Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poverty and Obesity: a first hand experience

What is sad is how failure & success are predicated on social, ethnic, economics, color etc. Health & nutrition are only one aspect within Western society. I love the word conspiracy because those who use it are labeled as the problem (or crazy). Yet, history has proven conspiracies real. It's the perfect combination in that one must be caught in the successful act before conspiracy is acknowledged.

We can do better by all Americans in spite of being set up to fail. Hunger should not exist nor should nutritional deficiencies. We are surrounded by affluence yet someone is benefiting from poverty and the failed programs that address it.

Look into our own communities. Grass roots, neighbor to neighbor, person to person and we can raise generations who see the world differently. If we care enough to make action our normal way of life, perhaps our children will stop criminalizing poverty.

Addressing nutrition in their own environments could become as second nature to future generations as recycling. Media chooses the perspectives it promotes to the masses. We are equally as potent in promoting what matters to our families and communities.

Ok, enough, putting my soap box away now.

Yes, there is such an unfortunate link between poverty and obesity. This is a very extreme example!

JamieLogical, you asked why there’s so much junk: probably because it’s basically cheaper and easier than healthier foods. The processed (and usually unhealthy) food is definitely way easier on a food pantry – they can stock up on Little Debbie’s snack cakes when people bring them without worrying about matching up the timing of supply (donations) and demand (distribution to the needy).

And that stuff is pretty cheap…is a box of snack cakes still under $2? And unfortunately, healthier options are often more expensive – usually whole grain foods are more expensive than refined (like white bread).

I have to say, though, I am surprised there aren’t ALSO healthy options in addition to all that sugar! When I packed bags in a food pantry, we also gave out (in addition to Cereal and pasta) tuna and Peanut Butter and canned vegetables. Oh, now I see you got veggies and PB. Well, that is definitely quite a haul!

Elode – THANK YOU for donating fruits and vegetables! That’s wonderful.

Hello all -

I would also offer a suggestion to WLS Warrior or anyone else who finds themselves in a similar circumstance. The Latter Day Saints have food pantries that non-members are welcome to shop at as well. They always have staples like dried Beans - a good Protein, vegetables, dried non-fat milk that is good for shakes, and other non-perishable items like vegetables, and fruit.< /p>

I am certainly not suggesting this is the only option, but many are not aware that the LDS church has this available to non-members. It is a safe option with healthy foods available. If you look for the Storehouse or google LDS food pantries, this will come up. Also the prices are very reasonable and you can order things too. Just a thought. I am happy about your after school venture and am happy that your income is increasing too! Thank you for raising this topic too, because I know people do not give thought to socio-economic status and food choices like they should.

Best wishes to you!

Edited by kimby1029

Several years ago I found myself in a similar situation. I was single and without work and the day I took $5 to the store and myself and my kids bread and ramen noodles so we could eat I swallowed my pride and applied for government assistance. The day we got our card to purchase food we went straight to the store to pick up food and have s picnic. We bought a roasted chicken, potatoe salad and a loaf of bread. When I got to the counter they said that the chicken and potatoes didn't qualify because they were pre-prepared but we could get cokes and candy bars. Made no sense to me. Luckily we made it through that rough time and really learned to appreciate the things we had and our ability to eat.

My sister just got approved for food stamps ($100/month) because her family is struggling. This was so surprising to me since her and her husband own two businesses that I thought were thriving. Although its great that she got some assistance, $100 does not go very far for her family of four.

I'm using some of the suggestions posted in response to this topic to help her find a food pantry in town that gives out more nutritious food. We found a church that gives out fresh produce once a month, so that is hopeful.

I was with her yesterday when she used her EBT card at Wal-Mart for the first time. The rules regarding what she can buy with her card are somewhat surprising. Like the previous poster mentioned, she couldn't purchase any ready made food, however, the two bottles of muscle milk were covered. I don't know if EBT covers any other Protein supplements or drinks, but I'm glad they cover some brands for those that can't afford it.

The whole idea of not buying prepared foods is just so mind boggling. I have talked to some formerly homeless people and that is a real challenge. The whole assumption that everyone has access to refrigeration and kitchen facilities really needs to be revisited. Actually, our whole approach to meeting basic needs is insane.

It depends on what the readymade food is labeled as, because I've used my Ebt. Card to buy refrigerated dinners from the deli section of the supermarket.

If you cannot cook for yourself as a food stamps recipients you may be allowed restaurant meals. Hot foods at the market or hot meals where the cards are accepted fall into this category.

The application does a poor job of explaining eating out and restaurants. Applicants read the question as literally dining out. They answer no because it is not affordable given they need assistance. Their ability fix hot meals is not discuss. As a result, many disabled recipients live on cold meals when they qualify for hot foods.

It depends on what the readymade food is labeled as, because I've used my Ebt. Card to buy refrigerated dinners from the deli section of the supermarket.

I also think these rules vary by state.

Our local food bank has lots of baked goods, but breads and rolls not too many sugary things. Our oldest son volunteered there. They have lots of fresh produce from local growers when in season.

When I saw this topic of poverty and weight loss, I thought of my daughter who wants so bad to have surgery, but is finding it very, very difficult to run the line of red tape with public assistance.

There is not way she can work right now, not to mention if she could no one would hire her when she is 5'3" and over 300 pounds.

She gets food assistance, but you hit the nail on the head it is food bank shopping and she has gotten packages like you mentioned. And in stores many times it is easier and cheaper to buy packaged dishes than buying ingredients and making fresh. Sad, sad state.

Our local food bank has lots of baked goods, but breads and rolls not too many sugary things. Our oldest son volunteered there. They have lots of fresh produce from local growers when in season.

When I saw this topic of poverty and weight loss, I thought of my daughter who wants so bad to have surgery, but is finding it very, very difficult to run the line of red tape with public assistance.

There is not way she can work right now, not to mention if she could no one would hire her when she is 5'3" and over 300 pounds.

She gets food assistance, but you hit the nail on the head it is food bank shopping and she has gotten packages like you mentioned. And in stores many times it is easier and cheaper to buy packaged dishes than buying ingredients and making fresh. Sad, sad state.

If your daughter can't work, have her contact your state's vocational rehab office. Since I am on disability retirementI was able to go through voc rehab and the paid for my surgery. Their goal is to help people get back to work. It is certainly worth exploring.

i want to chime in on this . both me and my husband work part time. we earn about 600 collectively a month and we get food stamps we were getting 120 a month. now we get 76. we have a bjs member ship. (think costco or sams) the amount we get per month is enough to buy 2 gallons of milk 10 pounds of chicken 1 package of morning star farms burgers 2 dosson eggs Beans and ground turkey and bottled Water. the rest of the month we scrape by

Eat sugar, hungry an hour later.. eat more sugar/carbs, hungry an hour later.. a never ending saga.. the kids will eat through that so fast.. and everyone will wonder why they are so heavy. :(