Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with exercise

I haven't gotten surgery yet. I'm going to try losing weight without surgery first. I currently weigh 470 pounds and it seems impossible to find exercise equipment for people my size. I have a recumbent bike that is rated for 250 pounds. I have used it and my inner thighs get tired. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not used to riding, or I'm too cramped on the bike? I can only last 10 minutes before my legs get too tired. It's frustrating because I'm not out of breath and my heart rate isn't that high. If I ride 3 times a day at 10 minutes, would that be effective? I'm hoping with weight loss I'll fit better on the bike and can ride longer. My caloric intake per day is roughly 1500 calories. I would ultimately like to do 3 sessions of 30 minutes a day. I also want to make sure the fatigue in my thighs is not something I should worry about and am just getting back in shape.

Due to my size (I have been and still am too large for most exercise equipment) and my joints, I prefer to exercise in the Water. Do you have access to a pool? I love water aerobics and it happens to be a great workout.

Due to my size (I have been and still am too large for most exercise equipment) and my joints, I prefer to exercise in the Water. Do you have access to a pool? I love Water aerobics and it happens to be a great workout.

I don't have access to a pool. I work from home and being to exercise in my home would be the best option. I do like swimming. I'm sure there is a pool near me but it is not as practical as being able to exercise at home.

Boss, I feel it right along with you.

I'm going through those "getting started" pains and I learned the hard way to listen to your body and ensure that what you experience is simply soreness and not injury.

It takes a while to get our tendons and muscles accustomed to our new movements and work load.

It's easy to let enthusiasm fuel workouts beyond what our body is initially ready for. That being said.....you'll reach a point where your body is ready and does need the mind to push it harder. The tough part is learning what is soreness and what is injury.

The last thing you want is to be sidelined due to injury. It can be maddening when you are revved up and motivated....but injured. Sucks outright.

As far as finding the gear that's sturdy and safe.......I simply gave up. The gear was available, but my wallet wasn't large enough to bankroll it.

The great news is that Gold's and Planet Fitness and other gyms were competing bigtime for memberships and offering $10 a month deals. I jumped on that.

It was intimidating at first.....I was slipping in there at slow hours....and hiding in their dark cardio cinemas and grinding it out on treadmills and later on ellipticals. I eventually even started lifting weights and became hooked on that aspect. I should've used moderation and kept doing cardio, too. I tore my shoulder, wrist and added another hernia that ultimately needed surgery. I let myself get way out of shape again after this.

Now I'm back.

Right there with you, trying to get things krunk up again. Smarter this time.

I"m a member of a great gym and I've sought the advice of the trainers on occasion. No more midnight solo lifting sessions in the 24 hr gym where I'd do damage. Now it's cardio and when I do resume weights it will be very cautiously and using the plate loaded equipment with safe ranges of motion designed into the machine.

Be careful, man.

Be your own best advocate.....coach yourself.......push yourself.....but please.....please do it safely so your plans don't get derailed. The last thing you want is to have to stop and heal for months. Keep that great momentum moving safely ahead.

My legs feel fine a couple minutes after I stop. I'm thinking I'm just too cramped because when I pedal my legs hits my stomach. I'm looking at bikes online and I can't really tell if they will have more room than what I have.

Doing 3 sets of sessions is better than nothing. I would go as long as is comfortable and add more minutes as you lose and are able to do so. It will take time for you to build up to a better work-out but at least you are moving forward and on track! Good luck and Keep up the great effort!

I used those same types of bikes, too.

I think that my legs beat my beer gut like a punching bag.

It's hard getting a comfortable fit sometimes at your height.

My parents have a recumbent bike so I may give that one a spin to see if it is better. I found one that says it accommodates people up to 6'3. I'm 6'0 so that extra 3 inches may help in my larger size.

@@sgc,

Congratulations on taking steps to get healthier!

Any exercise is better than none so if you have to do it in 3 sessions go for it! Also don't forget about the benefit of just plain walking. It is how most of us start and you will find that it is beneficial for many reasons.

Your weight starts to come off and you build endurance each time you take a walk.

I wish you the best of luck!

I ended up getting a peddler. My only issue is that it moves on the floor. I think I can weigh out down so it stays put. Once I lose enough weight with that, I could probably fit better on my bike.

SGC, I take spin classes and my knees hit my stomach and it makes me so mad! I adjusted the seat so now they aren't hitting as bad but it's still annoying. I can't wait to get rid of this stomach of mine. I haven't gotten the surgery yet either but am so looking forward to it. I love to work out and weighing less will make it so much more fun! The elliptical or just walking will help you get moving and feeling better. I always feel great after a workout. I do Zumba and spin classes as well as the elliptical. I need to start lifting some weights soon. Good luck!

I'm thinking a semi recumbent bike may work. I think with being more on top of the pedals would be better. I'm thinking of getting this bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Exerpeutic-400XL-Folding-Recumbent-Bike/dp/B004O6TXVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439340821&sr=8-1&keywords=semi+recumbent+bicycles

I solved my bike issue. I placed a thick pillow on the seat. This raises me up about an inch or two so I'm able to get an additional inch or so of leg extension and am now able to pedal for 30 minutes without leg soreness. It also makes the seat more comfortable to boot.

Yes, you are going to feel aches and pains like that. 3 times a day for 10 minutes is really great, and will help.. eventually you can increase it to 3 times a day for 15.. then 20.. then twice a day for 30 mins each.. every little bit will help.

Since creating this thread, I'm up to two 30 minute sessions a day. I have even upped the resistance on my bike. It was really my legs were just not used to the exercise.