Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mentor/Sleeve Buddy in the Philadelphia Area?

I'm still waiting in my approval and surgery date but I know I would benefit from the experience of someone who has already regained their footing after surgery. I despise the therapist that runs the monthly support group at my local hospital, so I'm looking for someone who might be willing to support me through the transitional period just before and a couple months after surgery. I'm sure lots of questions will arise, and my hospital is inhospitable, slow to make appointments and generally unpleasant, so I know that I won't be leaning on them very much after my wounds have healed. Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy area.

I am very close to you. I'm in Germantown. I'm also vegetarian. Send me a PM if you have questions.

I'm still waiting in my approval and surgery date but I know I would benefit from the experience of someone who has already regained their footing after surgery. I despise the therapist that runs the monthly support group at my local hospital, so I'm looking for someone who might be willing to support me through the transitional period just before and a couple months after surgery. I'm sure lots of questions will arise, and my hospital is inhospitable, slow to make appointments and generally unpleasant, so I know that I won't be leaning on them very much after my wounds have healed. Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy area.

I live in Mt Airy, would be happy to support you! PM if interested.

I am very close to you. I'm in Germantown. I'm also vegetarian. Send me a PM if you have questions.

I didn't realize you were in Philly too. We should start a little circle of support.

I'm still waiting in my approval and surgery date but I know I would benefit from the experience of someone who has already regained their footing after surgery. I despise the therapist that runs the monthly support group at my local hospital, so I'm looking for someone who might be willing to support me through the transitional period just before and a couple months after surgery. I'm sure lots of questions will arise, and my hospital is inhospitable, slow to make appointments and generally unpleasant, so I know that I won't be leaning on them very much after my wounds have healed. Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy area.[bquote]

Oops, just noticed you said sleeve, I'm RNY

I didn't realize you were in Philly too. We should start a little circle of support.

I'm still waiting in my approval and surgery date but I know I would benefit from the experience of someone who has already regained their footing after surgery. I despise the therapist that runs the monthly support group at my local hospital, so I'm looking for someone who might be willing to support me through the transitional period just before and a couple months after surgery. I'm sure lots of questions will arise, and my hospital is inhospitable, slow to make appointments and generally unpleasant, so I know that I won't be leaning on them very much after my wounds have healed. Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy area.[bquote]

I an trying to decide between chestnut hill and barix. Any insite on experience would be perfect. I live in Langhorne my mother live in Mount airy.

@@dhrguru - For some reason I am only now just getting this. I wouldn't mind a meetup even though we had different surgeries. It could be a nice way to share fitness tips in the area.

@@tdc - I'm not familiar with Barix at all and only used Chestnut Hill for testing. I had surgery at UPenn and was more than impressed by the care. They have support groups throughout the city and are on call 24 hours a day. They also have an email system (MYPennmedicine) that is very good. You can get your test results there and if you email a doc they will get back to you within 2 days. They provide you with a binder that has the entire process start to finish, a comprehensive list of vitamins/supplements, Protein drinks and sample menus for every stage of eating. At the nutrition class they gave out free Water bottles. For surgery I was given a duffle bag to store my clothes in. When they found out I lived alone, they made arrangements for a visiting nurse to make home visits post op and the program nurse called me to make sure I was doing well.

@@BLERDgirl that you for responding. My god sister went to chestnut hill and my mom is schedule for December. I have a friend that went to Penn. I have only used chestnut hill for testing also. Pain getting stuff transfered I am so used to St Mary's in bucks county and I can pull it off their website. The basic clinic is in langhorne and 10 minutes from my house and the do the procedure and all appointments in the forest health medical center. Only does bariactric there. You have actually just been more helpful than you realized. Because a lot of what pen had is what barix offers.

I an trying to decide between chestnut hill and barix. Any insite on experience would be perfect. I live in Langhorne my mother live in Mount airy.

I had my RNY @ chestnut hill with Dr. Meilahn. I was completely happy with my pre/post op care @ chestnut hill. They have worked hard to become a community based surgery focused hospital. So what's good is things happen as scheduled. (Unlike when I had another surgery at Jefferson that was delayed for hours!). I'd looked into this surgery @ chestnut hill a few years ago and felt like they were too much in transition then. Now I feel like they are in a far better place and am glad I've returned and gave them another shot.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Dhrguru I love the staff there. He is nice trying to make sure I will get the after care needed. Especially since when I had my hysterectomy I had issues and an infection from the hospital so very cautious of where I stay when I had surgery. Trying to make sure that I will not have the same issues again even know this is a different hospital.

@@dhrguru I will be having mine on December 10 with chestnut hill.

@@dhrguru I will be having mine on December 10 with chestnut hill.

Congrats on making the decision. I think you'll be pleased with it. (My hubby has used chestnut hill for a few surgeries too- not wls.) I even had my own room, and it happened to have a nice view.

How do you feel about it? Are you nervous? I have a follow up appointment 12/18 there.

I hope I have my own room. I am extremely excited, nervous and ready. My husband is super supportive. Thank god. I am ready to feel alive again without all the pain. To be able to do stuff with my 11 year old and not be out of breath, tired, or ready to sit down cause in pain. The crazy part people look at me and make the comment I didn't know you weighed that much. I hide it well.

@@dhrguru

@@dhrguru I did my psychological evaluation yesterday. That was my last step. So note just waiting on the submission for insurance.

@@dhrguru I did my psychological evaluation yesterday. That was my last step. So note just waiting on the submission for insurance.

@tdc-- did you use one of the Doc's Dr. Meilahn recommended? (I did-- I forget his name though) What insurance do you have?