Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are scales with BF% accurate? What brand?

I think I might be happier with a scale that also measures the BF%. Do any of you have one? Do you think they're accurate and reliable? No point in spending the money if they aren't!

I have one Terry... and NO it is not accurate!! My DSIL who is a Physician's assistant says the only accurate way to measure that is in Water. The scales at Curves say my body fat is 40 now after losing 46#. The doc says it's more like 31. I wouldn't waste money on a scale just cause it "measures" body fat.

. . . .and I'm taking it back! I spent $60 on a Homedics glass, digital scale that measures your body fat, hydration and something else, and I'm not sure about the body fat and hydration measurements but the weight is anywhere from 2.5-4 pounds heavier than it should be. I have been using my other digital scale (on loan from mom) that is right on with the doctor's scales and then using the new one and my weight varies every time, even with getting on, off, back on a few minutes later, it can vary anywhere from 2-4 pounds - I never get the same reading twice!

I asked on another group I'm on about ths very thing and the Tanita brand scale came highly recommended so I just ordered the plain bladk Tanita digital scale online from Target for $25 ($30 with shipping) and I'm taking the Homedics scale back to Linens-N-Things and getting my $60 back. To me, that's way to much to pay for a scale that's not accurate! My mom's scale is a "Borg" and if this Tanita doesn't work out, I'll see if I can find one like mom's -- though she has a much older model.

Hope this helps!

Boy, am I glad I asked!! Savin' my money!

I recently got a Tanita scale as a give. In the paperwork it admits to not being 100% accurate, but also says that it's a good way to measure the direction things are going... as in, is your body fat % going up, or down.

I have a scale that I like- but the body fat feature is useless. It pretty much hasn't changed the % at all since before surgery to now. I just like that I can save my weight so that every time I hit a new low, I hit save and it just feels so....definitive. Then it blinks a readout of how much I've lost in total, how much further to goal, and how far off I am (+ or -) from my last weigh in.

My lapband surgeon's office uses Tanitas but these are very hi-tech and look like they cost very big bucks. They are hooked up to computers and give printed read-outs of all sorts of data, including the BMI and BF. I hop on one of these machines whenever I go in for a fill.

My body fat reading is 23% on my scale, 23.5% at night. Its constant day to day. But I can tell you right now, that my body fat is higher than that. 23% would be fairly lean for a woman. Well I"m not overweight anymore but I have plenty of wobbly stuff on thighs and bum, I"m sure I've got a higher body fat percentage than that. Perhaps I'm selling myself short, as I"m downright skinny above the waist but I dont believe it.

When I went to the Tanita website I saw all the professional ones and they were definitely very high dollar. They make a line for use at home, which is one of the ones I ordered from Target. It's just a basic digital scale and I am hoping it is the same quality as the professional medical ones the make as far as being accurate and dependable. It should be here early next week so we'll see.

I really don't need all the bells and whistles but I would like to get on it at least twice and see the same weight show up! :faint: Oh, and not 4 pounds heavier than I should be, uck, what a bummer, I almost had a heart attack at that! ;) My family found it amusing though. . . kids. . . gotta love em. :)

I have a homemedic that I paid 90+ for which has never been accurate. Last week I purchased the Weight Watchers scale for $20.00 and it's perfect. Just goes to show you it doesn't have to be expensive to work.

I have a Tanita one. I don't think it's accurate because my %bf never changed... even after losing 95 pounds! :lol: I've been told that they measure more of your hydration level than body fat... not sure if that's accurate or not.

Accurate ways to measure body fat include MRI, underwater weighing, and those body pods. Skin calipers vary in accuracy... with a lot depending on the person using them.