Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Music to sweat to...

G'day all..

Just a question for you regular exercise type folk out there..

Is it weird that I'm setting myself musical goals in the exercise department?

Let me explain...

I've been concentrating on weights and muscle retention since I got gutted..

I've not been too concerned with 'fitness' because of my size...

(For those who don't know, I started out at over 500 pounds - 255kg was actually heaviest ever)

Anyway, as my fitness was S**T, I decided to change the way of setting my goals as far as time spent doing cardio goes...

I started by finding a playlist on my Spotify that was about an hour long.

I came up with Green Day's Bullet In a Bible album. (1h 4mins 56secs)..

I jumped on the stationery cycle, pressed 'play' and off I went...

American Idiot came and went, no worries...

I was flying along until about half way thru Jesus of Suburbia when all of a sudden, I was done..

And I mean done!!

I managed to struggle my way thru to the end of the song and this became my minimum...

Now, at this time, I wasn't looking at how long each track was or anything too technical like that...

I just knew that tomorrow, I had to get further than the end of Jesus of Suburbia before I was allowed to finish..

A few tomorrows came and went, as did Holiday, Are We the Waiting and St. Jimmy, and suddenly I was up to 25 minutes..

Still I had no idea how long I was actually cycling for, but I was setting, and reaching, my goals each day...

Well, Longview, Hitchin' a Ride, Brain Stew and Basket Case all became daily cycling songs over the ensuing couple of weeks...

And then Monday came...

A new week...

A new target...

King for a Day/Shout was to be my next victim..

Yep, all 8mins and 47secs of it...

I was aiming to increase my cardio by over 20% without easing off on the resistance...

So away I went...

Now, this song isn't the slowest around...

And for someone who dabbles in drumming, the challenge was to keep pace with the beat of the song...

For the love of God, who made this rule??!??!?!

Well, I survived...

I'm not sure how...

In fact, today I not only survived thru King for a Day/Shout, but I also managed to leave Wake Me Up When September Ends in my considerable wake...

So all of this means two things...

1. This morning I rode the stationery bike for 52mins 27secs without taking a break. For a guy that still weighs around 370pounds, that's some kick-arse kinda s**t...

2. I only have Minority, Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Good Riddance (12mins 29secs total) before Bullet In A Bible officially becomes my bitch...

Good Riddance hey?

Kinda fitting, don't you think...

Thanx for reading...

i really like this idea! I never thought about this way of exercising to music and I think I may try this :)

I do the same thing on my treadmill days. I do classes 3 days a week and the treadmill 2 times a week. During class, it is easy not to focus on the clock but there is a clock on the treadmill! I focus on the songs and getting through the playlist! Good luck on your journey!

Wow! Sounds like a great idea! I have sometimes walked with the idea than an average song is around 3 minutes (in my world) but I never really had a specific track. I just listened to random music. I want to try your way now! Thanks for the idea and keep it up!

I've been contemplating getting into yoga...

So far it is has only started with the contemplation.

That's a great idea!

I actually have these looooooong mixed together songs on my Playlist. Some of them are like an hour long. All Michael Jackson songs remixed and amalgamated and such.

The best songs of 2014 all remixed and amalgamated and so on.

It helps pass the time for sure! Unless you've listened to that track too many times and you skip it... then you've literally just skipped an hours worth of music!

Another thing I do is put my towel over the keyboard thingy so I can't see the time or what interval is coming up or anything. This way I don't dwell on how much time I have left and concentrate on keeping up to the beat of the songs. :)

Keep up the great work!!!

@@Ashlegal

Contemplation is a great place to start...

Soon you'll get so used to thinking about it that you just take a leap and do it...

I genuinely hope you do...

@@heather5565

The towel over the stats screen has been happening since day 1.

There's nothing worse than feeling like you've been going for 40mins but when you look it's actually been just 3mins 12secs or something...

@@Ashlegal - do it, it will tone you like nothing else, and the balance and flexibility are great.

Yoga! Yoga! Yoga!

Do it! Do it! Do it!

????