Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else experience extreme Fatigue after surgery? I have the hardest time just doing simple things.

In the morning I feel great, but then by the afternoon I start to slow down and need a break. I think it's our bodies trying to recovery from the surgery as well as because we are eating/drinking so few calories.

I am just trying to hang in there and stay positive, with the notion that it will change with time.

Hang in there!

Totally normal.

I hit me like a brick wall at 2 weeks post op and lasted for about 2 more weeks.

I felt amazing the first 2 weeks than BOOM!

It'll get better, I swear it!

Right now I'm killing it on my recumbent bike! I have so much energy now! So weird!!

(I'm post op week 9)

You'll get there! You're body just went thru major trauma - it's saying "Wtf did you do to me?"

It'll be mad at you for a while and then it'll be thanking you every day for the rest of your life!

Just rest a little while longer and then go kill it and be great at it!!!

Edited by heather5565

I'm just curious...have you not had surgery before?

Surgery takes a toll on the body for many reasons. That's why as a rule, it takes AT LEAST 6 weeks to recover from pretty much any surgery. This surgery is even trickier because of the lack of calories. So yes, being tired is a normal reaction to recently having major surgery. As each week goes by, you should be feeling less tired and have more energy.

Yes. I napped A LOT my first 2 weeks post-op. Went back to work and while I feel great, I am absolutely WIPED. The hour commute each way is really difficult being so tired. Hopefully we'll catch up quick and be bouncing off the walls soon!

All your body's energy is going into healing, not into doing...

Keep up your fluids, keep up your Protein...

The fatigue will pass...

**EDIT - Apologies for the repeating.. I was half way thru my ost and work got in the way...**

I was exhausted and thought I would never feel my energy return. I would shower, rest, dress, rest, dry hair, rest. I napped a lot and couldn't clean the house. Then after two months everything went back to normal. ???? I cleaned the house today and noticed how much easier it is for me to do it even compared to pre surgery.

oh yes. Your body is healing and you're not taking in a lot of calories. I was very tired for weeks

I am 5 weeks post op and I'm still exhausted all the time. Well I wake up (I've been a morning person for as long as I can remember) with the energy of a child, I take full advantage of that. By noon I'm completely wiped out! I'm usually in bed, asleep by 9. I figure it's normal. I just had major surgery and I'm lucky if I get 400 calories a day, it's gonna take some time to get back to normal.

I had never had surgery before and thought that if I could go back to work in two weeks that meant I would be fine then. I was great but very fatigued. Gained more strength and energy every day but around 8 - 9 weeks is when I really started feeling "normal" again.