Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico? All the Basics Please: Success and Problem Stories, etc.

Hey guys I have a weird (but maybe not so weird?) question... I have a 6 month old baby and still breastfeeding. I've read that having the surgery is fine etc but what I am worried about is whether they would let us have our baby with us. My husband would come with me so he would take full baby duty and I will have plenty of stored milk etc for her but I don't want to go 4 or 5 days without her, and if I can't take her then my husband has to look after her by himself which means I go to Mexico alone, which isn't something that I would want to do. Is it weird to want to bring your infant? Does any particular clinic cater to this at all? Angeles Hospital doesn't (already checked) but I had already decided against them as their surgeon doesn't have the best reviews despite being classed as in the top ten weight loss surgeons worldwide.

I don't think you could have her overnight with you, as all guests get sent home eventaully, but OCC does let you have guests in your room. You should call or email and ask.

As far as Mexico is concerned, here were the benefits I found:

• Cost - HUGE, especially if you can self pay
  • Infection rate - much lower on international scale (rooms were bigger, single occupancy, much less equipment/surfaces to wipe down, they had crews in to mop three times a day).
  • Much less idiotic "CYA against lawsuits" than in the US. So no idiot classes, screenings et. al. Most of this is to screen out the worst candidates who are only looking at this because insurance pays for it. Nearly everyone in Mexico I met did their own research and preparation.
  • Doctors do very good job of explaining their expertise. Why? They know they are selling to an international audience. Made research easier.

My biggest problem? I was talked into spending an extra day than I thought I needed on recovery. Was board to death. Only plus, found a GNC at mall near hospital and found Isopure Protein.

Yes my family balked. They put tons of pressure on me not to do it. Finally convinced my mom (retired RN) to go with me. That got everyone to shut up.

I really appreciate all the replies here. I am keeping Mexico as an option. I just bought an Obamacare insurance plan off the exchange and if they approve me I'm going to have the surgery here in Chicago. If not, I'm off to Mexico.

1. Complications - I experienced none. I have had some pain on and off on my left side but that normally has happened after I have overdone it. I had surgery on the 7th and was back to work on the 12th... i have been really tired but have taken it easy and spent weekends on the couch.

2. Clean and Safe? - Yes. Hospitals and clinics in Mexico are clean and safe. I had no complaints, there was always a nurse with me or a dr, they were constantly cleaning the clinic. I had a nurse assigned just to me and great care. i was move to their recovery house. There i also had amazing care. The dr came and checked me out and there was a dr that spent the night in the recovery house if i needed anything.

3. How did you convince your family? - I didn't. The only person that knows i did this was my husband. He wasnt thrilled but i just did it. I needed to make a change and this is for myself.

4. General Experience - i would recommend Long Term VSG to any of my friends and i have no regrets. Painful um YES! my stomach was killing me when i woke up.. but they give you painkillers. Having the drain pulled out is a blessing and a curse, super painful when pulled out but it stopped a lot of the pain i was feeling from having it in, once it was out. I am exhausted easy but i am also barely eating. I do get all my Protein and Water in and that is key if you dont you will be hurting. I also am not rushing foods.. i ate plenty to get me here.. :) I am on day 21 and counting!! Goodluck

How did those of you who already had surgery choose your surgeon / facility? I've done just a little bit of research so far and find a bunch of dr's in TJ with great reputations and feedback. Did you just go on a gut choice? Is there somewhere where doctors are rated to choose the best? I might be overthinking it, but just a little guidance would be awesome.!! TIA

How did those of you who already had surgery choose your surgeon / facility? I've done just a little bit of research so far and find a bunch of dr's in TJ with great reputations and feedback. Did you just go on a gut choice? Is there somewhere where doctors are rated to choose the best? I might be overthinking it, but just a little guidance would be awesome.!! TIA

I read a lot of personal accounts of patient experiences along with research into surgeons' credentials, facilities, number of procedures, years of experience, and post-op support/resources provided. You really need to do your due diligence and pick a surgeon you can feel comfortable and confident with. As long as you pick someone reputable, with a proven track record, you really can't go wrong. There are many great surgeons in Mexico!

Hello.. My name is Anita I'm 5" 6 340 looking into getting sleeved in Mexico..my fiance really doesn't want me to go there but I'm self pay and it's affordable for me..He's really wondering why so cheap, even after explaining he's still on the fence smh..I do understand his worries so can anyone give me some positive feed back on the sleeve surgery in Mexico..please!

Hello.. My name is Anita I'm 5" 6 340 looking into getting sleeved in Mexico..my fiance really doesn't want me to go there but I'm self pay and it's affordable for me..He's really wondering why so cheap, even after explaining he's still on the fence smh..I do understand his worries so can anyone give me some positive feed back on the sleeve surgery in Mexico..please!

Have him read through this thread and other posts on these forums. There are HUNDREDS upon hundreds of personal accounts of positive experiences with surgery in Mexico. As previously stated in this post, I have been to Mexico for surgery twice and both times I had great experiences and received excellent care.

Hey guys I have a weird (but maybe not so weird?) question... I have a 6 month old baby and still breastfeeding. I've read that having the surgery is fine etc but what I am worried about is whether they would let us have our baby with us. My husband would come with me so he would take full baby duty and I will have plenty of stored milk etc for her but I don't want to go 4 or 5 days without her, and if I can't take her then my husband has to look after her by himself which means I go to Mexico alone, which isn't something that I would want to do. Is it weird to want to bring your infant? Does any particular clinic cater to this at all? Angeles Hospital doesn't (already checked) but I had already decided against them as their surgeon doesn't have the best reviews despite being classed as in the top ten weight loss surgeons worldwide.

Which Dr. are you talking about at Hospital Angeles?

On 11/01/2018 at 3:53 AM, bjoel said:

Which Dr. are you talking about at Hospital Angeles?

Sorry, I really can't remember as it was 2 years ago. I did do thorough research and I ended up seeing Dr Ramos-Kelly.

I lost 100 lbs and hit 24 BMI within 10 months.

My mom had her surgery in Puerto Vallarta with Dr Joya. She loved it! The hospital was very clean. She did not feel any pain at all. She is super happy. We were worried about her going to Mexico but we did a lot of research and her PCP also checked the doctor's credentials.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app