Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill this morning-restriction at last!!!

I got the first adjustment of my band this morning, about six weeks post-op. I had no restriction whatsoever after the swelling from the surgery went down, and I could eat normal portions with no consequences, even bread, rice, and stuff that causes problems for some. We started at 4cc in the 10cc band.

I had difficulty just sipping Water right after the fill at the office without burping or getting hiccups, but the nurse said as long as there was no nausea I'd probably be OK. I've been able to get down about 48 oz. of water and juice today (Clear liquids for 2 days) and it seems to be getting easier, but still a LOT of burping and some hiccups. Is this normal after the first fill? I'm hoping not to have an "unfill", because I really like the idea of restriction. Your experiences would be appreciated.

All I know is that after the post-op diet, which was five weeks, I could eat anything I wanted with no consequences. I had very little pain after three weeks post-op, so I'm guessing most of the swelling was gone by then. Hope that answers your question.

Hi,

Mine is tommorow, and I, like you have had not much of a restriction either...I hope it gets easier for you...I am anxious to see how mine goes...did it hurt???

How much have you lost since surgery? I keep fluctating, but I KNOW it is my portions...they are like they use to be...I started at 322, than week before was 313.6...I am jumping back and forth between 291-297??? What the heck is up with that???

I started exercising last week, and have walked 8 miles so far this week. It is hot and humid and I am walking at lunch...I just want to see some changes already!!!!!!

Oh well......best of luck....keep me posted how you are doing.

:eek:

The only discomfort from the fill was that after the syringe was inserted (mosquito bite) he had to keep manipulating the syringe while he was pressing on my belly trying to make sure he had the port. Not really pain, just pressure.

Don't put too much faith in the accuracy of home scales-mine is relative expensive but it fluctuates wildly also, so I don't really pay attention to it. I consider my official scale the one at the surgeon's office. It says I've lost 20 lbs. Most of that was the pre-op diet. Good luck.

Thanks....I know they fluctuate, and I should not get down...it is just hard when you are working so hard at it.

I go at 230 today for the fill....I am excited.

Thanks for the support....

Hi Hoosierpoms,

How did your first fill go? I'm scheduled for my first on Monday 7/16, and I'm a little nervous. Right now I can eat anything & too much without any discomfort. But I've heard stories about not being able to even drink after a fill, that some people get tighter after they leave the dr. office.

Thanks for any info!

Hi, I was banded on 5/24/07. I got my first fill on 6/10/07. It tokk him four tries before he found the spot, but it was not painful at all. Afterwards felt sick to my stomach, for about an hour. The resrtiction is a beautifull thing. I burp like crazy, but it is working. I need to eat slower, my chewing is fine. I can not eat bread. The thought of it makes me sick. I don't know why? But I am going to run with it. I also had 4cc at my fill on a 10cc band. I only hope this continues. I am scared to death of failure.

:whoo:

Hi Hoosierpoms,

How did your first fill go? I'm scheduled for my first on Monday 7/16, and I'm a little nervous. Right now I can eat anything & too much without any discomfort. But I've heard stories about not being able to even drink after a fill, that some people get tighter after they leave the dr. office.

Thanks for any info!

Hey Lisa,

Congratulations on your band, I really think you are doing well especially with your weight loss, what did you eat after surgery up untill now if you dont mind me asking. I will banded on this Monday 7/16 and very excited but very nervous. The pre-opt diet was very hard the first week but got a little easier this week.:clap2:

Hi Sunshinesonya!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

After I was banded, I was on full liquids for 2 wks, then pureed for 2 wks, then soft for 2 wks before going to a regular diet. Yogurt and pudding counts as a full liquid. I enjoyed lots of juices with Protein powder (Any Whey), and also added Protein Powder to Jello and pudding. You can add Protein Powder to broth and Soup (strained) but it's best to add the powder AFTER heating the liquid, it mixes better.

