Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tax claim....... being audited!

did this happen to anyone else when u claimed ur surgery? how did it work out for u?

what a pain.

If you have all your receipts and or cancelled checks, you should be ok.

good luck

edie (survivor of audit for different issue)

sg sg - How much difference was there in your return with the claiming of the band. If it is too personal to answer you can pm me or don't answer. Either way is ok, just curious. Thanks, D

Was it just a letter asking you to provide receipts for medical expenses claimed? If so, it is not an audit but simply a routine check. This often happens with things like medical expenses, tuition, rent, child care expenses. Just make sure you send in your receipts on time and you should have absolutely no issue. ;)

We were audited and challenged the IT people that they had made 13 errors in their calculations. After 1 year of proving our claims, and demanding an apology, we got a letter telling us we owed zero. Nothing more.

All of the errors were data imput errors by their own staff. So if you did our homework and have all your receipts try not to let their superior "we never make mistakes" attitude get you down.

hi, no i dont mind telling u what the refund was........ problem is, im not exactly sure myself because it turned out that i would have owed this year...... so the 2 cancelled each other out..... id guess around 3 thousand, but dont quote me

thanks for the replies. and yeah it was just a request for receipts...im really greatful that its not a full audit.. but it scared me just the same! lol

Don't be scared :)

It's normal for receipts to be asked for for a suddenly large medical claim. Once you send your receipts you'll be all set!

Doddie, sorry for your experience, but not everyone who works for CRA is like that. I doubt you could interact with any company who employs that many people and not hit a bad experience every once in awhile.

Maybe your are right. But over a year we ran into an unbending burocracy that quoted the rules over and over again and would not budge. For instance, they clawed back his OAP and when he proved it was their fault, they would not reimburse the money they took. They told him he had lost it forever even though it was their fault. It was only constant visit to the office and forcing the issue we got a manager to tell him how he could get his OAP arrears back. It was the end of that year, my DH had a stroke shortly after he got the zero balance. I have no love for the CRA

It was the end of that year, my DH had a stroke shortly after he got the zero balance. I have no love for the CRA

They are a sad and sorry lot. They work on the assumption that everyone is a liar and a cheat.

I've been asked to submit reciepts on 3 seperate occasions. Once I owned rental property, I retained an accountant to do my taxes and never looked back. Now if there is any questions from revenue canada, my accountant handles it. It's certainly worth the extra money.

I've been asked to submit reciepts on 3 seperate occasions. Once I owned rental property, I retained an accountant to do my taxes and never looked back. Now if there is any questions from revenue canada, my accountant handles it. It's certainly worth the extra money.

+1 for an accoutant. They are not really that expensive, and they often save you money by finding additional deductions as well as the hassle of dealing with CRA.

Andrew

Yes I whole heartedly agree, but my DH has always done his own. Now I think we will be looking at an CA. We are planning to claim my band costs next year so hopefully he will get a CA. I must admit, when you see the statistics about how many errors are made by professionals because of the complexities it makes one wonder about the people who make up the rules. All I know, over the years, he has had no problems with his work so hopefully I can convince him to let others have the headache. Doddie

I just spoke with someone at TLBC.

She assures me that receipts will be issued within the next few days.

Sg_sg, let's hope that they arrive before our cutoff date given by CRA.

Guess I've been lucky in my dealings with the CRA. Sorry to hear about all the bad experiences.

Weenette and sg_sg if you call the 1-800 they will extend the time to submit the receipts.

LMCHP No need for your to apologize it is CRA that should do that. My point I tried to make was don't panic, have your house in order and you will come out on top BUT be prepared for what could be a rocky road. I sure hope Weenette your road is smooth. Good luck.