Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post lap band and port removal

I had lap band and port removed on 8/10/15 due to complications from prolapse and then slip 9 months later, all which had cause me to vomit everything I ate. I had lap band for 4 years. Lost 80 pounds. Since removal, I have had NO reflux or heartburn which has been amazing. I haven't had much of an appetite and have had pain at the port site, but pain has improved every day. I had gained 8 pounds due to surgery, but have lost 7 pounds over night last night. I am now on a soft food diet until my post op appt and have been logging my calories on fitness pal and using my Vivosmart activity tracker. I have been focusing on Protein to keep up my energy level. Drinking Water, Premier Protein shakes, low fat cottage cheese, and eggs with some grape or orange juice when my head feels "swimmy". I plan to revise to gastric bypass based on my surgeons recommendations in October/November after I heal up from this. I can't wait to get back to Zumba after clearance from my surgeon. I will work my butt off to keep my weight maintained until my revision. Here is my most recent belly pic. It is healing and I am allowed to shower. The biggest incision still hurts but pain has improved. See my belly face? The 2 small incisions are the eyes and my actual belly button is the mouth LOL. Belly is still swollen, I am sure it will go down soon

post-121268-14396759358988_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have had the band for 7 years and I had a slip. Thanks for writing about surgery. I was wondering how that would go. I'm having lapband and port removed. How long did it take you to get ok from Ins.? I have been waiting a month a still have not heard. I've been thinking of getting sleeve but I think I have made a decision Not to have it. Ugh! it so hard to make a decision because I did not do well with band. I did lose 70 lbs.. Gained 30 through the years and just lost 17 because I can't eat much with the slip. Mostly I drink Protein Shakes. I vomited a lot with band and I'm afraid it will be the same. You can still gain your weight back so I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm 65years old and I don't want to look for trouble. There are so many things that can go wrong. Thanks for listening. Guess I had to get this off my chest.

Hello! I am so sorry you are dealing with that, it is tough. I was in the patient exam room when they called the insurance company and it took literally 10 minutes. All you need is a surgeon to document a complication. Imaging confirmation is also helpful. I already had 2 imaging tests confirming the problem and a letter from my previous surgeon and all of my monthly visits to my primary care doctor with my continuing symptoms, plus the recommendation from my new surgeon. I actually had way more than enough for the removal. I seen the surgeon on Friday and had the band and port removed 3 days later as an emergency case. I hear there is no vomiting with the sleeve, but there is more reflux due to the high pressure that it creates. I wanted the sleeve but after speaking with my surgeon, he recommended bypass due to my severe reflux. The sleeve would just make it worse for me. I am a nurse and I want to be healthy and reduce my risks for diabetes which runs in my family. I will do whatever I can to save my health and live as long as I can. If you follow the plan with either sleeve or bypass, you will do well. I would talk with your surgeon and get a second opinion if you need to so that you make your own decision for a revision if that is your choice. I would call your doctor and find out what is the hold up regarding the insurance approval from your insurance company. If it is documentation, your doctor can provide that easy. Explain to your doctor you are having this discomfort and would like for it to be removed asap. I would also call your insurance company to find out what's taking so long. I wish you the best and hope that you will get some relief very soon!!!

Are you suppose to be on a liquid diet after removal of band?? I didnt read my after lapband removal protocol.

Hello

Jane410 I was banded in 2008. Lost the same amount as you and have gradually gained 40. I am 64 and worried about future erosion and want removed. However I am scared I will not be able to control my eating and gain the rest back and more. Like you I also don't want to go looking for trouble. Have been thinking bypass but am so unsure. I would like to keep in touch to share our thoughts going forward.

Are you suppose to be on a liquid diet after removal of band?? I didnt read my after lapband removal protocol.

I was not on a liquid diet post band removal... but i did have a "phantom band" for 2 weeks.

I ate normally.... no issues..

Best bottle of Water i ever had was post band removal... ah the feeling of chugging it down was amazing... 12 months on... i still reminise lol

Anyone needs omerprazole?? i have not had one not one nor TUMS since my unfill and after band removal. It is the best feeling ever. I cant speak for everyone but i can tell you wilth my experience i dont foresee reflux and burning when i get sleeved in 6 weeks.. Although i am not in control of my eating (hence getting the band) i am enjoying tasting my food and keeping it down.

I am due to have my band out in August, I am finding as well as the Gerd symptoms , since I have put weight back on my port seems to be catching on my rib. This is constantly uncomfortable, has anyone else had this?

Sent from my SM-G928F using the BariatricPal App

I have never had a concern with my port. I can feel it, but it is deep enough that I can't see it. Very occasionally if I lie a certain way in bed it is a bit uncomfortable.