Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not a replacement for surgery but...

I have a book I'd like to recommend to anyone who would like to read it. It's called the Gabriel Method by Jon Gabriel. First off, I can tell you first hand, that it's not a solution to everyone's weight problems otherwise I'd be thin right now, but what I can tell you is that in his book he makes some good points about obesity, nutritional starvation, mental starvation, using food as a protective barrier in the case of abuse victims etc and it's a good resource to add to your arsenal. I don't think we can have too many weapons against our weight. I really don't.

To over simplify things the basic premise is that people are obese because their bodies are starving for the correct nutrition, they have suffered mental/physical abuse, or they are stuck in a miserable life that is making them unhappy or an ugly combo of all 3. To solve the nutritional side he recommends every meal consist of quality easily assimilable Proteins, omega-3's, and live uncooked fruits and veg. And to not deprive oneself of anything they desire in the beginning. There's also recommendations on how to feel safe after suffering abuse including a nighttime hypnosis type thing, and recommendations or inspiration to just go out and change your life to make yourself happy. I couldn't help but notice he was unhappy in his old job so he went into business making money off of people like us to solve his problem, but it really does have some good info in there and some lessons to take away from the whole thing.

I have followed the Gabriel Method for several years in the past, and in the beginning, I did lose a massive amount of weight following everything, but as I got pregnant over and over and my doctors took me off of things like the whole gram of Omega 3 supplements, told me the digestives could be harmful and to stop them, and changed around things etc, and the weight began to stick back on and with a vengeance so it's not something to quit if you start. It's not a diet to conform to, but things you can work into your already going routines.

I'm having a Reread of the book now during pre surgery, as most of what is involved also applies well to life post wls, so I thought I'd share for anyone who cares to pick up a copy. In the back there's actually a testamonial from Kaliah Ali talking about how she started using this method about a month prior to getting her lap band and believes it helped her lose weight in addition to the band alone. When I bought it at Amazon years ago, I paid like $11 and I know a lot of libraries own a copy or two as well. But just wanted to throw that out there. I know a lot of nutritionists and dietitians haven't ever seemed to hear about the Gabriel Method, so it's not likely that they would recommend it to their patients to read. But just wanted to pass it along I case anyone wants to read along with me.

Cool. Thanks.

I'm at a point now where I've reached a "teachable moment" and can digest some good reading that will lead to insight on my weight and getting a strategy to losing and keeping it off.

Sounds cool! I'm going to check it out.