Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restricted But Still Full of Desire (the other kind)

So I just had my second fill and I feel some of restriction. It could be tighter, but that will come in a few weeks. The problem is that all the desire to eat, and taste yummy things, and fill myself up (in some emotionally tied way) is all still there. I don't know what I thought it would be like, but I didn't think it would be like this. Does this go away? How do I change my brain to view things differently? I'm confused and a little discouraged.:)

Nicole

Aloha

4 day post-op, got my band in Honolulu and just to let you know. I would sell first born child for a whopper with bacon and cheese, Fries and King size diet coke. But I'll settle for a Protein shake... hang in there I sure/hope/pray it will get better

Aloha

Big Wave Dave

I'm three weeks out. Part of it is just sheer will power. I'm self pay and I HAVE to make this work for me. Even though I've been hungry I have not eaten more than the quantities they recommended. I never eat on a full size plate. I use the desert plate so that I control my portions and it looks like more. I have had tiny tiny tastes of things I shouldn't have if I can't resist.

I was a diet coke-aholic and have been for 20 years. I had my first tiny sip this past weekend and it wasn't as good as I thought. Kindof like when I quit smoking, later when I tried just a little it wasn't the same.

My only hope is that I get to the "sweet spot" soon and know that this band will keep me from over eating. I try to stop eating when I'm satisfied rather than full because it's uncomfortable; and i'm really scared of hurting my new tummy!!

Good luck!!!

Hi Nitty,

I know the feeling. The few times I have given into that urge to eat, I got pretty sick, so just remembering those times make me behave myself! You just want to make sure you have enough restriction, so when you do give in, the band pretty much won't let you.

Sorry Nitty, I wish there were more I could tell you about getting over these cravings, maybe someone else will come along and have a better answer. I know the feeling of just wanting to take huge bite of something good!

I'm on my second fill also, and feel I may need to be "tweaked" also. I seem to be stuck at the same weight now for a few weeks.

I'm hoping these "cravings" and "feelings" will ease up after a while? For me, I think it's just the food addiction itself, I miss the comfort I used to get at certain times of the day from eating.

Have had 2 fills - last took me all the way to 8.5cm of possible 10cm, and I still don't feel discernably restricted. Had to rejoin Weight Watchers to get some motivation fm somewhere else and tho I try to watch, weight loss is extremely slow and I feel I'm getting no help fm my band at all. What little loss I've had since 1st few wks of deprivation diets has been from sheer strength of will alone and not at all from any sense of fullness or satisfaction with smaller portions. Is it possible that at first installation, the band can be applied in variable measures of tightness and maybe mine was too loose to begin with???? Does anybody know about this aspect of the procedure or hardware?

Also, is there anyone in or near Toronto, Ontario (Canada or Stateside) who will do fills for patients who had banding elsewhere? Tks for any tips or comments.

Lorrie Zuzek in Canada

Hang in there! Our brain is always playing trick on us and I can assure you that after 2,5yrs. with my band there's no miraculous solution for that, besides lots of will power and tons of effort. Loosing weight has been a constant struggle for me, I'm loosing very slowly and after 6 fills still didn't reach my sweet spot. On the other hand, this band has been the best thing I did for myself and it's my last hope. It has to work, I have to make it work, can't give up now. It's been a long journey, but worth it.

niki

I am not banded yet, but have been working on the emotional aspects. I try to think of my body as a machine and realize food is only needed to keep it going. As for the emotional eating, I write, read, draw, do anything to take my mind of of wanting to eat. I think for some of us, eating is like and addiction and we should look at it that way. Of course, I am not banded yet and my feelings may change. Right now though, I have already replaced one meal a day with a Protein Shake and have been teaching myself to understand that it is okay to feel hungry, it is not the end of the world.

The way I explained it to dbf was....

I was full, but that little nerve in the back of my mouth was tingling WANTING MORE........

After a few times of going ahead and eating it and then having the OH CRAP moment........ the tingling has gone away.....

PB'ng while my 3 year old watched in horror, begging me to stop RIGHT NOW ... also works :)