Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still in the pre-op stages of lapband. I have a question for all of you. I work in a VERY hot environment. The possibility of de-hydration is very real, especially during the summer months with the high temps of summer. I work 12 hour shifts, and am having trouble trying to figure out how to balance my meals with the very real necessity of making sure that I can get enough H2O in. I understand that drinking after meals for 1 1/2 hours is necessary to make sure Im not eating too much, but on the other hand, how do I make sure Im not getting de-hydrated? My meal times are not "scheduled", and if there is something to be done, I am expected to run and get it done. Making it all but impossible to go without drinking something, especially for that long of a period. Any suggestions??

UMMM, yeah. Drink all day long.... My surgeon wants me to drink at least 8 ozs of non-caloric liquid immediately prior to eating, and then he only wants me to wait at least 30 minutes after I'm done eating to resume drinking. I don't understand the 90 minute wait afterward to drink anything. I do understand waiting, but I think that's a bit excessive. (DISCLAIMER: Just my thoughts, please follow your surgeon's instructions....)

Carry with you a Water jug, and drink from it all day long, though, and as long as you're doing that, even if you do wait 90 minutes after a meal to drink, you should still be good to go.

I was told no liquids for 1/2 hour before I eat and not until 1 1/2 hours after I eat. There's no way, where I work, that I can go that long without something to drink. Right now, I do drink all day long, Im just wondering if that's gonna be ok, or what?

I also drink right up until i eat then i wait 30 mins afterwards. Discuss this with your doctor.

You should be ok as long as you're drinking plenty whenever you CAN, including in the morning before you go to work, and in the evening, and not just when you're out in the heat. If after a few days of working in the heat, that you find yourself becoming dehydrated, call your surgeon, and ask if it's ok to shorten your before and after times, or see if they have any recommendations for you.

When are you being banded????

Thanks, everyone for your input. I will definately have to discuss this a little more with my surgeon and dietician. As of yet, I haven't got a date set. I have 2 more appointments with the shrink, so hoping for sometime in August, maybe early Sept.

Well, if you're banded in early September, the heat shouldn't be as opressive when you get back to work, and you'll have the whole fall/winter and spring to get used to your new lifestyle, and you'll be able to work into it.

Good luck!

Yes, it will be a little cooler. However, even on the cool days, it's well into the 100's where I work. And Im talking even on days when it's -30 outside!!! So, I've gotta figure out what to do about that.

This may sound really wierd, but it sounds like you might work outdoors or in a factory? If so, my DH has a "camelpak" that he uses when he bikes. It's a backpack with a bladder tank for Water (or I suppose anything) with tubing as a straw. This way he stays hydrated and isn't reaching for a bottle constantly.

hi Jeanie,

i have been banded almost 10 months and i do not sip. i sipped for the first month or so and if i get a fill, i sip a few days after that, but nope, not for the most part...

good luck!

Hey, thanks, losingjusme, awesome! I was worried about that one, didn't know if I could "sip" for the rest of my life, lol!!!!!!

I am still in the pre-op stages of lapband. I have a question for all of you. I work in a VERY hot environment. The possibility of de-hydration is very real, especially during the summer months with the high temps of summer. I work 12 hour shifts, and am having trouble trying to figure out how to balance my meals with the very real necessity of making sure that I can get enough H2O in. I understand that drinking after meals for 1 1/2 hours is necessary to make sure Im not eating too much, but on the other hand, how do I make sure Im not getting de-hydrated? My meal times are not "scheduled", and if there is something to be done, I am expected to run and get it done. Making it all but impossible to go without drinking something, especially for that long of a period. Any suggestions??

cj ole,

I use Isopure from GNC mixed with Water to get my water in but also it adds Protein so that I can go longer without a meal. You might want to try this. They come in a 20 ounce bottle that has 40 grams of protein. They don't have any carbs in them and come in lots of flavors. I put 5 ounces of the Isopure and 15 ounces of water in a 20 ounce bottle. I drink 4 a day between meals. I like the Apple Melon flavor, but don't like it undiluted without the water (too strong tasting and it "coats" the tongue).