Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting caught up on the nevers

As my surgery date approaches, I'm feeling this feeling of mourning the foods I'll never eat again. Like a bowl of cheerios and milk. Or a sandwich. I know this is probably normal but I'm getting really caught up in the downsides and not the upsides. (Weight loss! Self Esteem! Smaller clothes! Better Health!)

I know that if it's not on my surgeon's list, I probably won't eat it. I'm with the program. I'm in. But there is still this sadness.

So I'm asking for a bit of encouragement. What foods did you come back to? What foods did you find good replacements for? What don't you miss?

I think that's normal! I'm almost 4 months out and my tastes have changed so much I really don't miss anything. I think that not having processed food and carbs for so long has eliminated my cravings for it. I've replaced most carbs with cauliflower creations. At times I miss a food mentally but no real cravings. Hope this helps!

You'll someday eat another sandwich or a bowl of Cereal or a scoop of ice cream or a burger with fries.

You will only say goodbye to the way you eat them NOW. Your ideas about eating your favorite foods will change and you will discover alternatives that not only are healthy but you'll like them more than their previous counterparts.

Maybe it will be a high Protein Cereal with some unsweetened almond milk or a sandwich made with "carbless" bread or a a lettuce wrap burger with crispy baked green Beans. The idea is to not take away your favorites but to make them better and to help secure your weight loss success.

Last night I was craving Thai food. I searched a few recipes and discovered one that sounded satisfying. It was a deconstructed version of Pad Thai. It had all the flavors, textures and smells of my previous love but had all the health benefits of something much better.

It can be tricky and the further out you get, the easier to eat past favorites grows. You have to reprogram your brain to think of foods differently. You'll find new favorite foods and won't miss the old ones.