Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a year out and while I can tolerate most things I try to be careful in what I eat. I do occasionally have a piece of pizza or a piece of cake,but not part of regular diet. I do eat some ice cream,but have found a high Protein, high Fiber, 80 calorie substitute that satisfies and that is about my only regular splurge.

I am more than 2 and a half years post op, have lost 145 pounds, and maintained it for a year and a half. The short answer to your question is that my success has been due changing both the way I think and how I eat. I'd be lying if I said I don't want refined sugars and processed carbs. I do want them sometimes, and once in a while I will have them, but as a rule, I follow the Bariatric Eating plan.

I am not a person who can eat all things in moderation. Just a little indiscretion will cause me to gain. I can do a lot of damage in one meal. The greatest piece of advice I can give a new sleever is to follow the Bariatric Eating rules and determine what works for you - and then do it. All day, every day. It requires dedication and hard work, both physically and mentally.

At this point my sleeve does not offer enough restriction to maintain my weight. It most certainly still helps (keeps me from eating huge amounts at once) but it does not keep me from grazing and it does not keep me from consuming caloric dense foods - I do that. The longer time goes on, the more I realize how fragile this current state of success is for me. I always feel like I'm one bad choice away from 300 pounds because it's as much a mental issue as a physical one. Now that I've gotten a taste of what it's like to be thin and normal, I don't EVER want to go back, so I pay close attention to what I'm doing to stay here.

Your limitations will change a lot after WLS and will continue to change a lot.

What you can eat / tolerate at 1 month post-op is completely different than what your limitations will be at 3 months or 6 months or 12 months post-op.

I'm 11 months post-op, am now slightly below goal, and have been working at maintaining for the last 2.5 months. Just like the various weight loss phases, maintenance has its own new phases, which you'll have to explore and learn from when you get there.

Some people a few years out still have a lot of stomach restriction, others don't. Likewise, several years out different patients' hunger levels vary considerably -- from person to person and even day to day, they report.

But the first year (and probably longer) is certainly a time when most patients' hunger levels and stomach capacities are much more conducive to weight loss than they were pre-op or will be several years down the line.

I hear from so many people here that our long-term weight maintenance and success depends on our having learned and practiced new eating / exercise behaviors so that they become automatic and our new lifestyle. Eventually, we have to learn to LIVE and EAT and EXERCISE like "skinny people." :)

And that is so much easier to do when you're already skinny. A helluva lot easier!

My one year was 7/14/15. I still struggle with indigestion no matter what I eat. I can eat more than I could at 3 mos, 5, mos, 8 mos, etc but not much more.

Like everyone else mentioned, eating Protein first will fill you up and keep you satiated and won't leave much room for everything else. I do taste here and there but I don't imbibe in the the breads and sweets I used to live off of. Those are my trigger foods and although they don't sit right with me anymore, the struggle is real and I know I could lose all control!

I can tell you that while the sleeve helps, this whole experience is mind over matter. It gets easier because you've changed your lifestyle and make time for your health. So long as you invest in your well being you'll be ok!

I am almost 3 months post-op and I try to eat healthy most of the time. My sleeve only likes a few bites of dense Protein at a time, if I overeat, I will get sick. We were on vacation this past week with friends and each night we took turns either cooking or ordering out so I didn't have any control over a couple of the meals I ate. No one knows I have had surgery so my husband picks off of my plate to make it look like I eat more than I do. One night we had pizza which I used to love but haven't had since surgery. I took a few bites and practically had to run for the bathroom (it all came back up). Pizza is definitely something I can't eat and don't care to try again! I think that anything greasy will not agree with me which is fine because I don't need to be eating it anyway, lol!

@@tomi71 - I totally agree with you as a "newbie" I feel you have hit the nail on the head. I am about 10 weeks out....

Hi I am six months out and often wondered the same questions.

Well here goes... EVERYONE'S body is different, some people tolerate some foods better then others, that said:

I can basically eat anything (roast beef a little tough to get down) but I treat myself to an M\M or 1/4 candy bar once in a while, I try not to deprive myself altogether but when I do treat it is AFTER I have eaten my Protein and then veggies.

