Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be able to get in enough protein to bodybuild?

I'm talking about later......after I'm at least two years out from my bypass.

Will I be able to take in enough Protein daily to be effective?

I was able to make some great headway a few years back after first losing a great deal of weight.

I reached a point where I wanted to drop cardio and focus just on weight training. During this time, It seemed like I was eating much of the same foods I'll be mostly eating post-op. I just didn't know if I'd be able to consume enough to fuel significant muscle growth like I was able to do back then.

Edited by Dub

Yes, Dub, you will, but you have to work at it. My nutritionist says to eat Protein 80% of every meal, which leaves 20% for a bit of low sugar veges and fruit, and almost no grains, and eat two Protein Snacks a day. This gives me over 80-90 g of protein a day. Initially I had trouble getting it in, but now it is routine. I start when I get up with a homemade Protein Drink (1/2 whey, 1/2 dry milk powder, milk and Water, blended with a bit of fruit like peach or applesauce) which is 30 g. I eat soft prepared chicken, pork, but mainly white fish or salmon for other meals, also some low fat cheese. I was roughly your size, BMI over 52 originally, down 80# in three months, and swim/walk and lift weights for workout.

BTW, that six months goes quick. I go through alot of clothing, but have a bunch of good jeans, from 52W/32L on down, and have more all the time...message me if you want them (free). I live rural, so jeans and T-shirts are my uniform. I have gone from 3xl shirts to XL already, almost out of 46w jeans...

How about taking a look at the vegan and natural bodybuilders? They are able to do it without animal meat, so you should be able to also.

Thanks.

I'm not talking about anything crazy......just preserving as much muscle as I can and lifting to enhance it.

I know energy will be low at first....just hoping I can get my Protein and Water down each day with no trouble.

Be careful of overdosing on protein....you can get too much and overload the kidneys.....

Many a High School football player would up in the ER going into renal Failure....also the elderly in Nursing Homes.

People think the more the better and only do harm.

So can you build muscle with 90 grams of Protein a day? Everything I read says you need calories above maintenance. I really want to build arm muscles.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

So can you build muscle with 90 grams of Protein a day? Everything I read says you need calories above maintenance. I really want to build arm muscles.

Yes you can. post-161802-14395968763263_thumb.jpg

Wow @ erp .. ! You look amazing!.. If u don't mind my asking whats ur wkout regimen... I'm almost 2 weeks post op and I'm trying to plan my exercise and want to known what i can do when. Also.. Seems like u have no tummy flab! Please share ur secret! Thanks

Yes I've done just fine

Yes you can. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBariatricPal1439596874.958763.jpg

You look great !!!! Hard work paying off.

Wow @ erp .. ! You look amazing!.. If u don't mind my asking whats ur wkout regimen... I'm almost 2 weeks post op and I'm trying to plan my exercise and want to known what i can do when. Also.. Seems like u have no tummy flab! Please share ur secret! Thanks

I was NOT an exercise person pre-op. I simply accepted the fact that if I wanted the maximum result, I would need to do my part. I started with walking daily. At 3 months out, I walked and jogged. Finally at 6 months out I realized that I was half way through my "honeymoon" and scared I was wasting it. I hired a personal trainer and started exercising for "real" 3 days a week. Fast forward to now, I still workout with my trainer and we focus on strength training mostly. I also workout on my own 1 or 2 days a week taking classes at the gym. Some weeks I do the minimum, which for me is 3 days a week. Some weeks I am very motivated and I workout 6 days a week.

I am doing about 110g of Protein a day on average, 150 on days when I lift weights (I throw in a Protein shake post workout). Been mixing in genpro (1/3 of a scoop) with yogurt and coffee and eggs at Breakfast. I'm keeping my hair and muscles.