Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What advice did you get at 1 year or annual checkup?

Recently had my one year check up. I would like to lose about 25 more pounds and I asked my surgeon for his best tips at this stage when I no longer feel a lot of restriction. He told me to up my Protein intake to 80 grams per day,be consistent about always eating protein first, avoid liquid calories, don't drink with meals, and drink lots of Water 45 minutes after a meal when I start to feel like I want to eat a little more, and no eating within 2 hours of bedtime. I am curious if any of you get advice from your doc at annual check-ups and what tips they have given you to stay on track.

I get just about the same but my Protein goal is between 55-75. I just had my 3 year and I asked about following more of a Mediterranean diet. She said Proteins were high enough and just not to eat the bread, "Mediterranean low-carb," she said with a smile.

I didn't get any real advice from the surgeon. At least you got that.

Same here; no advice and I don't really have any follow up doctors. I get most of my advice from here! But at 3.5 years out I am still at goal...and I can tell you, just do the 5:2 or 5 day pouch test (with my social life I can usually only make it 3 days) but I can tell you, after just two days my restriction is back! Grateful for that. I do want to lose 5 lbs before the end of the year because I want to have some extra skin removed from my stomach. Good luck!

My surgeon has revised Protein goals to 80 plus (used to be 60).

My personal experience was I had to go really low carb and high intensity interval training to get the last stubborn pounds off

My surgeon has revised Protein goals to 80 plus (used to be 60).

My personal experience was I had to go really low carb and high intensity interval training to get the last stubborn pounds off

Yes my advice was to exceed 80g Protein at 1yr and I have just had my 18month ( which was 3 moths late now 21 months ) and the surgeon has stuck with that advice plus all of the obvious no drinking with meals etc

I think your surgeon offered some good advice.

any one get advice from your doc at annual check-ups

@@tiredmama

i had a good surgeon :)

he was nice

surgery was successful :)

luckily my surgery went without a hitch

i didn't have any problem with pain or recovery

doc never requested a follow up :blink:

in other words no advice or help was ever given to me :wacko:

i saw my NUT 3 times prior to surgery

she left the hospital

no follow up from anyone else :wacko:

hope you get more help than i did

i am constantly hearing/reading stories

people say they talk to their NUT or surgeon getting advice/help :)

i'm sad that i didn't receive that help :mellow:

maybe i should have spoken up more and "tried" to get some help from doc/nut

would have been nice to have someone to talk to, ask questions

luckily i found this board, and you all have been very helpful, except............... :D

December 15th i have my annual appointment

that day is my 4 year surgiversary :rolleyes:

(confession is good for the sole - i am 6.2 lbs over goal :angry: - but i am working on getting

those nasty excess lbs off

i will do it!!!

i go once a year to get weighed

briefly talk to nurse

she and staff always comment how great i look (always nice to hear) :)

hope you have been given good info from doc/NUT this past year

congrats on your weight loss

keep up the good work

kathy

@ ProudGrammy...I think we are the same person! Same height, same starting weight, same surgery year, same weight now (I am also about 6 lbs more than I want to be) and I had zero, nada, no follow up. I had the surgery and 3 weeks later continued my year of travel. This board saved me!!!! But it all worked out so no complaints!!! And now I am getting so many nice comments from new people on my book, it makes me happy that I am inspiring others to go down this path....

I feel like my post op appointments are a complete waste of time. I think basically I am there for their stats. I have never received any useful information from my doc's nutritionist. I met with her 1x pre-surgery with about 5 other pre-surgery peeps and she went over the pre and post surgery diets. She spoke in absolutes and generalities. "Everyone craves shrimp, no one can eat eggs" blah, blah, blah.... I never craved shrimp and I eat a ton of eggs (mostly sans yolks to watch my cholesterol). Soooooo, thanks for the vent.

But here are my questions: do certain rules still apply almost 2 years post surgery? The rules I speak of are like: you can't use a straw, you can't drink anything effervescent, you can't chew gum, are these things still valid?

However, I must say because my nut was such an empty shell...I found this list serve and you peeps totally saved me. Immediately post surgery when I thought I had made the worst decision in my life, several of you gave me great advice, kindness, and understanding. And Syntrax (Fuzzy Navel!!!)-- which saved me when I was pretty sure that I would projectile vomit if I had to drink another chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry Protein shake.

I also read this off a post, I'm sorry I didn't copy the name of the person that wrote it but it has served me well:

Get Healthy
"Keep your carbohydrate intake low.
Stay hydrated.
Stick with an exercise routine by being specific about your goals.
Acknowledge and fix your mistakes.
Use the surgery as a tool.
Make one small change at a time.
Don’t be afraid to do something different.
Don’t get bored with what you are doing — change.
Enjoy the journey and the new you!"

So, thank you one and all members of this community and I wish you all a good and successful journey.