I was SO happy to get to pureed stage, feeling really hungry for food by then! Spaghetti w/meat sauce, chicken pureed w/milk, salt & pepper, pureed sloppy joe, even roast beef w/broth was delicious! I didn't have a lot of room for anything but the Protein, it was helpful to drink milk in between meals to keep your protein count up. By the time I got to the soft diet, I was eating anything (without hard/crispy pieces) but very slowly until I knew what I could tolerate. (which has been anything!)

I'm doing great with exercise, but my breakfast/lunch this morning was 2 scrambled eggs and 2 pcs toast. This is WAY more than you should be able to eat with the band, and I worry a little bit that I could be stretching out my pouch. But I have NO discomfort after eating, I will just have to cut way back and eat much more slowly after the fill.

The nurse and the dietitian told me that eggs can be a problem for people with the band, I guess because they just get mushed down and not really chewed to pieces? So far I haven't had any trouble, but this could change after the fill. Also, they said to watch out for grapes because of the skins, and of course breads. The one item that I did notice feeling some fullness with was chicken breast or beef. So when you do eat, just take small bites, maybe even with a baby spoon/fork, and chew, chew, chew. Your meals should last no less than 20 minutes.

Also, after your surgery your stomach/pouch will be swollen so you need to take it easy with liquids, too. I was told 1/2 cup liquids should take me a half hour to drink. In the beginning, I was lucky to get a 1/4 in 15 minutes. For healing and to keep blood sugars stable, be sure you're mixing protein in with your juices/broths. Do you have a protein source and lots of soups/liquids stocked up?

Good luck on Monday! Let me know how you're doing!

Take care,

Lisa

Hi AnnaMC,

Did the thought of bread make you sick ever since your surgery, or just since your fill? Did you get "tighter" after the fill?

Thanks,

Lisa

LISA0552

i AM DOING OK....DONT BE NERVOUS ABOUT THE FILL...IT REALLY IS NOT THAT PAINFUL IT JUST FEELS WEIRD....

I AM READY FOR MY NEXT ONE...I CAN TELL.....I CAN EAT WAY TOO MUCH AT A TIME, AND I KNOW THAT IS WHAT HAS STALLED MY WEIGHT LOSS THIS WEEK.

I HAVE BEEN BIKING NOW OR WALKING, AND AM GOING TO RIDE IN A 21 MILE RIDE ON AUGUST 5...I REALLY NEED TO GET READY FOR THAT....RIGHT NOW I AM AVERAGING ABOUT 12 MILES AN HOUR AND WE WENT 10.25 MILES THIS MORNING.

I HAVE BEEN WALKING 2-2.5 MILES AT lunch AN THAN EITHER RIDING AT NIGHT OR WALKING...I THINK I SKIPPED ONE NIGHT THIS WEEK...

SO, HOPEFULLY AFTER THE 26TH AND I GET MY SECOND FILL, IT WILL START COMING OFF AGAIN.

LET ME KNOW HOW MONDAY GOES.......AND REMEMBER TO FOLLOW DOCTORS ORDERS ABOUT WHAT YOU EAT AFTER....

TRACI

I am going in for my fill on Thursday and am leaving for vacation on Saturday...I hope that isn't a mistake. I really need a fill. This past weekend I have been eating like before the band and I have gained back 3 pounds...how depressing! I am eager for restriction as well!

I am going in for my first fill on July 31th. I will be attending my class reunion on August 3rd. When you have a fill, are you on liquids for two days? I will be meeting with my dietician on July 30th, so I am sure we will work out a plan, but I want to make sure and prepare so I do not cheat too much at reunion. I also do not want to be PBing either. :o

NDPrairieLover you and i are getting our first fill on the same date. My surgery was 6/28. I am eating pretty much like normal except i haven't tried solid meats yet. I know I can eat a lot more quanity than right after my surgery. I guess it is normal to go back to an almost before surgery eating pattern until the first fill. I am a little apprehensive about the whole thing. I had a lot of post-op gas and discomfort. I hope the fill isn't like that....and the thought of PBing is so distasteful to me..yuck....hope i can avoid it.