Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of Answering the Same Questions Over and Over? - Help Requested for Solution!

Hi Vets,

I checked with Alex and he gave me the go-ahead to collect information that would go into a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section that is easy to find on the Website (actually he asked if I could help coordinate it when I asked if we could do it)! That may help alleviate some of the concerns I've seen lately about re-answering questions over and over and give a resource to those that need it. I believe it would be easier than searching the forum because it is hard to figure out an exact topic to search at times and as a newbie, searching may not be the first thought of how to find information.

The vets have been answering (or at least viewing) the questions over and over so I am posting this in the vets section because I feel you are the experts for this but am eager to also hear from people that are not vets as well.

So three things I am asking for to collect the information for Alex to post:

a) Topics for FAQs (see beginner list below)

B) Information to put into the FAQs

c) Helpful hints on how best to provide the information and set it up (any web experts out there that can help advise?) Do we need to separate out for sections for each type of procedure or is the information universal for all procedures? How best to collect the topics and information to go into the topics? (I know SharePoint would be good but I don't think we have that with this site.)

I'm sure you long timers have a list of what should be there, but here is few to start:

- Hormone changes after surgery and impact on mood

- Alcohol when if at all?

- What to bring to the hospital for surgery (I saw someone has started a list already so this one may be close to being done for content!)

- Surgery in Mexico

- Pre-Op diet

- Post-op diet

- Maintenance diet

- How often should I weigh and pros and cons of different frequencies

- Stalls and what to do

- Plastic surgery

- Surgery regret

- Challenges pre-op

- Challenges post-op

- Challenges in maintenance

- Insurance approval and what to do if not accepted

- Helpful hints for each stage

- What to drink to keep Water amounts to where they should be each day

- What to eat to get in the Protein

- What not to eat and why

- What to expect day of surgery.

- What exercise works best at each phase?

- Thing I should definitely call my doctor right away about

I know that we have many different inputs from our own doctors and NUTs and would need to preface the FAQs with the information that your doctor's and NUT's advice should be followed over what is posted here, but it is to give folks an idea of what we have been told by outs for our WLS.

Any other ideas are welcome and appreciated!

Thank you!

Who should I tell about the surgery, I have seen that question asked several times.

@@tcrehm -- brilliant idea in a bunch of ways. My first suggestion for an FAQ heading:

Nervousness before surgery (meaning "tips for staying calm that week")

That's it for starters. I'll be back with more. Now, since you asked...

My opinion on FAQ organization: For ease of use, the headings should be written with the most commonly-used words and brief and broad as possible. For example, Water/Fluid Intake. Then, subheadings would precede paragraphs (again, brief as possible) on Water alone; other liquids that count toward the Water quota; liquids that don't qualify (e.g., I was told not to count anything with caffeine) and whatever else I may not be mentioning. The fewer the main headings, the easier the FAQ's will be to navigate, but not so few that the info under each is unwieldy. .

Nb: The section will be a huge help in several ways, but it won't eliminate endlessly repeated questions. Human beings tend to think, "My situation is different from all others, so I'll ask for myself." Some are over cautious. Others are feeling anxiety and need greater reassurance. Then there are the ones who really do have post-surgery problems.

Special diets:

Lactose/dairy allergies

Vegetarian diets

Organic options

There was a very good article posted a few months back about what to look for when choosing a program, particularly taking after care into consideration.

Here's my other question:

How do we encourage people to check the FAQs or do a search before asking a question? From what I see a lot of the redundancy comes from people logging on and instead of searching, just posting their question or concern.

Gall bladder problems

Reflux

Protein Drink preferences

@@BLERDgirl I'm thinking that when someone asks a question that is covered under FAQs we can point that person to that topic in FAQs. If Alex makes it easy to find the FAQs section by putting it in several places in the Webpage then that increases the chance of people finding the answers themselves without having to ask.

If you find the article that you are mentioning above, please send me the link and I will be sure to include it.

Here's the article.

Also tied in with the reflux discussion should be some discussion on PPI's what they do and how they work.

food for each stage of diet?

"Does ______ count as pureed?"

"I'm sick of eggs, can I eat _______?"

"I'm in ____ stage, can I eat tacos?"

Edited by Tssiemer1

"I'm ____ months out and I've only lost _____ is that normal?"

Oooh! Some disclaimer about surgeons preferences.

"My surgeon said ______ is that true?"

Commonly used abbreviations.

Just things I've seen.

Not a veteran, but experienced with online forums. Is it possible to put these as a "sticky" so they are always at the top?

And let me just throw out there that the very first topic, in flashing lights (preferably with sirens) is "things you should call your doctor about immediately". The healthcare professional in me has gotten very alarmed over a few posts.

In no way am I a compiler, editor, designer or anything else of the FAQ section, but I will be a user and, therefore, want it to make sense. No FAQ I've consulted at any website has been the ultimate resource. They are intended to be quick references pertaining to the site's purpose and a guide to navigating the site.. What follows are a few examples of things I think should be considered.

for the FAQ to answer questions like "Can I eat [fill in the blank]?" and "What is the best-tasting, chewable Vitamin?" (not to mention questions on other, near-infinite subjects) would require listing every item in the supermarket and drugstore and compiling a list of every BP member's favorite Gummy. Makes no sense.

Medical conditions that are included should be limited to those that have a bearing on or are affected by WLS. GERD/Reflux, yes. Tonsillitis, no. Gall bladder, maybe??? There are plenty others that are appropriate to include, but it's too easy for the list to get ridiculous. There are plenty of other sources, including WebMD. No need to duplicate what dozens of other sites and plain, old Uncle Google provide.

No way should the FAQ interpret whether what a doctor tells a patient is accurate. BP is not a doctor and, even if it were, it wouldn't be the doctor of the person asking the question. Beside that, FAQ is not a type-in-your-question feature.

@@2goldengirl's recommendation to start with a list of things for which people should contact their doctors is s-o-o-o-o right. I'd like to add that it be made just as clear from the outset that one's own doctor is the ultimate source of info and guidance. That, if you will, is the Prime Directive.

I'll go back to my corner now.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

A FAQ won't keep people from posting questions looking for answers that have already been discussed in great length.

There is a search button that could easily be utilized that would allow many posters to have never needed to make a single post.

And that's the thing; people want to post THEIR questions to talk about THEIR concerns, it is part of the process, it is part of our nature to reach out, feel comforted, feel included, feel as if we belong. It isn't that these people are lazy or dumb; it is that they want to talk, they want to feel less alone and confused about where they are in their journey.

It is important we give people that opportunity.

I think the section should be the very first one at the top of the main page. Don't put FAQs all over the different forums.

When you sign up to be a member, you should receive a message and a link to the FAQs with a big START HERE notation.

Make the FAQs read-only. People should not be able to post questions or comments on them.