Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spleen issues after a year and a half

I had my surgery in April 2014 and I lost 120 pounds, I reached my goal, but after eating too much sugar( pastries, candies and chocolates) for the last two months, I had to go for an ultrasound and the doctor told me my spleen was enlarged.i don't have pain, but my abdomen is swollen a little bit, and I have difficulty breathing, the doctor told me there is no medicine for that, and that I have to watch my diet.

Is the sugar a problem for the spleen? How can I reduce the size of my spleen? An acupuncturist told me about some red root tea.

This is the only issue I had after my sleeve, I did really good and this is the first problem I experienced after 18 months of surgery.also, my platelets are a little low but nothing to worry about the doctor said.and I also have so much stress at work that I am dealing with.can stress be enough to have that issue with the spleen?

Thanks a lot.

Soledad.

And you're talking to us (who aren't doctors) instead of an M.D. who specializes in these issues because ....?

Seriously, I have no idea what would cause this or what the best treatment for it would be.

Never even heard of any WLS patient with this problem before.

But if you google "enlarged spleen" you'll find plenty to freak you out. In other words, it could be due to any number of things -- which you'll surely need further testing to find out about.

IMHO, you should be consulting with a hematologist.

Good luck.

I didn't say that I chose to talk here instead of talking to my doctor, I already talked to my primary doctor and he said the blood work wasn't bad, and I read everything about spleen problems in Google too, I am just posting this here to see if anybody had that issue, which could be only a result of too much stress too, and see how people deal with that problem.

Thanks.

My doctor reported my spleen was enlarged during my sleeve surgery. They did an ultrasound that confirmed it was enlarged, but the bloodwork was normal and they had no idea why. Removing the spleen is problematic for many reasons, and produces more negative side effects than say a gallbladder or tonsils. Your acupuncturist is well intentioned, but has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Red root tea? Jesus Christ, no, tea will not reduce organ size.

Don't worry about your spleen. Leave it be, stick to your diet plan, and if any other symptoms come up, report them to your doctor.

Thanks a lot for your comment.

It is just I am really worried and anxious because of this, I know that has nothing to do with the surgery which was a year and a half ago, but I wanted to post this to see if somebody else had this issue, I saw my primary doctor yesterday and the ultrasound says" borderline enlarged spleen", and the size is 13.8, my platelets are good since the lowest are 140 and I have 138 so it is not too bad, the doctor told me there is no need to do anything but my mind is still thinking about that all the time, I started to be like really anxious , out of breath and palpitations all the time, and I am reading stuff in Google all the time about what the enlarged spleen can cause, like press the lungs, I am a smoker and I can even smoke one cigarette after I read that, I don't want to become paranoid!!!!!!!!

I also started to feel some pain after the doctor told about the enlarged spleen....... I can't believe it!!!!!!!

About the acupuncturist, u think he meant about some natural teas that can help with the spleen function.

Chinesse culture has a lot of natural options.

Omgosh! I had the sleeve in 2011, and I turned into a sugar addict after I stopped alcohol in 2015. I still love sugar but, it’s so funny you say that. Also, my platelets have been low since 2012. I have a heavy feeling on my left side, enlarged spleen only slightly, and I also have been doing accuputure for a year faithfully 1-2 a week.

i am a worry wort and why i am stressed it’s 10x worse. My spleen didn’t start until after I stopped drinking. I didn’t follow my diet after surgery:(((