Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcoholic drinks after surgery

Hey everyone,

I'm 2 1/2 months out from bypass surgery, and I'm really curious to know a couple things about drinking after surgery... Also, I should mention I'm only asking because I got an OK from my doctor to be able to drink on a special occasion: my birthday, just would like some ideas, thank you in advance !

-How fast does alcohol hit you, and how much does it take before you feel it?

-How long do you feel the effects for ?

-Is it over fast, if so,

do you drink more ?

-What kind of drinks do you have ?

-Any cocktail suggestions that don't make you dump ?

Edited by TeeNahh

I am officially four weeks post op tomorrow and I had my first glass of wine this past Saturday. My doctor told me it was ok so I treated myself to a glass. You will definitely become a light weight . I went from drinking a whole bottle of wine to feeling a little light headed after half of a glass.

Some told me here in the forum it was to soon to drink after my surgery but I figured of my doctor told me it was ok i will try it to see how my body reacts. I didn't get sick or anything so that was good news to me. I think you are fine if you are more then two months out.

How long do the effects of the wine last ? My doctor recommends a year of not drinking from surgery, but he said it's ok for one night, and to try it out at home first. I'm not big on drinking but I'd like to enjoy a night out with friends.

I'm 3 months post-op today. I haven't had my first post-op drink yet - but I did have 3-4 sips of my husbands margarita a couple weeks ago and I was feeling it big time - like I didn't think I could drive.

Tomorrow I will I'll be 5 months and my surgeon told me to wait a full year. Some are just light weights, some can't handle a few have really bad effects like passing out after a few drinks. I'm scared. I think I'll keep waiting, I'm not dying from not having it so I'll stick it out.

I have found that my tolerance hasn't changed much. The hangover however is so much worse!!! And thanks for being honestly in your post, some people claim to be perfect on this site.

I drink vodka and Water with a splash of crystal lite liquid in it. Just FYI. I would say 2 of those will do the trick

There was a study of alcohol after RNY surgery published in the "Journal of the American College of Surgeons". You can read the whole thing here:

https://www.facs.org/media/press%20releases/jacs/gastricbypass0311

Note that the study shows we become MORE affected by alchohol as we heal from RNY surgery (effects are more pronounced at 6-months than at 3-months). One 5-ounce drink of wine was enough to raise the BAC over the legal driving limit. To put it in perspective, one drink after surgery approximately affects us like 4 before surgery.

Also, they continue to warn that in RNY patients, there is a higher chance of abusing alcohol due to transference.

Here are some excerpts:

"The results of this unique demonstration of alcohol metabolism changes in gastric bypass patients showed that patients who underwent a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) operation had considerably higher breath alcohol content (BAC) and took significantly more time to return to a sober state after drinking, compared with BAC levels tested prior to having their procedure."

"During the study, alcohol metabolism tests were performed on 19 morbidly obese patients before their RYGB operation and then measured again at three and six months post-operation. Patients also reported symptoms experienced when drinking and answered a questionnaire about their drinking habits."

"The results showed peak BAC percentage of patients after drinking five ounces of red wine was significantly higher post-operation. BAC was 0.024 percent at pre-operation and 0.059 percent (p = 0.0003) at three months. Tested again at six months post-operation, the patients’ BAC was 0.088 percent (p = 0.0008) which is more than the legal driving limit of .08 percent. Additionally, it took 49 minutes for patients to reach a zero BAC prior to their operation compared with 61 minutes at three months and 88 minutes at six months post-operation."

"RYGB patients need to understand that their body will respond to alcohol differently after their operation and they need to exercise caution if they choose to drink alcohol,” said Dr. Morton. “Our recommendation to all of our RYGB patients is never drink and drive and to limit consumption of alcohol to one standard drink (one 12-oz beer, 5-oz wine, or 2-oz liquor) for every two hours."

I'm 3 months post-op today. I haven't had my first post-op drink yet - but I did have 3-4 sips of my husbands margarita a couple weeks ago and I was feeling it big time - like I didn't think I could drive.

Oh wow, haha I won't be driving but how strong was that margarita ?! Lol

Tomorrow I will I'll be 5 months and my surgeon told me to wait a full year. Some are just light weights, some can't handle a few have really bad effects like passing out after a few drinks. I'm scared. I think I'll keep waiting, I'm not dying from not having it so I'll stick it out.

I'm scared too, and my doc said that the percentage of transferring addictions is low and nothing to worry about. Good for you for waiting

I have found that my tolerance hasn't changed much. The hangover however is so much worse!!! And thanks for being honestly in your post, some people claim to be perfect on this site.

I drink vodka and Water with a splash of crystal lite liquid in it. Just FYI. I would say 2 of those will do the trick

Oh gosh, I forgot all about hangovers ???? vodka water and crystal light ? That sounds good, I'm a vodka girl, thanks soo much !

There was a study of alcohol after RNY surgery published in the "Journal of the American College of Surgeons". You can read the whole thing here:

Note that the study shows we become MORE affected by alchohol as we heal from RNY surgery (effects are more pronounced at 6-months than at 3-months). One 5-ounce drink of wine was enough to raise the BAC over the legal driving limit. To put it in perspective, one drink after surgery approximately affects us like 4 before surgery.

Also, they continue to warn that in RNY patients, there is a higher chance of abusing alcohol due to transference.

Here are some excerpts:

"The results of this unique demonstration of alcohol metabolism changes in gastric bypass patients showed that patients who underwent a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) operation had considerably higher breath alcohol content (BAC) and took significantly more time to return to a sober state after drinking, compared with BAC levels tested prior to having their procedure."

"During the study, alcohol metabolism tests were performed on 19 morbidly obese patients before their RYGB operation and then measured again at three and six months post-operation. Patients also reported symptoms experienced when drinking and answered a questionnaire about their drinking habits."

"The results showed peak BAC percentage of patients after drinking five ounces of red wine was significantly higher post-operation. BAC was 0.024 percent at pre-operation and 0.059 percent (p = 0.0003) at three months. Tested again at six months post-operation, the patients’ BAC was 0.088 percent (p = 0.0008) which is more than the legal driving limit of .08 percent. Additionally, it took 49 minutes for patients to reach a zero BAC prior to their operation compared with 61 minutes at three months and 88 minutes at six months post-operation."

"RYGB patients need to understand that their body will respond to alcohol differently after their operation and they need to exercise caution if they choose to drink alcohol,” said Dr. Morton. “Our recommendation to all of our RYGB patients is never drink and drive and to limit consumption of alcohol to one standard drink (one 12-oz beer, 5-oz wine, or 2-oz liquor) for every two hours."

Thanks for link ! This is really informative !

Here are some excerpts:

Excellent information.

Thank you.

Here are some excerpts:

Does this study control for difference in body weight? Just wondering because while I'm sure part of it is the effects from the surgery, the part about the effects increasing as you get further out makes me think, well of course the less body mass you have the drunker you get too.

I had sleeve not bypass and I have definitely become a lightweight! But the effects pass more quickly as well.

agree 100% vodka for me too