Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Passing For Thin - Support Thread for Those Approaching Goal

Chickie, I'm GLAD you're here - you can likely give us some great insight as to what you went through that some of us are just now experiencing!

And Julie - part of me would love to be in a new situation where people didn't know me at 280+ lbs, but I agree, how can someone really know me without knowing the struggle I went through to get where I am today (and my journey isn't even over yet!).

I had someone tell me the other day that I might disappear if I turned sideways. Uhm. Yeah. Not quite... :confused: But it's odd to hear those types of comments, like skinny and thin...

Annie, I see you're sitting on the century marker -- congratulations!

Chickie, OF COURSE you're welcome on this thread. Please, lead the way!

I think I'm spending too much time on the forums and I think it's related to being close to goal. Like what in the heck and I going to do with myself once I'm no longer trying to lose weight. I guess I'll be trying to maintain weight, or trying to gain weight like Chickie. Sometimes I don't feel like I do much outside of weightloss. This isn't really true (I work, I have thin friends, hobbies), but sometimes it's how I feel.

Awesome. There are not really all that many "at goal" bandsters around these parts, lol, and I thought it best to ask before I jump in!

Yeah, like Julie said, I am trying to gain a little weight. I dropped down to 107 lbs. I am not all that happy being this thin. I worry that if I get sick (I can't eat when I am sic, even if it just a flu... I just can't face food) I will lose even more weight.

I am happier around 114lbs. I was a very, very loose Aussie 8 (I think that is a 2 or0? I will have to look it up) and I could still get clothes, now, I have to wear kids clothes. Girls clothes are cut differently than womens. No hips or boobs.

So yeah, I'd love to gain 7lbs back. I don't see it happening. I am going to have to have the rest of my fill removed I think. I have next to nothing in my band as it is, so I hope that what's left to be removed will make the difference.

On goals post weight loss goal; I found that I became very goal orientated during my weight loss. So I set new, non weight related goals for myself. Usually related to my running. The first was to start running again after my Tummy Tuck. The second was to run the Mothers Day Classic, and my next goal is to run the Green Bridge 8km run. That's coming up in September. I had grand idea's of running the Bridge to Brisbane, but they have over 7 thousand entries to date, and I am not sure I want to be pushed and shoved out of the way... Plus, it starts too early in the morning for me! LMAO

My goal for April next year is the University of Queensland's Triathlon. As soon as it is warm enough, I am getting back into the pool, and getting my backside ready for that one. I also need to buy a bike... The running I have down, because it's only a 3km run. I want to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack, so I have to start training now.

And a huge Congratulations to everyone who is approaching GOAL!

Hey ladies, I haven't even been banded yet but I'm going to lurk on this thread to try and ground myself in the reality that weight loss won't cure all of my ills. Since I'm currently at 330 pounds and dreaming that weight loss will make my life perfect, I need the truth! =) Great posts so far and GUYSIS....did you type out that entire article?? Bless you!!!

Weight loss will not solve all of your problems. It will not make your life perfect.

What it will do is resolve any weight related issues you may have, and obviously, your weight will be lower, and you will be more able to concentrate on the other issues in life.

I am still the same person now at 107lbs as I was at 297. I am a little more confident, and out going now, and I have found a wealth of new talents and strengths, but inside, I am exactly the same.

FYI: While life may not be perfect, it is WAY better than it was prior to the band and subsequent weight loss. We may be over the "honeymoon" phase, but I still feel thankful every day for this change in my life. Although tonight, I was eyeing the dishes around me that I couldn't dare eat. Odd for me, but once in a while I wish I could take a day off to try those unfriendly band foods.

Betty, are you on liquids? You might need to be after this last episode. Sometimes it can take 2-3 days to ease up and heal. Also, beware of anything really hot (coffee), spicy or acidic. My doctor says to take mylanta or pepto bismal(?) from time to time. It does help.

Audree, your picture is adorable and I am thrilled you've done so well.

Julie, if you are at all like me, weight and food issues have dominated your thoughts since you were a little girl. It seems this forum allows us to voice some of those fears and issues and actually get supportive, positive, and understanding answers, instead of self-loathing. It sounds like Chickie's goals are similar to yours. If I have learned anything about you over this past year, it is that you are extremely goal-oriented AND you accomplish what you set out to do.

While we are in this losing phase, we really do have to focus and train ourselves to change our habits. Don't you think that eventually we can balance our lives with fulfilling social, spiritual, artistic and intellectual activities that replace the constant focus on the physical? I do! Already I choose the theatre over dinner, friends over food, church over chocolate...(well, I'm still working on the chocolate;)) But I see this forum (our little group) as a tremendous blessing!

Oh yeah, and a huge welcome to Chickie, Ms. Gibson and Banannie!

Thanks Boo for the welcome and thanks Julie for noticing that I'm at 100 lbs! That was a BIG goal for me... :) I'm really liking this thread. :)

Was the FYI for me Boo?

Life is usually far from perfect. But I think that life can be wonderful, enjoyable, and everything you want it to be without perfection. And losing weight will solve weight related issues, but usually there are a myriad of underlying emotional issues that need resolving too.

I guess I am just realistic about things to the point of being blunt at times.

And thanks for the welcome.

No, it was for Gibson. I don't want her to be discouraged prior to being banded. Yeah, there is so much to learn and to deal with, but it is awesome to have this new life!

Yeah, the "s" word (skinny) and the "t" word (thin) are so foreign to me. Actually, I haven't gotten the "s" word yet, but several people have used the "t" word. It's the weirdest feeling. I've never been thin. I'm still not thin, but to some people I am.