Have I dabbled in potato chips, yes, ate some a lot less then I used to!!!

The key is remember why we had the surgery and if you do eat 'something' that we shouldn't have... Forget it and don't beat yourself up, get back on track the very NEXT meal, not tomorrow, next meal.

Guilt goes along way if you let it, remember we are all human, your stomach/sleeve is new and we are all on a journey for a healthier hopefully happier life.

now, let me get off my soapbox.

- m

@@ShrinkingPeach Now for dinner, I am having 3 Reeses Pieces, 1 Margharita and half a slice of Chicago Deep pizza......LOL

Bahaha, I would rather have a couple Margaritas and forget the reeses pieces!

I am 7 weeks out and I have eaten more fresh veggies in the past 5 weeks than I have in 2 or 3 years prior to surgery.

I have found that some of the foods I used to love taste terrible now. We were at a church picnic last Sunday and I had one Lay's potato chip. It tasted like crap and I had no desire to have another one. I had a bite of my son's ice cream and it was really nasty and over the top sweet.

Prior to surgery I hated sugar free fudgesicles and now I love them. I think I have zucchini coming out my ears. I've always been a big meat eater and now a good medium rare filet mignon is way better than candy.

I'm really bad - I went to the grocery store the other day and bought a small filet mignon for me and grilled it for lunch. The rest of the family was gone so they didn't get any!

After the first year, I found there really wasn't anything I could no longer tolerate. I'll be 2 years in October, in maintenance for well over 1 year and eat what many would consider "really badly" some of the time. By that, I mean, pizza, beer, dingdongs, (not all at once)! What I've learned to do is moderate and not over eat most of the time. I exercise regularly, cardo and a bit of strength training. It helps me do the things I want to do on a daily basis, (like ride an 850 pound motorcycle) and keeps my metabolism in gear. If the weight creeps up, I adjust till it's off. I still do at least one Protein supplement per day, sometimes 2 and put Protein first most of the time. Occasionally I do something stupid, (over eat or eat WAY too much sugar) and my sleeve rebels, but that's kind of what I paid for when I let them cut out 90% of my stomach, huh? It's what gets me back on track if I'm headed too far off. It's a balancing act. Definitely.

Hello

I was very happy to find this forum.

I wanted to ask people who have been though it, what are the everyday limitations they experience?

What food can you never tolerate again? is there some food that you cant tolerate at first but with time you can? And most importantly, I wanted to ask if you really changed the way u think about food as they say you should and completely started to eat healthy or can u still eat the things u like just in really small portions? I realize what the official medical recommendations are, but I wanted to know from real life people who have been through it.

Thanks so much anything will be helpful

10 mths out and I have the stomach made of steel. There is no food I was eating pre-op that I can't eat now. However the amount I can eat have changed and because I value my health I take care with the choices I make. Do I have occasional treats? Yes, but my definition of occasional has changed. I have found I can eat a bite of cake and be satisfied. I have some guidelines. The main one is I bring nothing in the house that I cannot have around without binging. I am one of those who needs to keep a food diary. Not everyone does, but I'd recommend newbies keep one pre-op and at least a few months post op. I also plan for my indulgences. I have an active social life and I eat out a lot. I plan for those days and adjust the rest of my eating day accordingly.

Because I am vegetarian a lot of my Proteins also come with carbs. Those carbs I do not worry about. I try to have most of my carbs in the mornings or afternoon when I am most active. I avoid most "white carbs" Things like Pasta, bread, crackers, white rice and refined sugars. I am allergic to artificial sweeteners so I use raw honey. I am careful to use it sparingly.

There really is no one size fits all approach. Being successful takes being honest with your self and changing your relationship with food. It can no longer be your friend and source of comfort. Each day I work at eating well and getting in some form of physical activity. EVERY. DAY. The difference is I am happy and satisfied with eating very smalls meals. I enjoy going to the gym. Most of all I enjoy feeling healthier than I have in years.