Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I some medical issues that were never linked to my obesity. Those "issues" have required pain management and I'll be lucky if I can make it to 50 and not be in a wheelchair (or at least need a walker to get around).

With the management of my pain I am taking a semi-powerful narcotic and I have noticed after surgery it is not as effective.

Prior to surgery I had asked (repeatedly) if any adjustments to my meds were needed after surgery. Not my PCP, my PM, my Surgeon or my Rheum had any concerns with MOST of the meds I was taking. A few adjustments were needed but my pain meds went untouched.

Today I mentioned the issue of effectiveness to my PM and she said "it is possible, let me do some research." Okay, that's nice but in the meantime I am kinda in a lot of pain. Actually no, not kinda am in a lot of pain.

There is a thin line in the Pain Management community between getting the meds you need and asking for more, or stronger or something different. I don't cross that line even though I am a legit patient.

So I left her office and wondered, "has anyone else in WLS community experienced something similar?"

Edited by Ashlegal

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. That is an awful thing to deal with. I don't have that kind of issue, but I can tell you that my endocrinologist told me that my Synthroid (thyroid med) and possibly HRT may not absorb as well and we may have to adjust doses and sure enough I have had to increase my Synthroid and my anti-depressant. So I suppose it would make sense that your med would work differently also. I hope your PM doctor can find a solution that will help soon. Don't let them off the hook. Call them on Monday and see what they found out. :) I know that doesn't help you over the weekend though...

Thanks for caring!

I will have to call first thing in the morning. This weekend was a bear to get through and I can't maintain my responsibilities in this much pain. Ugh!

I guess it is par for the course and something I'll just have to figure out.

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. That is an awful thing to deal with. I don't have that kind of issue, but I can tell you that my endocrinologist told me that my Synthroid (thyroid med) and possibly HRT may not absorb as well and we may have to adjust doses and sure enough I have had to increase my Synthroid and my anti-depressant. So I suppose it would make sense that your med would work differently also. I hope your PM doctor can find a solution that will help soon. Don't let them off the hook. Call them on Monday and see what they found out. :) I know that doesn't help you over the weekend though...

Hi, I am so so sorry your going through this. I am on 120 mgs of morephine everyday due to my endometreiosus.

I had a HUGE problem after my surgery.

What happens is you build a tollerance up and they needs to almost double or double in a half your pain meds or change to a stronger medication.

Because you have been on pain managment for a while, you feel pain more then a regular person having the same surgery.

Then after about 14-16 days on the new meds, you have to dertox down to your regular does.

It is a tough road but I hope your PCP, Pain Doctor AND surgeon should get on a confrence call and fix this asap!!!!

It's NOT in your head!!!!!

Go to the ER if you need to, to get relief.

Good LUCK!

WE ARE HERE FOR Y0U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

***UPDATE***

After meeting with my PM and then again with my PCP, it has been decided that as with many malabsorption issues related to having Gastric Bypass surgery, oral pain medications are no longer an option.

I bring this to the attention of others because, I don't want anyone to suffer the way I have. I thought I was going crazy, my doctors looked at me as if I had gone crazy and I was scared. I was scared that my pain would always be the center of my existence and no one would understand.

If you are experiencing issues related to chronic pain and the lack of relief you are getting from your prescribed pain meds, don't be afraid to bring it to your doctor's attention! There is a wealth of information online, in medical journals and in case studies that support evidence that suggests Gastric Bypass patients have issues with oral pain medications managing their chronic pain.

No one deserves to be miserable, especially when you are trying to support a healthier, more active, more confident life.

I am so glad they listened to you and you will get some relief!