Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New, scared, anxious, and ready

DaniellDeeAnne,

That is awesome! It sounds like you are doing well!

Wombat712,

Wow! 14 pounds!! you must be thrilled!! It sounds like it will come off pretty quickly for you! If it keeps rainingm we'll never get outdoors, LOL. GUess thats why I have a gym membership!

GOOD LUCK GUYS!

I have Blue cross ins. & I am 6mths into a 12mth supervised diet. So I still have a long way to go (6mths) and then I have to submit for approval. I am getting this done one way or another! If I have to self-pay I will but I will try insurance first. It just seems soooooo long to wait because I of course want this done now and I hate to spend another 6mths "weighting" for it. My husband was a little unsure but I told him I have really researched it so he's ok with it now.(well when I tell him we may be paying for it he might not feel that way.ha ha) It sounds like your coworker isn't really committed to giving up her food. I thought once the fills were done & you were losing weight it was hard to eat enough to regain it.(other than soft food sabotage) Did she have her fills taken out or just eat around the band? I am afraid of failure at this too but in the past I have lost 50-60 pds many times but feeling hungry I would overeat again & always gain it back plus... So my idea of this is that it is suppose to prevent that hunger and cause you to be able to only eat less food. Meanwhile I will keep reading everything I can on it. My doctor thinks I am a great candidate for this. How did you chose your doctor?

Marnie723,

Yeah my coworker just never went back and if you don't get to your perfect fill, it is possible to eat enough to gain it all back. It is unfortunate because she went through all of that and she is still big. But the band is a tool. everyone I have known that has had it done says that it isn't just like a magic pill. you really have to want it and be motivated to follow the ten golden rules of banded patients. If not you will not succeed. I have met several patients in and out of the surgery center that didnt succeed because they never modified their behavior. If it is psychological and you are eating emotionally, not becvause you are hungry, they say you are less likely to succeed. I am no expert at this, but I have researched this for years because I have known so many people that have done it and have been successful. Good luck with the 12month waiting period. I am sorry you have to go through that. But at least when you get it done finally, you will know that was what you really wanted and not an impulse decision. After years of research, I finally made the decision, and for me it seems the process can not go fast enough, I would like surgery now, thank you. But I have to be patient and allow the process to unfold. Oh, i almost forgot, I chose my doctor because I got several referrals from other happy patients. I have never heard anyhthing bad about Dr. Fox. Usually if you ask the people int he waiting room at the center, they will tell you exactly what they think of their doctor! Some good some bad. LOL. Good Luck and if you need someone to talk to while you "weight", I am here.:o

Way to go Melissa! I, too am nervous, I go in to get banded on Tues 7/17. I think I'm more worried about the anesthesia (sp) at this point. I've never ever had any kind of surgery so that frightens me a little. Then, I think I worry about will I get enough nutrients, will eating less make me sick (yeah, right! ;o) but I mean will I eb eating enough not to feel sick. Anyway, wish me luck too....I'll be a "banded women" come Tues!!!!!!

Congrats Melissa!:clap2:

I'm also waiting to be approved by my insurance. I have another appt with my surgeon on Monday. My ultrasound of the abdomen showed that I have one gallstone so I might have to have my gallbladder out first. On top of that I had a sleep study and found out I have moderate obstructive sleep apnea. Hopefully he'll tell me I don't have to go on the CPAP machine, because that'll mean two weeks I have to be on that machine before they'll schedule my surgery. So I know how you're feeling. It's like... Come on already, I made my decision. Now give me my surgery date! I'll let you all know how my appt goes. Goodnight:notagree.

Roc,

GOOD LUCK! I too am scared about anesthesia, I have never been put to sleep. But I rest assured by my Doctors that there have been no incidents at this location.

hf2havefun,

Good luck!! I'm glad someone else feels this anxiousness to move on with it! LOL. Keep us in the loop!

Melissa

Hi Melissa! Welcome to LBT! Congratulations on making the decision to be banded. Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey. Gigi

Hi Melissa. I too am drowning in Central Texas. I am too impatient to wait for insurance approval, plus it seems like a real hassel through my company, so I am headed to Acuna, Mexico Oct 1 to see Dr. Jose Rodriguez for my Lap band. i know how you feel, I too am nervous and a bit scared but the good will outweigh the bad. Great to meet you.

Hi Melissa. I too am drowning in Central Texas. I am too impatient to wait for insurance approval, plus it seems like a real hassel through my company, so I am headed to Acuna, Mexico Oct 1 to see Dr. Jose Rodriguez for my Lap band. i know how you feel, I too am nervous and a bit scared but the good will outweigh the bad. Great to meet you.

WOW! Would you have had to do a 6 month medically directed diet? Hopefully I will be banded before the end of August!:) My insurance was relatively easy compared to most, so I feel pretty lucky. I read that someone else had to do a 12 month medically directed diet. I was really shocked. That sounds like torture! Good Luck on your Journey!

The info I got from GEHA insurance sounded pretty unreasonable. including a 12 month medically supervised diet, proof of a 12 month Gym membership, plus a medically necessary staement from my doctor after all else failed. Then they wouol CONSIDER paying and let me know in 3-6 months. I am too anxious to get going on this, and I will probably save the money back in food and medical costs saved.

:faint:Oh my. That does sound rediculous. I have United HealthCare and they wanted BMI greater than 35 I believe and then I had to get records for 5 years showing that I was obese. That was not difficult for me to get. I would probably pay for it myself as well, if I had to wait that long just to see if they might possibly consider allowing you to have surgery. Again I must be lucky. I changed my insurance in Jan to United. I had Blue cross before and they are also pretty difficult to get it approved from what I hear. I would be pulling my hair out right about now if I hadn't made that change. It was good to talk to you. It really put my situation into perspective. I should just be greatful it is covered and fight throught the wait and the testing. Again, good luck and I wish you the best of success on your new journey.:o

ROC,

IT is very soon for you! I wish you the best and don't let your nerves get to you. Soon you will de a banded one!!

Hi Mellissa,

You and I are kinda in the same boat. I'm still waiting for approval and my date. (They tell me to give insurance a month) Anyway good luck, and stay positive you'll be getting ready for surgery in no time. Keep us posted.

Yeah, I finally scheduled my stress test and my psych consult but they are not until the 30th of this month. That was the first available appt. Then the insurance will take 2-4 weeks to answer. At this rate, I may not get banded until September. Oh well, I am trying to stay positive. Goodnight!