Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Passing For Thin - Support Thread for Those Approaching Goal

I'll join this thread!

I totally feel the hot one day, not the next thing. I often see photos of myself lately and can't beleive its me though. I'm actually a pretty girl like everyone told me I was when I was at my biggest.

I guess my biggest issue at the moment is what my goal is going to be. I've already beaten the goal set for my by my Dr. I think I would like to lose another 25lbs or so. But I wonder what kind of train wreck my tummy is going to look like if I do. Its just awful now and while I am not opposed to PS (and would happily have a TT because I am not planning on having children), I simply can't afford it. I'd do it tomorrow if someone offered to pay for it for me.

It bothers me that I have done all this work and look pretty ok with clothes on now, but that when I am naked I just look awful. I don't think I would even wear a swimsuit because of my stomach overhang and skin texture and my boobs that sag like an 80 year olds. I have constant rashes under my boobs because of the moisture that collects there when I exercise (I've spoken to my Dr about it and apart from surgery, theres nothing to be done other than try to releive it with cream/ointment).

I curse myself often for letting myself get to the point that I did that my skin was so streched and marked that it won't snap back.

Hmmm I think my post got a little off topic...

She_Smiles, Don't give up hope with your skin. It's only been 7 months since your surgery and you haven't stabilized yet. They say that skin can take a couple of years to shrink to the full extent it's going to. I think there's hope for your stomach. For what it's worth, my Dad (who's a plastic surgeon) advised me to wear "spanx" type underwear as much as possible to help with the skin issues. He says the compression helps in the long run.

I think wondering "how did I let myself get that way" is part of our journey. I often feel sad for the old me. Sad that I missed out on so much during my 20s. Sad that my closest romantic relationships were in high school and early college. Sad that I need so much plastic surgery. Sad over so many things.

But that's only a small piece of what I feel. Mostly, I'm happy and proud of my accomplishments, as we all should be. I ran 5 miles today and it was no big deal at all. Last year this time, I couldn't run 5 feet.

Its sooooo good to focus on your athletic achievements. OK so running through my head is a fantasy that I actually look the way I feel when I run, but that feeling is real and its how YOU feel that counts, really, not how you look to others. As long as you feel great about yourself you could be green and spotty with nose hair, it just doesnt matter. I cant believe the self esteem I've gained from running.

But I wonder if Spanx would help my saddlebags? Its worth a try since you actually look good while wearing them anyway!

SheSmiles, I don't think that is off-topic in any way. The sags and realization that we may have permanently damaged our largest organ (skin) is a huge reality for all of us. I am just doing everything in my power to improve the health of my other organs and soul!

The Spanx gives great support! Julie talked me into trying it for the muffin top that was spilling out over my low rise jeans. I never understood that it could really help my skin. As far as the boobs go, I bind them up with three different kinds of bras when I run. (I just don't need any more damage!) While I fantasize over a TT, getting a lift might be harder for me. I'm scared that my boobs would be all perky and then I would just ruin them by running.

Recently I have been bruising on my legs. Could that be from running? I am kind of clumsy, but don't notice bumping into things. Hmmm...

Ran home from a party/fireworks show instead of riding in the car. It was a blast! Heading out now to get in a few more for the endurance work.

I'm scared that my boobs would be all perky and then I would just ruin them by running.

HA! I'm so glad you mentioned this! I've wondered the same thing.

People ask why I don't run outside, there is no way I could! I have to hold my boobs when I run! HAHA!!! It hurts if I don't. I haven't found a bra that is doable yet but I'm still working on it.

Julie... your Dad is a plastics guy, do you know about this specific issue? BTW, great idea for a thread!!

Brooks Running - Women's Apparel - Sport Tanks & Bras: Pro-Support Bra

This running bra changed my life. It comes in D and DD. It's expensive but I would have paid 5X the price, knowing what I know now. It made such a difference for me the first time I put it on.

Brooks Running - Women's Apparel - Sport Tanks & Bras: Pro-Fit Bra

This bra is what I use now that I'm a C. It's equally as good, but without the wire. It only fits B & C. Again, I'm a fan.

Not for one second wearing those bras have I ever thought I might be hurting my breast lift. My breasts really don't move in them. I'll ask my Dad the next time I talk to him, but I'm sure he'll say running is not a problem with the right bra.

Boo -- I used to double and triple bra to run as well. I don't know if the Brooks sizes fit you, but if they do, make the investment!

Yes, a good bra is all it takes, I'm an E cup and I can run without undue bounce. The good old Berlie Sports Bra suits me really really well, I cant find one to beat it. That brooks one looks good though!

