Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any tips on riding bicycles?

I currently weigh 336, down from 422. I swim, walk, and garden for exercise, and have a 2 year old lab who gets me out in the fields many times a day. However, my favorite exercise was always riding my bike, which is a large frame ten speed with cruiser handle bars and a larger seat. Still have it and replaced the tires and bearings, getting ready for use. I live in a rural area with lots of great places to ride that are not too steep. I do have a helmet.

I have not been able to safely ride it since about 1988, when my weight got really out of control and I got too top-heavy for safe riding. However, I am rapidly approaching my 1980's weight and expect to be able to safely ride in less than 30 days. I was wondering if any PALS had any tips on getting back into riding, if any of you ride. I was hoping that my swimming muscles (I do aerobic swim workouts with large foam dumbells and do laps about three hours a week) will make it less painful to get back on the bike.

Thanks!

Well outside of the fact that my butt hurts after a good ride. id say go for whatever works for you sir. Keep up the good work!

Oh I wish I could. I've tried a few times but my arthritic right knee still screams in pain on the up bend. I had really hoped 100 pounds down would eliminate the pain but it only lessened it a bit. I have fifty left to lose so we will see if getting to goal makes any difference.

@

Congrats for getting back on your bike. Your workouts are going to help out. Your fitness level is going to continue to increase. Biking is great cardio. I agree with @@Stevehud a good seat is a wonderful thing. You have been out on your bike before, Its like a horse..Get back on it :P Try seeing how far you feel comfortable going is a good start.

I started riding last month wish I would have started sooner. I'm a kid again. Loving it!

@ - Congrats and glad you are still on track. Riding pants because you have less padding down there than you used to. And while you have been putting on muscle, the ones you use biking are different, so add a little bit at a time and enjoy the wind in your face man.

In the countryside many dogs run loose and some will try and chase you and bite your feet. So it is always good to have a plan on how to deal with them should the problem arise.

Enjoy your bike rides. Good exercise.

Extra soft saddle! I have been looking everywhere for something that satisfies back there and have found absolutely nothing! So I spend almost the entire ride lifted slightly out of the saddle to ease the discomfort. I can sit all the way back on a downslope because the force exerted is somewhat lighter during those stretches. Additionally, if you find a good position and stay there, you will eventually grow pretty oblivious to the discomfort (i.e., the pain centers in your brain will stop responding so vociferously). Good luck!

Invest in an extra over the seat. Seat cushion that crimps and ties under.

Save yourself some pain.

????????And deep breathe and smile because it feels and smells great out there

@ - Congrats and glad you are still on track. Riding pants because you have less padding down there than you used to. And while you have been putting on muscle, the ones you use biking are different, so add a little bit at a time and enjoy the wind in your face man.

Thanks pirate, riding pants are a great idea, will check on them...

Being in the larger and heavier group myself and a avid bike rider. A good seat is a must... also one thing that helped TREMENDOUSLY was Pedal extenders.. they screw into the cranks then the pedal screws into them. They spread the width out and is much much more comfortable. They are very cheap in cost and can be had at local bike shops, ebay and Amazon. Good Luck !

Way to go reclaiming something you love! I just got a bike last year and have been enjoying rail trails -- am impressed by how good of a workout biking is. I walk every day but the bike is different. Thanks for reminding me that summer and fall are our best months and I'd better get out there all I can. Good luck to you -- you are doing so well with your weight loss.

Thanks everyone!! I will get some petal extenders and see if they make riding pants my size, and will develop a dog protection plan... and of course, pad the seat even more! These tips really helped. Once I get riding again, I will Celebrate and post a picture, not long to wait.