Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staying steadfast thru struggle

So I'm struggling a little today. It's the first cool day, fall settling in and the pumpkin flavored everything is hard to ignore.

I'm almost 5 months out and this is the second time I've felt like this, like I couldn't take part in "traditions of the season". (First time was when I went to the beach and walked the boardwalk- smelling all those yummy smells). I'm learning that this is where my 'emotional' eating came in, taking part in the nostalgia.

Day to day temptation is manageable, it's just every once in a while it seems to all catch up with me. I'm sticking to plan, but just felt the need to write it out as it's been on my mind all day. I'm doing laundry to keep busy, will hit the gym tonight. I am making chili for dinner though... Great Protein and still gives me a sense of seasonal satisfaction I'm longing for.

So I've faced my summer and fall demons... Wonder what winter and spring will be? Maybe I'll be too busy shopping for new clothes to care.

Thanks for listening!

I get it. I made my first chili of the season yesterday, but modified it from what my recipe used to be. I used to add cooked macaroni or spaghetti instead of crackers ever since I was a kid. Now there are no crackers or Pasta, but the chili still tastes good. My boyfriend has modified all of his rcips for me. He used to make this really awesome homemade ac and cheese. Now he makes shredded zucchini and cheese and puts a little macaroni in it - just enough to say he did, and not enough to do any damage.

The only way I can get over my bedtime vanilla ice cream is to take a glass of 2% milk and add vanilla and sweetener to it. I was moaning about missing Cheerios and Wheaties when I was in the grocery with a friend earlier this week, but ally if I give in to starchy carbs, the inflammation and achy muscles come right back. My body is still reminding me that it has gotten used to this outstanding high Protein and low starch veggie diet and does not like it one bit if I stray. My body notices and responds immediately if I fall back into old habits

I, too, am looking for a way to incorporate some pumpkin into my fall diet plan. Boyfriend makes some pretty good low sugar cranberry relish, but it does not compare to pumpkin.

Good job sticking to your plan! I just bought pumpkin spice Protein. Maybe that could help?

Tell me more about this pumpkin spice protein! Where'd ya get it, how do you prepare it??

Thanks for the tip about pumpkin Spice Protein powder. I just now ordered some from Amazon, and will try this recipe to hold me until the real stuff arrives.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-protein-powder-chef-pumpkin-spice-protein-mousse.html

@@dhrguru I don't know what your tastes are, but there are some pretty good recipes for making low-cal pumpkin "shakes" or "smoothies" that taste great with some vanilla Protein mixed in. And sugar-free Coffeemate pumpkin spice Creamer with some coffee or tea is a go-to for me all fall, and for 2 TBSP is only 30 cal.

And now I, too, am going to go investigate this pumpkin spice Protein. Happy fall!

So I'm struggling a little today. It's the first cool day, fall settling in and the pumpkin flavored everything is hard to ignore.

I'm almost 5 months out and this is the second time I've felt like this, like I couldn't take part in "traditions of the season". (First time was when I went to the beach and walked the boardwalk- smelling all those yummy smells). I'm learning that this is where my 'emotional' eating came in, taking part in the nostalgia.

Day to day temptation is manageable, it's just every once in a while it seems to all catch up with me. I'm sticking to plan, but just felt the need to write it out as it's been on my mind all day. I'm doing laundry to keep busy, will hit the gym tonight. I am making chili for dinner though... Great Protein and still gives me a sense of seasonal satisfaction I'm longing for.

So I've faced my summer and fall demons... Wonder what winter and spring will be? Maybe I'll be too busy shopping for new clothes to care.

Thanks for listening!

Good for you recognizing this! What helps me is finding ways to recreate some of these taste. I personally I don't get the pumpkin craze, but perhaps a tablespoon of pumpkin purée added to a Protein shake would satisfy.

struggling

@@dhrguru

sorry you are having a hard/bad day :wacko:

Dr. Phil, yes him!!

love him to pieces

he doesn't know i'm alive :(

i have heard him say, "you must acknowledge the past, before you can go into the future"

some words like that

you do know your triggers

I also like to "get" it out there

talk about problems etc

nothing wrong with a good bitchh

why do you think we are here

to polish our nails!!?? :lol:

you have found certain activities that will keep you busy

gym etc

that's great

i have been known to take a nap to avoid eating too much stuff

almost 4 years, i still refuse to go to our state fair

i remember the smells, free samples

ALLLL the food where ever you look

my solution - i won't go to the fair

your decision might be different

tomorrow a new day

you are doing amazing!! :)

69.4 lbs down!!!