<p>Julie, you did it again - pulled me back! This is why having this "sister bandits" support is like no other - pulled back into the positive. I've been in the dumpster for several weeks - I've been way too "tight", haven't been able to eat solids - got into mostly only liquids - then again tried solids and could not keep anything down.................went for an unfill and I can get solids down again..................I feel better physically and emotionally. A little frightening (everything goes down), but doable for a couple of weeks until I get back for a fill.</p> <p> </p> <p>Went to a 4th party at a friends house - they live on a beautiful lake - have a boat house where the party was held - down a million steep flights of stairs. Last year it took me about a half an hour to climb up....................I really felt like I'd have a heart attack.............this year I was winded, but put one foot in front of the other and made it up pretty fast (carrying things!). Got uuuu's and aaaaa's about how great I look.................................again, looking around the corner at my life today vs what it would have been without the help of my band and the effort of all those hours of good, clean, sweaty exercise - I've done good - come on "older age"..............I'm ready to tackle you!</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm going out to buy some Spanx today! - I thought it would just push it out either on the top or bottom? Do they make it for "arm flappies"? We could feel like a mummy.</p>

I met a lady in support group the other night. she is 71 years old!!! she's lost 208 pounds in the last 3 years!! She is just precious. Brings her husband to group. she is going in for plastic surgery later this month to get rid of her skin and be sexy again. She was definately a hoot and an inspiration!!

I just had this horrific fight with my husband Alan - who is scared silly for me to have ps - he thinks I'm too old to take the chance of elective surgery. We didn't actually have a fight about ps (just sort of around it).......????? I'm about at the place where with all the hanging skin - and am starting to think I'll stay around her for goal - I don't want more hanging and am wearing a 12/14 from a 3x............and feel decent (I didn't say perfect - as you all well know from previous posts)...........I got yelled at for having a couple of drinks ("empty calories") last night.................he watches what I eat and it drives me crazy - I love him to pieces and we hardly ever argue - he's just afraid for me and thinks for health reasons I should weigh less (and I think he's still worried I will gain this back - like always before).......................so, as soon as I get on this puter, the first thread I read is that a 71 year old adorable lady (I'm 67) who has lost 200 + lbs is going to have ps to feel sexy again! ugh! I'm going out in the 85 deg plus weather to pull weeds and sweat!

Julie, this is a great topic. Whenever I've lost weight in the past, self image has been a real problem, always leading to regaining the weight. I won't even be banded until Augut 2, but I'll be looking for this thread when I start passing for thin.

Betty,

I know this is completely between you and Alan, but have you considered having a panniculectomy rather than a full Tummy Tuck, kind of as a compromise? I BELIEVE that procedure is only about 1.5 hours, as opposed to the 4 a TT can be. It would take off the excess skin but not do the "bikini perfect" muscle work. It doesn't involve moving the belly button or anything. It's the kind of thing my Dad would do in his office OR under a heavy local sedation, rather than in the hospital under general. I would think a heavy local sedation would make Alan feel much, much better, no? I really think it would be all you'd really want as well. In all candor, Alan doesn't understand what carrying around a pannus is like. It is SO LIBERATING to be without it and I want that for you, if you want it for yourself. If not -- for whatever reason --, that's ok too.

I don't expect to ever has a washboard stomach (and in fact think that a rounded womanly tummy is much more sexy), but even if it shrank back 25% I'd be happy.

I truly think that's quite realistic She_Smiles, and I bet you achieve at least that. Keep your Water intake up and moisturize where you feel you need it.

This is a great thread. I am now at 167 after all time high of 270 and it still surprises me that I can wear a size 12. I was going to have PS this year, even got the quote and everything, but decided to put it off until next year. I never saw myself as really big when I was big and now I'm having issues seeing myself as smaller. I know a huge part of it is my tummy, it's awful.

I always believed it would get easier, better once I lost the weight. But guess what life is not perfect no matter what you weigh. It's a struggle and will always be a struggle. I still do not like to exercise and will look for any excuse not to start but once I start it really does feel great.

Great topic.

Ana

Well this is a great thread! I had planned to lose another 20 pounds but have been at this weight for 1 year this month. Can't seem to lose a pound more. I am having issues with feeling alot of fatiuge and have a hard time exercising. I walk a mile 5 times a week and that is about all I can handle.

You guys are all so inspiring, I have tried many things to get past this plateau but it seems my body doesn't want to let go of any more weight. I still feel heavy, I wear a sixe 14. Would love some suggestions.