Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Sorry to anyone who has seen this cross-posted. I haven't gotten much response on the sleeve forum.

Long story short my surgeon has asked me to consider revising my sleeve (that I had a year ago) to bypass because of severe bile/acid reflux and newly developed Barrett's Esophagus. Has anyone on here gone through this? I'm feeling overwhelmed with a lot of decisions surrounding this.

Thanks in advance!

I am in the process of a revision from sleeve to RNY. I too have GERD and it has not yet had a major impact on my esophagus. I also have a large hiatel hernia and my sleeve is twisted. I loss very slow with sleeve and plateaued right before I got pregnant 11 months out. My sleeve is a bit stretched not much but he is worried that even resleeving and fixing hernia may not resolve my GERD , as well as, since I had such a difficult time losing with the sleeve that I may not reach a desired weight 2nd go round. I had my original surgery with a different surgeon.

I must admit, I was overwhelmed by it all. The decision, the process, another surgery, the emotional part of it. I am okay with it now after speaking with counselor and honestly I just want to feel better. I really hope the bypass is the answer to my GERD.

Thanks so much for your answer. It sounds like you have had some more challenging complications than I have- my concern is the amount of damage in such a short time and developing Barrett's. I'm 26 and I feel like there are a lot of years ahead of me for that damage to continue and possibly lead to cancer. I just can't figure out the right thing to do. An added issue is that I'm currently working out of the country and I will have to return to the US with a solid plan of being scheduled for bypass if I go through it. It really is helpful to hear from you. Do you have an idea of when you're doing the revision? Have you tackled the insurance element yet? Wishing you the best!

Thanks so much for your answer. It sounds like you have had some more challenging complications than I have- my concern is the amount of damage in such a short time and developing Barrett's. I'm 26 and I feel like there are a lot of years ahead of me for that damage to continue and possibly lead to cancer. I just can't figure out the right thing to do. An added issue is that I'm currently working out of the country and I will have to return to the US with a solid plan of being scheduled for bypass if I go through it. It really is helpful to hear from you. Do you have an idea of when you're doing the revision? Have you tackled the insurance element yet? Wishing you the best!

I can understand you concern with the Barrett's Esophagus. I was worried that I would have damage as well. I hope you can come to a quick solution.

I am currently working on meeting all the insurance requirements. My best guess is that I will have surgery in late Sept, early October. I actually lived abroad for my first surgery. My surgery team was great. Follow-up care great. For me, I think bypass would have been the best option initially.

Are you nervous about having the bypass? There are several posts about people revising due to GERD and/or Barrett's.

What insurance due u have?

I am definitely worried about having bypass. The primary reason (besides all of the other normal ones about complications and recovery) is that I work in South Africa and there is both little medical support for this type of surgery, and I also know it is going to make eating much more difficult. I travel very frequently to other African countries for work which means eating out, sometimes with co-workers and sometimes solo.

It has been quite the challenge even navigating this with my fully healed sleeve because portion sizes are massive and it's more frowned upon not to finish your food here than in the States. I end up getting take away boxes and throwing food out which is less than ideal. I also just worry because I'm so far from family if something goes wrong in those initial few months that I would be back.

I can't decide what to do. My Barrett's developed so quickly (I had no reflux pre surgery) and I feel like having the revision is so drastic, but I also feel extremely alarmed by how rapidly I developed these symptoms.

I have Cigna insurance which fortunately seems to cover Bariatric surgery and revisions. I'm in the process of trying to speak to a surgeon where my parents live, but it's challenging because I would need to coordinate most of this from abroad so that when I return I could have the surgery quickly so I wasn't away from my job for too long.

Sorry for the long response it's just a lot to think about and I can't tell if I'm doing the right thing.

I totally understand. Living aboard and health care different than the US. I was fortunate to be somewhere that was advanced in WLS. I wish you the best of luck!

I had my sleeve April 17, 2014 and for the past year my reflux has grown increasingly worse. I have tried numerous medications which helped some but not near enough.do not eat for hours before bed and I also sleep with the head of the bed raised. This has not helped either. The middle of the night seems to be the absolute worse for me. I wake out of sleep coughing and chocking and ultimately vomiting. This happens nearly every night now. I went for my 1 year follow-up on Wednesday, 7/15/2015 and my surgeon has agreed that it is time to move forward with the Bypass. I am so excited and scared all at the same time. I am not very patient and I just really want to know if the insurance is going to approve it. Knowing that relief is in sight is wonderful but I am going to be so upset if it does not get approved. I have tried not to think about it but it is hard not to.