The context is, I'm at a new job. I've only been with the firm for 6 weeks. A group of office assistants were talking in the hall about a diet one of them was trying. I was trying to be friendly and get to know some of my co-workers, so I tried to get in on the conversation. One of the ladies was like "yeah, but you're thin, so what would you know about it." (It didn't come across mean like it probably does here). I was like a deer in the headlights. Almost none of my colleagues know the old me.

For the most part, this is a good thing. In a way, I get to see what life is like for thin people, not formerly fat people. On the other hand, I had an extremely hard time (and still am) adjusting to this job. At least a small part of the adjustment was the fact that no one here KNOWS me. How can you know me at all and not know what I've been through over the last year? Even if I told them, they still wouldn't really get it, not having been with me at 350+.

It's really not a complaint. It's just something I'm going through while Passing for Thin....

I know what you mean. I have gotten that from people before. They just don't know where I have come from either or that I spent a large part of my life near the 220-240 range and was on my way back up. I had no control over my eating and was gaining every week steadily up!!!

I still don't feel like a thin person. I get shocked sometimes when I look in the mirror. I tend to still dress in a way that hides me.

But it is a journey I am glad I am on!!!

Awesome. There are not really all that many "at goal" bandsters around these parts, lol, and I thought it best to ask before I jump in!

Yeah, like Julie said, I am trying to gain a little weight. I dropped down to 107 lbs. I am not all that happy being this thin. I worry that if I get sick (I can't eat when I am sic, even if it just a flu... I just can't face food) I will lose even more weight.

I am happier around 114lbs. I was a very, very loose Aussie 8 (I think that is a 2 or0? I will have to look it up) and I could still get clothes, now, I have to wear kids clothes. Girls clothes are cut differently than womens. No hips or boobs.

So yeah, I'd love to gain 7lbs back. I don't see it happening. I am going to have to have the rest of my fill removed I think. I have next to nothing in my band as it is, so I hope that what's left to be removed will make the difference.

On goals post weight loss goal; I found that I became very goal orientated during my weight loss. So I set new, non weight related goals for myself. Usually related to my running. The first was to start running again after my Tummy Tuck. The second was to run the Mothers Day Classic, and my next goal is to run the Green Bridge 8km run. That's coming up in September. I had grand idea's of running the Bridge to Brisbane, but they have over 7 thousand entries to date, and I am not sure I want to be pushed and shoved out of the way... Plus, it starts too early in the morning for me! LMAO

My goal for April next year is the University of Queensland's Triathlon. As soon as it is warm enough, I am getting back into the pool, and getting my backside ready for that one. I also need to buy a bike... The running I have down, because it's only a 3km run. I want to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack, so I have to start training now.

And a huge Congratulations to everyone who is approaching GOAL!

Congrats!!!! You are an inspiration!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

FYI: While life may not be perfect, it is WAY better than it was prior to the band and subsequent weight loss. We may be over the "honeymoon" phase, but I still feel thankful every day for this change in my life. Although tonight, I was eyeing the dishes around me that I couldn't dare eat. Odd for me, but once in a while I wish I could take a day off to try those unfriendly band foods.

Betty, are you on liquids? You might need to be after this last episode. Sometimes it can take 2-3 days to ease up and heal. Also, beware of anything really hot (coffee), spicy or acidic. My doctor says to take mylanta or pepto bismal(?) from time to time. It does help.

Audree, your picture is adorable and I am thrilled you've done so well.

Julie, if you are at all like me, weight and food issues have dominated your thoughts since you were a little girl. It seems this forum allows us to voice some of those fears and issues and actually get supportive, positive, and understanding answers, instead of self-loathing. It sounds like Chickie's goals are similar to yours. If I have learned anything about you over this past year, it is that you are extremely goal-oriented AND you accomplish what you set out to do.

While we are in this losing phase, we really do have to focus and train ourselves to change our habits. Don't you think that eventually we can balance our lives with fulfilling social, spiritual, artistic and intellectual activities that replace the constant focus on the physical? I do! Already I choose the theatre over dinner, friends over food, church over chocolate...(well, I'm still working on the chocolate;)) But I see this forum (our little group) as a tremendous blessing!

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

We have about the same amount to go to hit goal!!!!

I am hoping to hit goal with fill #3 helping me. I hope I finally hit the sweet spot.

Annie, I see you're sitting on the century marker -- congratulations!

Chickie, OF COURSE you're welcome on this thread. Please, lead the way!

I think I'm spending too much time on the forums and I think it's related to being close to goal. Like what in the heck and I going to do with myself once I'm no longer trying to lose weight. I guess I'll be trying to maintain weight, or trying to gain weight like Chickie. Sometimes I don't feel like I do much outside of weightloss. This isn't really true (I work, I have thin friends, hobbies), but sometimes it's how I feel.

J...

I understand what you mean about spending too much time here. Look at my post count! HA! But I justify it by saying that if I don't know an answer to a question I research it to death until I find an answer I am comfortable giving and that teaches me a great deal. Truth is, for the first time in my life I actually feel comfortable discussing these issues. I feel comfortable with the people here and I feel comfortable being so bloody honest it hurts. People here get it and think nothing of it. They deal with the same issues.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that you started this thread. I need to hear from those who are nearing goal and those who are at goal in the biggest way possible right now. I am focusing on all the negs right now and I don't see any positives. I think I thought losing weight would cure everything. While most of my issues are weight related, losing weight still doesn't cure everything. I didn't realize any of this until this thread. It is so therapeutic for me to read here. This very thread does more for me than I have words to express.

I have to fess up to something, I think I am ruining success here. I think I am fighting goal and in my particular situation, it takes a GREAT deal of effort to maintain weight, it's easy to lose, it's hard to maintain. Yet I haven't lost a pound in 2 weeks. That is soooo not typical for me. I think I'm afraid to reach goal. How freak'en weird is that??

Those at goal, please don't leave. We need you. Same with those nearing goal.