Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh, I was unaware of that! Hopefully the dietician and my surgeon will understand then why I've gained since they knew this month is my quitting month but also maybe I can get it all off before my next appt

@@JudeaJordon

Since when is speaking the truth "arrogant"?

Fact. Smoking hinders healing.

Fact. Smoking is bad for your health, so trying to be healthier by having WLS and losing weight while continuing to smoke is counter productive.

I quit before my surgery for those reasons. I used the vape for a couple of months before surgery until I was down to 0 nicotine, then lost interest in the vape. I had smoked for 25 years. If I could do it, anyone can. Was it easy? Nope. But you just gotta want it bad enough. Same with making this surgery successful. Is it easy? Nope. But you just gotta want it bad enough.

Sorry I can't sugar coat things enough for some people.

@@FrankiesGirl - "I count vaping in there too since the early results on vaping are not looking good for long term health"

Not looking to pick a fight, just curious what you've seen on this. I've been looking at this for a while and have not seen anything that has scared me off of vaping. But I'm always ready to change if there is a compelling reason.

BTW, this is interesting for anyone looking to quit via vaping:

http://acsh.org/2015/03/dr-polosa-italian-vapor-and-tobacco-expert-reviews-e-cigs-in-bmc-medicine/

This may be the least harmful way to quit tobacco out there, and it's worth exploring. But what's interesting is that it came without the help of big pharma, and government has not found a way to tax it (nor really regulate it). The rates of vaping are now up to 1 in 10 adults vape, while smoking rates have dropped by almost the same amount of growth. What this means is millions of people are going to live, who would have died due to their addiction to sucking in burning vegetable matter into their lungs. By switching to a Water vaper/nicotine non-combustible product they will save their lives and countless heartache for others.

I'm sure what you mean by arrogant is,please don't judge me. I won't. Quitting smoking sucks, so hard . And trying to eat healthy at the same time is HARD, good luck, I think when you're really ready you will quit. I did 4 years ago,not because of my head k th, just the cost. Just being honest.

@@FrankiesGirl - "I count vaping in there too since the early results on vaping are not looking good for long term health"

Not looking to pick a fight, just curious what you've seen on this. I've been looking at this for a while and have not seen anything that has scared me off of vaping. But I'm always ready to change if there is a compelling reason.

@@OKCPirate no problem. I get it.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/electronic-cigarettes

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2015/07/ecigarette.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3222398/Infographic-shows-effects-vaping-e-cigarette-just-harmful-real-deal.html

You are still inhaling nicotine, one of the most addictive substances on earth. You are inhaling into your body a poison. Really. It used to be used as a pesticide.

From the wiki:

Tobacco was introduced to Europe in 1559, and by the late 17th century, it was used not only for smoking but also as an insecticide. After World War II, over 2,500 tons of nicotine insecticide were used worldwide, but by the 1980s the use of nicotine insecticide had declined below 200 tons. This was due to the availability of other insecticides that are cheaper and less harmful to mammals.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

It absolutely will still affect your nervous system, vascular systems, and is believed to be a carcinogen or at the very least a tumor promoter.

From the dailymail link:

As for what users are inhaling, vaping may cause inflammation on the user's lungs. According to a study published in the journal PLOS this year, the inhalation of e-cigarette vapors damage the epithelial cells in the lungs, which leave them at risk for infection.

The study's author, Qun Wu, told Yahoo Health earlier this year that e-cigarette liquids, whether they have nicotine or not, 'inhibit lungs' innate immunity', which helps it defend itself against infections.

And while glycerin, one of the ingredients in e-cigarettes, is considered safe in foods, Mr Foulds argues that eating something is not the same as 'putting it into a vapor and inhaling it.'

'A Mars bar is safe to eat, but I wouldn’t want to inhale it,' he explained. 'If something is safe as a food, it’s not highly harmful, but we don’t know what happens when you inhale it.'

