Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Joint Pain - ouch!

Hi! For all you "big losers" out there I was wondering if your joint pain got better after you dropped some weight??? I would love to hear about the severity and type of your joint pain and how your are feeling now!

Thanks!:D:help::sick:ranger::D

I have lost 180lbs and my joint pain is a lot better. After all the years of damage done by the weight I will always have some pain, but it is nothing like it was before.

Hi! Would like some more feedback to this thread!

I need two total knee replacements and prior to losing the weight, I was barely able to walk I had so much pain. My last cortisone injections were back in the first week of January and I'm only taking one Aleve in the AM and one in the PM for pain control.

Currently, the pain is manageable but not gone. I will have to have the knee replacements but my plan is to keep losing as much as I can so that the recovery is a lot faster and easier. My surgeon told me that for each pound lost, there is a 3 pound reduction on weight bearing joints.

Can you be a little more specific about the kind of joint pain you are experiencing? Which joints are hurting, what time of day do you experience the pain, joint swelling, redness, heat, etc.? You may be experiencing some other problems, not directly related to your weight or the lapband. I would think along with weight loss, you would be experiencing less joint pain instead of developing more after your surgery. That seems odd.

I had a chronic bursits problem in my right heel, to the point where I could hardly walk on it and it was severely impacting my daily life. I had a cortisone injection and the Fluid drained right befor band surgery which really helped and since then I've taken up running.

Its not gone, I still have a problem with that foot, and it can get pretty sore after a long run, I always hobble when I get up in the morning for a while too, but it is totally manageable and once I warm up for the day I dont really notice it. A big improvement after losing 80lb but there is something wrong there that I"ll have to address.

Can you be a little more specific about the kind of joint pain you are experiencing? Which joints are hurting, what time of day do you experience the pain, joint swelling, redness, heat, etc.? You may be experiencing some other problems, not directly related to your weight or the lapband. I would think along with weight loss, you would be experiencing less joint pain instead of developing more after your surgery. That seems odd.

Hi - actually I am presurgical right now. I just got approved two weeks ago and I am now waiting to get on the surgical schedule. I have severe knee pain and sometimes when I walk I have to use a cane. The doctor told me I was too young and too heavy to have knee replacement right now.

I am hoping that after banding that the joint pain will get better that is why I was kind of taking a survery. I am hoping that after I lose 100 plus pounds that I won't knee the replacement.

Thanks!

Michelle:ranger:

that was need the knee replacement.

I can identify with the knee pain. I had to have my left ACL repaired and about 75% of the meniscus scoped out at the same time. It was a mess. The ortho doctor told me then I would probably need to have it completely replaced before I turned 50. :cry

Unfortunately, I've also been recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis which is why I was asking about so many questions kind of pain you were having. Have you been to an orthopedic or rheumatologist to have them give you an indepth evaluation? It might be well worth the time to see if there's anything to be done to give you some relief while you are in the process of being banded and losing the excess weight.

I know the pain of arthritis can be absolutely excruciating. I hope you find some relief with the surgery and weight loss. GOOD LUCK!

Jacqui - about your morning foot pain...have you tried stretching it before you get out of bed? Use a towel around your foot and dorsiflex (pull the toes toward your head). That gently stretches the plantar fascia (which relaxes while you sleep) before you put the weight of your whole body on it and stretch it.:eek:

Elisabeth, you said you were taking Aleve. My surgeon told me I could never again take Aleve, Motrin or any type anti-inflammatory med because of the risk of ulcers in my new stomach. What did your surgeon say and have you had any adverse effects? I have had back pain for a month and have been going to the chiropractor since I knew I couldn't take anything. :eek:

UGH! Never taking motrin? I practically live on it now that I'm scared to take celebrex. What am I going to do? My knee pain is horrible. My Rhumetologist recommended the lap band to help with the pain. I have arthritis in my spine, knees, hips, knuckles and now my elbows and shoulders are giving me fits. It's supposed to help to lose a lot of weight, but my right knee has also been scooped out (Meniscus) and now it's just bone on bone. I doubt weight loss will help that. It sure will be nice to get up off the couch like a normal person though. I look forward to that and not dreading a flight of stairs.

Jachut, I too hobble in the morning. My achilles tendon is tight as a drum and it takes about an hour to work it out and walk normally. I hate it. I noticed that both of my sons have this problem as well. So does my Dad. I'm wondering if it's not a hereditary structural problem. The doctors I've talked to about it, don't really seem to care or want to address it.

Yes, I wonder too. Thankfully, its not my tendon, that's fine, its the bursa behind it, chronically inflamed. Its caused so they say by the fact that I overpronate, on both feet but particularly on that one, it pulls the tendon out of alignment, which rubs the bursa and causes it to inflame and fill with Fluid, When I get up of course, its all full of Fluid, which is why it hurts, then as you move around it squeezes the fluid out of it.

I had heelspurs in exactly that spot on both my feet that were surgically removed 22 years ago, so yes, I agree, its probably a hereditary structural problem, and my 11 year old son often gets severe pain in the same area after a basketball game.

I think the doctors dont do anything about it because its a devil of a problem to fix basically.

I do stretch, loads, because it makes the calf knotted and tight, which in turn starts to affect my back. But I've never really done it first thing in the morning, - it would make a lot of sense to!