Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post-op diet different than most

i went to my nutrionist yesterday and found out that my doctor is changing the post op diet. instead of a liquid diet for the first two weeks is now a soft Protein diet 2 days after surgery. i am a little nervous of this change because isnt a liquid diet easier for your stomach to handle after surgery?

I was banded 6/25. The first week was all liquids. This past Monday, I was also able to add some soft foods such as mashed potatoe, cream of wheat, applesauce (2 tbsp total per meal). I didnt have any problems with it, and in fact, i think it helped me mentally, because I was actually eating something.

i went to my nutrionist yesterday and found out that my doctor is changing the post op diet. instead of a liquid diet for the first two weeks is now a soft Protein diet 2 days after surgery. i am a little nervous of this change because isnt a liquid diet easier for your stomach to handle after surgery?

I think I may have responded to you on another thread, but I'll respond again.

Most everyone here says that we should always follow our own doctor's advice. But in this case, I'd be a little nervous of that advice. I am a person who wants data to back up most things a health care provider is doing to/for me. The Allergan website (the folks who MAKE the LapBand) says this about food stages:

Post-Surgery Nutrition

After surgery, you will need a new nutrition plan. Your surgeon

and/or dietitian can help you learn about and get used to the changes in lifestyle and eating habits you need to make. It is very important to follow the eating and drinking instructions beginning immediately after the operation.

In the first few weeks after your surgery, you will be on a liquid diet since only thin liquids will be tolerated by your stomach at that time. As you heal, you will gradually progress to pureed foods (three to four weeks post-op) and then soft foods (five weeks post-op). Finally, you will be able to eat solid foods.

Granted perhaps there is new research that says prolonged periods on liquid diets are not necessary and the Allergan site just hasn't been updated yet. However, I would want to know WHY your surgeon and nut (nutritionist) are making such drastic changes to their post-op eating plan. I would also ask your surgeon about what her/his complication rate is and more specifically what their SLIP rates are. Are they making these changes because of the AP band and the selling point that it's less likely to slip because of it's width? Is there a study they can show you to support the move so soon to soft foods? Has surgical technique changed and is there a way now to access the back of the stomach (not previously accessed because of it's proximity to the spinal nerves) and suture the band (I haven't heard of it)?

The reason for the liquid diet is because the band gets "seated" on the stomach and held in place by scar tissue that forms during the weeks we are taking in liquids. The stomach is a muscle, and that muscle has to churn and undulate to digest and move food through. Liquid requires little stomach movement to process. When we start to chew something, that lets our digestive system know that food is coming down, fluids begin to be secreted to aid in digestion and the stomach starts moving in preparation to start the breakdown of food. The band is held in place on the front of the stomach by sutures in the stomach where it is pulled up and over the top of the band, then sutured to itself. There is nothing holding the back in place, the surgeon tunnels behind the stomach to pull the band around and then scar tissue forms to hold it. That scar tissue can't form properly or as well if the stomach is churning and moving to digest.

At least that's what the band folks have said for years that is how it all happens. Perhaps someone somewhere has done a new study and what we've always believed is actually not right. It's possible.

Do you see now why I'd be hesitant to eat so early?

Of course, if somoene can show me concrete good data (not just a study with a sample of a few patients) that the liquid is not necessary, then I'll be happy to change my thought process.

Mmm, I think I'd be hesitate to eat soft foods that early too. The trouble with mushies is that some things are not as mushie as you might think.

I'd do VERY VERY mushy, I had to do 3 weeks liquids but there wasnt any restriction on what I was allowed to eat - I did blend up "real" food, I didnt survive on shakes and juice. I made good Soups etc. That was easy and satisfying. That's what I'd do again if I were in the same situation.

personally, i dont recomend eating soft foods that soon. painful if you puke. i had a smoothie on the third of fouth day after my banding, i puked uncontrollable for a few hours off and on. ouch. i was so sick. i hurt for 3 days after. it cant hurt to stick with liquids for the 2weeks. your body needs to heal. so be careful.

thanks for the advise, i personally feel better sticking to a liquid diet for at least one week if not two then go from there. i can always talk to my doctor about this, also if she is just changing the diet now, she probably doesnt have any feedback on how people tolerate this diet.