You are also inhaling a few different types of glycerine and flavorings. None of these things should be in your lungs, and they all will have unknown effects on your body since vaping is still so new. Preliminary studies are right in saying that it's better than smoking (because the smoke/tar and other known carcinogens are pretty horrid in tobacco smoke), but I think it's pretty short-sighted to assume that vaping isn't harmful for long-term usage.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

@@FrankiesGirl - One of my gripes with Big Pharma is nicotine is OK in gum and Patches, but not in vaping. Nicotine is an interesting drug, it is simultaneously calming and an amphetamine. The number of receptors seems to increase if you start before 25 (which is why I've always pushed my kids to not use a h*okas, or cigars until they are at least 25).

For whatever reason, I'm self medicating on and do not function well without nicotine. I went three weeks cold turkey and my productivity was nil. I pulled out the vaping as a 'Hail Mary' trying not to go back to smoking and after doing it had almost instant clarity of thought again.

But the nicotine as insecticide thing is pure propaganda. Sorry it is. Polypropylene glycerol is damn safe as an inhalant and everyone knows it.

Dr. Wu's study was with cells from dead kids.

"In the lab, the vapor triggered a strong immune response in the epithelial cells of tissue samples donated by deceased children and the exposed cells appeared to be more vulnerable to infection by cold-causing rhinovirus" All he could conclusively say was "if dead kids use this they may be at greater risk of the common cold."

Come on. Don't give into alarmism. Especially in context of smoking/not smoking. It's not even close.

All I have seen is a bunch of "we don't like it because it looks like smoking." All the while I saw all signs of my COPD go away, and no increase in anything bad in three years of follow up with my doctor before I had my WLS surgery...and there is no smell, I have never had a girl friend complain.

There is a huge difference between burning vegies and vaping. 25-30% of American adults are completely addicted to nicotine. They still smoked even though they KNEW its dangerous. Yet since vaping came on the scene, nearly one in 10 of all Americans now vape, reducing the smoking rate to 17%. That is a good thing. It shouldn't be maligned by "maybe it does something." SMOKING DOES BAD THINGS. No if and's or butts.

The junk science against vaping is as bad as the crap that getting WLS makes you 4 times more likely to kill yourself. Total BS and when pressed the doctor who wrote the study admitted it to me via email today.

In short, please give me real facts and don't pee on me and tell me it's raining. I'm open to real facts. That's why I had WLS. My initial reaction to finding out how effective WLS was vs. Behavioral modification was "Oh BS." But after research, I had to agree, 80% chance vs less than 8%...yep it's worth the money. I am open to changing my mind. But not to non-sequesters.

Edited by OKCPirate

Congrats!!!! The first is the hardest! I'm on day 6

I did it!!! Day 1 smoke free!!

Good job!! You can do it! I know you can!

@Leesa926@sarahh2.0 I am very glad for you. Quitting sucks, but it is a great investment in you and your health. Smoking taxes every system in your body, inflames your arteries and eventually makes the most virile guy limp...so don't do it. (umm, not that has ever happened to me, just saying)

@@pirate I am using vape some but have to see if that's ok. Doc said quit smoking didn't mention nicotine test.... it's actually easier than I thought so will get off nicotine flavor quickly but just wondered what doc will say...

@@Leesa926 - I'm all in favor of anyone getting off of caffeine, nicotine, alcohol etc. I'm also in favor of harm avoidance. Tobacco in the forms of smoking or chewing are the most dangerous. Hands down. Snuss, lowers risk. Vaping, no known problems. I hate to tell you this, but it all depends on your surgeon and provider. I didn't hide my vaping in Mexico. They didn't object. And it didn't derail my progress, nor healing. Now the Plural of antidotes is NOT evidence. What worked for me does NOT EVER MEAN it is acceptable to everyone nor every surgery center. I am only sharing my own experience. Please understand that. PLEASE.

@pirate. No worries, I understand. Honestly the fact I can quit smoking is amazing to me so I am more than thrilled. Just know my doc said quit smoking 6 weeks prior to, have to check with him on vape. No biggie I quit for surgery, if he says no vape, I will be off that too :)

@@Leesa926 - by the way check with @@Babbs about weaning off nicotine, she did it and even got off the vape, I never have.

Edited by OKCPirate

My dr requires that you quit 90 days before surgery and never again. I think it's way more important to stop before surgery asap to make your healing go as smoothly as possible. I have food addiction and I can't imagine how hard smoking would be on top of that. Good luck to you, hang in there!