Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 post op and could use some support

After my surgery I had to receive 2 units of blood. Since being home I have no energy, and I hurt. I feel like when I read others posts everyone feels great. Is there anyone else who felt so badly for a few days (just want to lay around) and does it get better?

I had surgery last Monday. I felt pretty crappy the first few days, especially with the incision pain. Also, the first week I was very fatigued. Although I got up and moved/walked regularly (and it was an absolute bitch getting up and down from my recliner!) I fell asleep about every hour or two. I am not someone who ever can nap during the day so this need for sleep is quite unusual. I am starting to feel a bit better and am guessing by the end of this week I'll feel pretty good. Hang in there, the worst is over, now you just need to rest, make sure to get all your liquids and Protein and things will get better.

Your body is in a heal mode at the moment. Do your best to follow the daily recommended Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements and things should get better. It took me around 6 months to reach my "happy state" when all the minor problems were resolved.

I think everyone feels that low energy generally crappy feeling that first week. That feeling gets worse if you let yourself get dehydrated.

The thing that will help you to feel better is getting fluids in at this point. Given you are bypass I am guessing you are on Clear Liquids this week? I know I was only allowed Clear Liquids and they had not even started me on Protein until after my one week check in. That first week is rough but you have to sip all day long.

I promise, it will get better!

After my surgery I had to receive 2 units of blood. Since being home I have no energy, and I hurt. I feel like when I read others posts everyone feels great. Is there anyone else who felt so badly for a few days (just want to lay around) and does it get better?

Well I imagine that requiring 2 units of blood would leave you wiped out more than normal.

I was nothing near normal until 1.5 weeks post op. All I did was lay around, watch netflix, drink and made a point to walk around the house a bit. never even attempted exercise till I was six weeks out. When your body is telling you to rest, listen to it. There is no rush to get active after a major surgery!

Jenislosingit,

I had the same exact experience. Two units of blood and felt so sluggish after being discharge. My doctor recommended Iron to help get my energy back. Just keep hydrated and the pain will subside.

@@jenislosingit I'm sure having to do blood transfusions made it more difficult on you. But hang in there, and after a month or so you'll really start to notice a significant change in how you feel. The energy aspect might take a bit longer, but is perfectly normal.

I know it's hard believe, but you're going to reach a point where some days you forget completely that you even had surgery.

Stay hydrated, work on Protein, and keep walking! Best wishes!

Hi there. I'm new to posting but not to the site- I've been lurking for a month now. I remember feeling exactly as you do during my first week post op. I thought everyone on the site was a flat out liar - as it seemed not one person spoke of the misery in week one. I was miserable!! I'm four weeks out tomorrow and now am at a stall. All in all I'm not wowed by the surgery but I'm hoping it eventually breaks all this and I'll be in a better place. I still have days even now when I don't feel well. I do gave great days too so I can tell you it doesn't last forever and certainly not at the misery level you're at now. I hope this helps.

Everyone responds differently. Some of us rebound quickly & others need a few days or even weeks to get back to normal. You had the additional trauma of requiring blood. Just focus on getting rest & staying hydrated. As your body heals your energy should return.

@@jenislosingit

While my recovery easy (no major complications, out of the hospital in two days) my first few days were rough. I hurt, was weak, couldn't get enough fluids in, didn't want anything but Water and questioned why I had the surgery in the first place.

Then I grew a little stronger, a little less in pain and was able to push through the lethargy to get up, starting walking and get in enough Protein. Getting in enough Protein is essential, as is staying hydrated. It is hard but it must be done in order to get over that icky, crappy, weak feeling.

Once I pushed myself to get my fluids in, get up and move, drink my Protein shakes, I was back to work after eleven days and have been going strong since. I am 2.5 months post-op and I have no regrets!

@@jenislosingit

In other words, it gets better, I promise and you'll look back on this time, thinking "I am so glad I had to get through that to be where I am right now, I'd do it over again in a heart beat!"

Hang in there! Stay positive! Sip, sip, sip and be patient with yourself.

I was 3 weeks of feeling like elephant crap! I was good in hospital, cause the cathed me 2 or 3 times a day. The day i was leaving they gave me a flu and pneumonia vaccine. I got a fever in car on way home (45 minutes). I had a high fever for a week. Then the real kicker.......constipation! I felt like an over filled helium balloon. That took another 4 days to remedy. The only part I was really happy about was the huge weight loss [50 pounds], that is what got me through it all because frankly it is very unpleasant! All I can say is hang on, try not to lose hope, and find a way to Celebrate and stay positive! If not for this website I probably would have found a rock to crawl under and gave up.

It will get better. Cram your Fluids and Protein down it does help. Even though you about want to cry cause your sick of them they will help... Felt the same way so tired but it will pass.. Your journey to a better you has already begun..

I hope you are starting to feel a bit better now. I had surgery on the 10th and also had 2 units transfused. I am just starting to pick up and feel somewhat normal. Weak but human again. Hopefully that will happen for you as well. I'm still feeling the surgery but definitely no pain.