Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Watch out: Your irritated intestines & you...

Ended up in the ER, little stay in the hospital due to blocked intestines about 2 weeks after surgery.

Well hydrated, eating only purée & watching what I was eating turns out I have some inflammation & swelling - hopefully not permanent - which ended up creating blockages.

Amazingly painful, takes X-Ray & CT Scans to figure out - not something you want to encounter.

Back home & relaxing, on baby food and plenty of Water.< /p>

Watch what you eat, drink plenty & listen to your body!

What would you / should you have done differently to avoid this problem?

Or was it just deemed by your doctors to have been unavoidable?

Unavoidable but I'm definitely staying away from cream of wheat or anything else that could possibly expand.

Not that I had much of it but I've focused more on very well pureed Soups and [baby] foods without binders like apples, bananas & Pasta. Drink constantly, being hydrated really helps - thankfully I was not dehydrated or I could have had a longer stay.

Also getting away from the pain meds (which I was well on my way to) is a good start as they can cause another issue which does not help evacuate what little food you may be eating at the time.

Not sure if everyone is irregular or not but keep an eye on how you are out processing, I chalked it up to post-surgery irregularity & perhaps the pain meds but I was wrong.

Essentially the blockage was the cause of very intense pain (reminded me of waking up after surgery) and an inability to eat/drink anything additional - terrific as they have you drink contrast which was the tipping point for me later that evening.

My scans & fluoroscope tests did not show any hard kinks but certainly swelling & irritation from the procedure.

The solution was rest & a lot of IV fluids, if there is a recurring issue it will likely have to be resolved via additional surgery.

Scary!!

More educational than anything, good object lesson on why to stick to the diet (I do, 100%), to rest and to stay hydrated.

While I did not anticipate the return to the hospital (ER first, which always takes forever it seems) the net result was a good outcome and hopefully no long term issues.

I'm back home, tolerating foods well (puree only at this point) and my incisions and drain are at least superficially healed so that is all good for now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches