Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods are Prone to Dumping Syndrome?

Something I haven't heard much about from my own medical team is what foods have a tendency to cause dumping syndrome?

Please share your knowledge with me!

After RNY surgery, your stomach is no longer able to process foods with high content of fats or sugars (because this part of your stomach has been cut away). Eating this food will cause dumping syndrome. This takes the form of diarrhea. After about a year, your intestines will change and they will begin processing fats and sugars in place of the stomach. So this intolerance will go away.

If you each too much volume of food, your stomach will signal very painfully that you have reached your limit. You may vomit the entire meal over the course of an hour or painfully wait it out for several hours. This appears more common with harder foods such as steak, then with softer foods such as Soups and chili.

I completely agree with you, James! I also think it's important to point out that there's the equally scary reality that some folks don't "dump" at all no matter what they eat. It only takes a bite with no ill effects... that turns into two...and possibly more, which will defeat the purpose of what your'e trying to accomplish. Me personally? I stay away from fatty sugary stuff from an equal fear of dumping and worrying that I won't dump and revert back to old habits.

It's not only diarrhea or vomiting. It can be a feeling of fullness, even after eating just a small amount, abdominal cramping or pain, nausea, sweating, flushing, or light-headedness. I didn't think I was a dumper in the beginning because my symptoms were subtle, sweaty, light-headedness and exhaustion. I'm still figuring out what causes it, some days I can have fruit without a problem other days not so much. I've had small amounts of simple carbs without any dumping and other times I've been sick for hours.

To add to Suze, many don't ever dump from the wrong foods. It just requires even more due diligence in staying away from sugar and fats. I am one of those people who don't get dumping from sugar and fat.

I do however get an uncomfortable even painful feeling if I eat bread or Pasta as well as eggs. I get overly full in just a bite or two and then I sit in pain and of course cannot get my Protein in. I simply avoid Pasta and bread altogether. I do eat a little egg once in a while just to see if it gets better and it has been improving.

If I overeat because I am not paying attention I will actually have severe pain in my chest followed by vomiting. This has happened twice in the last 11 months. It is the worst feeling so I choose not to do it.

I had RNY in April. Have had dumping a few times. oatmeal (regular); Mexican food that had cheese on it; beef. Someone put a piece of rhubarb pie in my mouth and made me eat it, didn't cause any problems.... then the same person made me eat some birthday cake...darn that big guy! This is how I learned that sugary does not phase my pouch. But of course (if my NUT is reading this), I would never eat any of that stuff because I have no room after Protein. Not for any ice cream, either. :)

The only thing that has made me dump so far are baby raw carrots. Worse thing ever. Not to give too much TMI, but its a bad feeling when you are throwing up carrot and you can still feel it in your throat afterwards.. NO BUENO!

LOL. Thank you for all the information.

You can dump with the sleeve and gastric bypass. There is late dumping too, which doesn't happen immediately. It can happen a couple of hours later.

It's not just diarrhea. It's getting really hot and sweaty, and your heart races and you feel nauseous.

For me, it's something high in sugar and fat. Like cheese cake. I shouldn't eat cheese cake anyway. That comes to mind because that was the first time it happened to me. Ice cream for sure, if I eat more than a couple of bites.

I've had it happen with baked yams when I put butter and brown sugar on it.