Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

diluted esophagus and restricted band

I had a lap band surgery about 4 1/2 years ago and went from 330 lbs to 220 lbs since then. I am pretty happy with my weight loss. Although I have had some issues with eating certain foods I have managed until maybe 3-4 months ago, perhaps it started before but I did not realize it.

I was having more and more problems eating and even drinking. In the morning or during the day (several hours after last meal) I could not eat anything. Sometimes even a few sips of Water would not go down and I had to go and purge (?). I would also sometimes drink a couple sips of Water before going to bed and then I could feel it trying to go through and some air bubbling up and it always felt like it was stuck in my throat so I would have to go purge it in order to be able to sleep.

At other times I could eat almost 'normal' within reason and small portions (much smaller than before the band).

Since I had the surgery done overseas, I did not do any follow-ups for almost 4 years. I initially had two fills of 2 ml (cc) each for a total of 4 ml.

I finally went to see a doctor last week and he did a fluoroscopy with barium and it showed nothing was passing through as well as an enlarged esophagus. He unfilled the band completely, although only got about 3 cc's out. He also told me that I needed to have the band removed and should have a conversion to a gastric bypass done.

Besides the fact that my insurance probably won't pay for a conversion since I am no longer obese per their definition (BMI > 35) I really do not want to have surgery and especially not a bypass. I had opted for the band as it seemed to be the least invasive procedure and would not require Vitamins and other supplements for the rest of my life.

Since I was skeptical the doctor said we would do another x-ray in a week and I should eat (drink) only liquids. That was tough and I have eaten a few regular meals. The food seems to go down easier now that the band was unfilled but after talking to the doctor and seeing the x-ray for myself I may just be filling up my esophagus again.

The 2nd x-ray will be on Thursday afternoon and I am planning to switch to all liquid today (Tuesday).

When I had the first x-ray I asked them if I should come with an empty stomach and was told it was not necessary but I suspect that some of my lunch (noon) may have still been in my esophagus at 3 pm and may have been blocking the opening of the band. Even though they unfilled it I am sure it would take a little while for the opening to widen, perhaps hours, days or even weeks.

I know this is short notice and I have not see a lot of activity on these boards but I hope I can get some feedback and advise from you.

I had my band 4 years and my journey ended having it removed and revised to sleeve 4 months ago. My issue was also a stretched esophagus. With my esophagus working as a 2nd stomach, I could eat more and I gradually started gaining weight was my first symptom. When my esophagus issue was discovered my band was emptied and I put on even more weight very quickly. With the weight gain I qualified on the BMI requirement for revision. In addition, I was still on medications for high blood pressure, which also helped me qualify. Getting the band removed was a very tough and sad decision for me and revision was even tougher.

Four months out and my feelings have completely changed about my revision. 30 pounds down, no more stuck episodes, no more slime, no more puking, night coughs etc. and the very best is that "feeling full" is really "feeling full"! No more measuring meals, I can now do my own push aways very easily.

I understand how you are feeling and the unknowns. Hang in there. If band removal is in your future, don’t let revision surgery scare you. Of course, I’m going to say that sleeve is the way to go, but, then I would be saying different had I had the by-pass done. One thing I do know is that I still need my weight loss tool! Having my band emptied a few months, I started gaining weight and started to fall back into my old habits of overeating.

Much luck to you and please do keep me informed of what happens. jake

Jake,

thank you for your reply. After doing some more research I also tend more towards the sleeve instead of the bypass since the digestive system is not rearranged and there are no foreign objects implanted in your body as with the lap band.

It is much less complicated than a gastric bypass and has a reduced risk of malnutrition or Vitamin deficiency.

The only negative and possible complication appears to be the long staple line which presents an increased risk of staple line leaks and bleeding.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches