Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster Hell: Anyone in Heaven?

Hi, I am pre-op and have yet to have final approval. I've been reading the boards off and on for some time and notice a lot of issues surrounding slow weightloss and hunger. Is there anyone out there who is doing well or not having too much issue with hunger? Or is "bandster hell" going to be a part of the journey no matter what?

I find myself unsure of lap band because of the level of difficulty so many seem to be having. Yet, the idea of malabsorption via gastric bypass scares me. For all of the negatives I find with the gastric bypass, they seem to have it easier. I wonder if lap band will be for me, if I am already afraid of "bandster hell".

Oh, just tried Unjury Protein Powder today. Awesome!!!;)

Hi Pandagirl,

I just have to say that the hunger I felt in "Bandster Hell" was NOTHING compared to the hunger during the pre-op diet. Honestly, I have not been hungry in the way I was before since being banded on May 17...not even pre-fill. It really does change everything for the better!

Wen

Hi, I am pre-op and have yet to have final approval. I've been reading the boards off and on for some time and notice a lot of issues surrounding slow weightloss and hunger. Is there anyone out there who is doing well or not having too much issue with hunger? Or is "bandster hell" going to be a part of the journey no matter what?

I find myself unsure of lap band because of the level of difficulty so many seem to be having. Yet, the idea of malabsorption via gastric bypass scares me. For all of the negatives I find with the gastric bypass, they seem to have it easier. I wonder if lap band will be for me, if I am already afraid of "bandster hell".

Oh, just tried unjury Protein powder today. Awesome!!!;)

Pandagirl, I have yet to be banded, July 9th to be exact, I have 2 close friends who have been banded, 1 has no problems at all, he exercises, eats 3 meals a day and chews his food, he follows all the rules and never pbings, and has lost over a 100lbs, my other buddy, does not listen to any of the rules pbings alot, but he eats whatever, doesn,t exersise and still lost over 100lbs, I'm going to follow all the rules, I want to be a healthy husband and father, it is going to take dedication and hardwork, take care and good luck, Danny

I can't say I am in lapband heaven but I am not in lap hell either. It must be purgatory!!! lol I was banded 2 weeks ago so I am not an expert but I have not been hungery Soup and high protien liquid fill me up. I have lost about 15 lb in the last 6 weeks. I don't expect the weight to come of fast that is one of the reasons I chose the lap band. i want my skin to have the chance to shrink while I am losing weight. I don't want to have to have any unessary surgery to remove excess skin if I don't have to that is why i want to lose weight slowly one or two lb a week is fine with me. I didn't gain it overnight so I don't expect to lose it overnight either.

I look at the band as a tool to help me succeed in my weightloss efforts.

It is a tool to help keep me from cheating on my weightloss plan. So far so good. With gastric bypass you are forced to change your eating habits. If you are not commited to giveing up sugar and changing your eating habits you are not ready for either sugery. It is all up to you. I as so glad I was banded. Hope this helps in your decision.

I think it is important to remember that a lot of people that have had complications too are searching for answers and support. (totally understandable)

However, I know several people that had no complications, have been very successful 2-4 years post op and are so happy with life. Some people post on forums and others don't.

Keep in mind that those with complications are a small fraction of surgeries actually done.

Hang in there. My surgery date is 7/11. I am soooo excited.

;)

I went into the "band" idea with an understanding that it was a tool to help me lose weight. I was told that I would have to change some of my habits to succeed. I was told that it was not a picnic or get thin over night fix. I was instructed that I would be expected to be a willing participant in my diet intake and my execerise program. I was told that I would need "fills" to aid in the weight loss. so in saying all that, I must say that every word was true! I do not regret for one second my decision to be "banded". Yes, I have been hungry and yes I have been discouraged that I have not lost more weight than I have. Yes, I want it now....my weight to be gone...to eat whatever I want.....and to never have to shop for "fat" clothes again! Now back to reality, I love watching the weight go...even slowly. I love have more energy. I love watching my clothes get baggy....my neck getting thin....having my stomach getting more flat and firm....saggy bottom firming up and knees not hurting...I could go on. I would do it over in a heart beat. I hope it turns out for you but you must decide if it is right for you. You really need to be committed to take the step of being banded. Do your homework and really talk to yourself. Really know if you can give "yourself" the time and effort it takes.

Bandster hell?? I must say--I could qualify for that after my second fill. I was shocked over my inability to eat chicken. I chopped it-cut it into small pieces and more. It wouldn't stay down. If I had to count my times of using the bathroom--throwing up--I would be up near 25 times...

But these days--after my second fill on June 13th--I've only thrown up a few times. Most was chicken on the same day. So now that is not a part of my meal process. I am strictly fish, shrimp, I have tastes soft pork too. I don't weight myself every morning or every week. But with a 33 pound weight loss in 12 weeks--I am sitting on the 2.75 average a week. Can I complain--no way. I know there will be weeks that I may not make that average--but If i can average at least 2.5 each week for the next 27 weeks--I could be another 67 to 68 pounds lighter. I hope I can maintain this.

I am no longer in hell--I enjoy eating less and lighter. Makes feel so much better--so much motivated too...Every blue moon--I may have a cooler--but no hard alcohol for me. I drank a glass of Brandy for my "50" Birthday last week. It made me sleepy is all. I said..that was a good sleeping drink...

How was the chicken cooked? I have a friend who had the bypass who can't eat chicken unless stewed and only the dark meat. Are there any other foods you have trouble with?

Hi Pandagirl,

I just have to say that the hunger I felt in "Bandster Hell" was NOTHING compared to the hunger during the pre-op diet.

Wen

What was your pre-op diet?

I went into the "band" idea with an understanding that it was a tool to help me lose weight.

I get that. I have been wondering if gatric bypass is easier because of the Grehlin(sp) effect. My friends who've had the bypass say they are, in general, not hungry. That aspect seems desireable though the other issues bypass brings about are not.

Pandagirl, I have yet to be banded, July 9th to be exact...

Good luck, I hope all goes well with your surgery. And you are right, all of this will take great dedication and work.

I think the best thing you can do is read this forum; ask questions; get informed! I too read a lot here! Asked questions! And I have to say....at least at a month past being banded....nothing has surprised me., I feel prepared for the journey!

I was only in "Bandster Hell" right before solid foods! I seem to have restriction after being able to eat solid foods! I make sure I get in Proteins too! So at least right now.....I know I'm into it just a little ways!....I have not really struggled and have yet to "PB"....but I get a fill tomorrow...so It could all change I suppose!!!

My sister had the Gastric bypass.....she was so miserable as she lost yes but she was so hungry. She actual would get mad because she could not eat more. Her stomach said "no" but her head hunger tried to take over. Same with band....you can feel restricted but still have the head hunger. I really love the "band" and the weight I have lost. There is no easy fix. You do have to be willing to do without....but when I do want something....I do a small amount to satisfy my desire but then back on the plan. Hope this helped!

I've tried it baked, fried. chicken Soup too...Nothing makes me feel good about eating it again...I am gonna settle with catfish and many other fishes that are easily baked....