(those tenths of weight are very important to count!)

i think sadness, depression, and anger are normal emotions for many (me)

want to eat more than we should

many other things too

that's great day to day

you are able to deal with your your issues

keep up the wonderful job

know you will

good luck

kathy

I was thinking a tablespoon of pumpkin puree (no sugar added), vanilla Protein Powder plus pumpkin spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, etc... I make my own), with a bit of greek yogurt and enough Water to blend might make a pretty clean, high Protein pumpkin spice shake.< /p>

@@dhrguru I don't know what your tastes are, but there are some pretty good recipes for making low-cal pumpkin "shakes" or "smoothies" that taste great with some vanilla Protein mixed in. And sugar-free Coffeemate pumpkin spice creamer with some coffee or tea is a go-to for me all fall, and for 2 TBSP is only 30 cal.

And now I, too, am going to go investigate this pumpkin spice Protein. Happy fall!

Thanks, I haven't been able to tolerate vanilla flavored protein since surgery. Pumpkin flavored protein with milk and vanilla extract may work for me. I don't drink coffee.< /p>

@@BLERDgirl

I'm not big on the whole pumpkin thing either, but I may have to try that!

I have 2 words. State fair.

I went a few weeks ago, and talk about a test! The corn dogs, funnel cakes, cotton candy, churros....man oh man it was tough! I thought the smell alone was going to kill me! But I persevered and ate my chicken kabob happily. And I MAY have had a glass of wine ;)

Good job sticking to your plan! I just bought pumpkin spice Protein. Maybe that could help?

Tell me more about this pumpkin spice protein! Where'd ya get it, how do you prepare it??

I got it at GNC. Since I am pre-op, I had to mix in only Water. Didn't like it. But I also didn't like the banana one that I love in shakes I make w pureed banana/apple sauce plus carrots or carrots/brocolli cauliflower.

So, I'm honestly thinking this may be something I'd like in applesauce or something other than plain Water. My coworkers loved it. I'm glad I had a pack of chicken Soup flavor powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury as a backup. GNC only sells it is 7 serving packs, so w the BOGO it's $25. Just got email from About Time that theirs is back in stock. http://tryabouttime.com/shop/pumpkin-spice/

Not sure if you want that large of a quantity. But I do see they have other Protein friendly things. I am saving this site. Protein pancake mix? Have you tried this? I just looked at it...pancake mix has a lot of sugar.

Edited by justme29

I get it. I made my first chili of the season yesterday, but modified it from what my recipe used to be. I used to add cooked macaroni or spaghetti instead of crackers ever since I was a kid. Now there are no crackers or Pasta, but the chili still tastes good. My boyfriend has modified all of his rcips for me. He used to make this really awesome homemade ac and cheese. Now he makes shredded zucchini and cheese and puts a little macaroni in it - just enough to say he did, and not enough to do any damage.

The only way I can get over my bedtime vanilla ice cream is to take a glass of 2% milk and add vanilla and sweetener to it. I was moaning about missing Cheerios and Wheaties when I was in the grocery with a friend earlier this week, but ally if I give in to starchy carbs, the inflammation and achy muscles come right back. My body is still reminding me that it has gotten used to this outstanding high Protein and low starch veggie diet and does not like it one bit if I stray. My body notices and responds immediately if I fall back into old habits

I, too, am looking for a way to incorporate some pumpkin into my fall diet plan. Boyfriend makes some pretty good low sugar cranberry relish, but it does not compare to pumpkin.

Do you like pudding? There is no fat/no sugar added vanilla pudding. I went and bought all of these and jellos to try before surgery. I made the banana pudding only so far. It doesn't taste any different. My plan book says use skim or 1% milk.