Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is next week.... I'm doing so bad with this pre-op diet

I've been on the pre-op diet for a month now. Ever since they scheduled my surgery I've been slacking with my meals. Pretty much haven't been following it all weekend. I feel awful physically of course. And I'm regretting my mistakes. My surgery is next Tuesday. Has anyone else been through this? I really need to try harder.

I had a two week pre op liquid diet and struggled so bad. You will read and get responses from others who ask if you really want this or to try harder but it really did not help. Only made me feel worse. I talked to my doctor about it and while i mostly stuck to the diet only slipping a few times, I still slipped. with veggies so I would not completely set myself back. Doc was okay with this. The three days before surgery in completely stuck it out and once the surgery happened it was a piece of cake!! Without the cake! No hunger pains and no problem at all with sticking to the two week post op liquid diet. I have not regretted my decision and I have really been awesome sticking to everything now. You will do it! My advice is talk to your doc and see if he will allow veggies as a "cheat" meal. Like he told me, if you had it all under control then you wouldn't need the surgery!! Good luck!!

Will your dr. even do the surgery if you have not followed the plan? Have you lost any weight yet at all?

The following words are not intended to make you feel worse but to help you focus on what is important.

The pre-op phase is critical to not just getting the surgery done but to all that surgery will require from you.

It is a challenge to re-program your brain and the way it responds to food. It is a challenge to allow your liver to shrink for surgery to be completed safely. It is a challenge to get you adjusted to the diet immediately post-op. It is a challenge to make you accountable for the decision(s) you have made.

Not losing enough prior to your surgical date can lead to an incomplete surgery. Gaining weight prior to your surgical date can postpone your surgery and in some cases give your insurance the platform to deny you surgery.

You owe it to yourself, your health, your future to give this entire journey all you have to offer. It does NOT get easier when surgery is complete. It will remain a challenge to eat what is on your surgeon's plan. Six months later if habits have not been changed you could ultimately derail your weight loss.

You have already done the hard part by making the decision to have WLS. The rest is all about supporting that decision and making it a success.

My post is also not shared in the spirit of trying to make you feel bad about your lack of compliance to your pre op diet. However, this is a wake up call for you to literally get your head in the game.

WLS adjust parts of your anatomy, but does nothing to "fix" the mind game that most of us have engaged in with becoming obese. " Head hunger" is something you need to understand and develop coping techniques to manage. Your weight loss journey long term success depends how well you manage your decisions and recognize the difference between authentic hunger and head hunger.

Just going on the pre op diet is a major shock to your body. That said, the coping techniques are essential.

Be honest with yourself and your surgeon. Post op you will be more challenged than now. Your long term weight loss success will be easier to achieve and maintain if your mind is in the right place.

Best wishes for a successful journey to health...

For the past month I've followed the plan accordingly. Don't know why I've slipped.

Yes I have lost 15 pounds with the pre-op plan. It allows me veggies except potatoes, corn and Beans. Just this weekend has been bad!

I don't have to worry about insurance cancelling because I am a self pay. Just need to stay focused and on track.

@@silkouj

Stay focused! You can do this! Fight through the temptation.

There have been a couple of ladies on here that woke up with incomplete surgeries due to their livers being too big.

That was my biggest fear before going into the operating room.