Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the 50 something bypass patients?

Had my EGD in Friday, got a call from my Patient Advocate after I got home. I'll have a second consult with my surgeon on Tue, and they'll submit everything to insurance. Hopefully I'll get approval within 2 weeks and get a surgery date.

At 51 I am done being fat! I was an athlete when I was younger and although overweight I was still very active and working full time in the veterinary field until my mid 40's when I experienced an aortic dissection, I lost my job, lost strength in my legs, and ended up using a wheelchair or scooter to get around. I've gained 100 lbs since my dissection and although I've lost 50 lbs I'm still 100 lbs overweight. I've got sleep apnea, high cholesterol, HBP, and mobility issues!

I've decided that I am not living my best life and after nearly dying 6 years ago I am ready to live again!

ooo I Will be following your story. I have had an aortic dissection in my family. Alas it was of the ascending aorta and my precious son. my Kevin at 31 from it, no warning, 10 years last January and I still mourn him. I see another person the age he would be now, and on start wondering would he be doing,that? Would he feel that way? Would he have had a wife and vhildren, what would his children be like, would,they,love me? All questions with no answer.

So sorry for your loss. It was certainly a shock to me and my family. I at Bible Study and felt like I was being impaled with a sword. I was fortunate that the EMT’s took me to the Az Heart Institute and I got into surgery within the hour.
I am guessing the answer to your last question would be YES. ❤️

😢

Bless your. ❤. Don't. know if you rememberin the New Testament that Mary "pondered these things in her heart" any mother who has lost a strong young seemingly healthy man to death does wonder.
Today his surviving brother Tomkitten and I were arguing about something else and he shouted out "Your genes killed Kevin" yes he mourns too, and yes I suffer Survivor Guilt, nothing I haven't thought myself.
That said,he is very supportive of my surgery to,come. He know, as I do, it is,my chance maybe last of a better healthier life. And although many places might turn me down, OSU believes in me at 72 and is willing to make this happen. Sometime this month, I do believe!!🚩🇺🇸🚩

Frustur8, I am also on a forum on Facebook for survivors and loved ones of aortric dissections. Its possible for people to have dissections that do not have genetic disorders or family histories of connective tissue or heart problems. Sometimes it just happens, in my case probably from smoking and having undiagnosed HBP but it happens in athletes, pregnant women, young, old, etc. I'm sorry you lost Keven but you mustn't claim responsibility and your son is out of line with that attack!

I'm SO excited to have found this forum! Looking to find someone (or multiple someones!) To follow along with me, who are also close to their surgery date.

I'm 60, but in denial.... lol. I call myself a perpetual 5 year old (ok, not literally).

But it would be nice to check in with 50-somethings, though 8t certainly isn't mandatory.

Pretty close to getting my insurance approval - supposed to hear this week.

In the meantime, my surgeon's office won't hook me up with their private Facebook forum until I have a surgery date.

This process so far has been arduous, especially working with the surgeon's office. They are one of two Center of Excellence offices in my area, so they must be very busy. But I don't feel the warm and fuzzies that I have read others feel about their surgeon. I hope that changes.

Looking forward to getting to know this community!

On 07/01/2018 at 18:16, FinallyBackToMe said:

I'm SO excited to have found this forum! Looking to find someone (or multiple someones!) To follow along with me, who are also close to their surgery date.

I'm 60, but in denial.... lol. I call myself a perpetual 5 year old (ok, not literally).

But it would be nice to check in with 50-somethings, though 8t certainly isn't mandatory.

Pretty close to getting my insurance approval - supposed to hear this week.

In the meantime, my surgeon's office won't hook me up with their private Facebook forum until I have a surgery date.

This process so far has been arduous, especially working with the surgeon's office. They are one of two Center of Excellence offices in my area, so they must be very busy. But I don't feel the warm and fuzzies that I have read others feel about their surgeon. I hope that changes.

Looking forward to getting to know this community!

Welcome! Looks like we are the same age! It’s been a long haul but finally it’s just a few days away now for me!
Good luck to you!

Wonderful! When is your surgery date? Are you excited?

On 07/01/2018 at 18:24, FinallyBackToMe said:

Wonderful! When is your surgery date? Are you excited?

July 5 th. I have had mixed emotions but seem to be getting calmer as it gets closer.

I'm 50 and I haven't had my RYN yet it's going to be on July 31.

I'm 52 and getting ready to have the sleeve. We'll see how it goes. Very excited!

Welcome all you nice young ladies. You think some days you feel old? Well my oldest CHILD will be 50 in January, you think that doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy? Anyway girls we are setting forth on this adventure and we are doing it together🚩

Frustr8, you are a spring chicken!

Age gets real blurry the older we get.

Tomorrow is a holiday, and hopefully we will all have a surgery date soon.

Hi I’m 69 and I got the bypass on June 19 I am having a horrible time getting these Protein Drinks in and I’ve been through of course liquids in now. Purée My stomach hurts after eating sometimes how long does it take to get some energy because I am normally a pretty outgoing person and right now I don’t feel like going out anywhere . till today I lost only about 15 pounds but that’s 15 pounds I didn’t have before I love to find some more ladies in my age group You’re how their journey is going and what I may have to look forward to it thanks so much bless everyone hope to hear soon