Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this too optimistic?

I'll be having surgery on a Friday and returning home on Monday. Is it too enthusiastic/optimistic to think I can return to work on Tuesday?

I have a desk job, I'm not tied down to it, I can get up and walk around as I need. I will be using most of my PTO for a family gathering earlier in the month so I'm trying to miss as little work as possible.

As far as my employer is concerned they know I'm having "a surgery" but not what is being done as I feel that it's personal and doesn't need to be discussed.

that is what I did. Only told employer off-handedly that while I was off the Wed-Fri & following week on vacation that I was having elective surgery. I wasnt going to tell them anything but dr office wanted FMLA paperwork and that started the questions. I had surgery Wednesday (first in!) and went home Thursday evening. I was sleepy Friday. I didn't get much sleep because of the nurses checking on me Wednesday night so I enjoyed sleeping in Friday morning. I couldve been back at work Monday. I have a desk job where I can get up and walk if needed and my co-worker is awesome and he knew the whole story. he said, "don't lift, I got it!"

I wouldn't have been able to, but I have seen others here do similar things.

I wouldn't have been able to either. Just took me awhile to get with it. I had no pain - just trying to get food in and keep energy up. I was in the hospital for 3 day - so it really depends....which I know that answer doesn't help much:)

i was out for 5 working days, and the two weekends sandwiched around that. the problem isnt the incisions, its the fact you wont have any energy and your constanly trying to figure out how to drink etc. remember your diet and etc.

Thank you all for your insight, I think at this point I'm going to play it by ear. If I feel I can't handle work after surgery I'll just let me boss know that I need a few extra days to recover.

I had off 2 weeks. However, I probably could have gone back that quickly. However, I sometimes think I had the easiest recovery from sleeve/hernia surgery in history. I had no gas pains, I had lots of energy and was getting bored, I napped only the first couple of days, my sleeve has never had an issue with anything.

My pain level was initially that of having done WAY, WAY too many sit-ups and quickly faded to did too many sit-ups. Things would stiffen up and initially getting out of bed or chair was tight but the more I moved/walked the quicker the tightness went away.

The big reason I did not go back sooner was I have an hour drive to work. So 2 hour round trip, 1 hour lunch, 8 hour day equals 11 hours. That is a really long day and a long way from home if I do crash. Plus I have 100% pay for disability for like 26 weeks. I pay for it so I figured I would use it.

My doc told me 2 weeks off. I worked from home at the time, so I did work on Monday (after Thursday surgery) but I had severe post-op brain fog and wasn't too productive the first few days. But I was able to lie down and rest when I needed to. Had I had to drive to work, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

I have a less than one mile commute to work. And a nice break room if I need to lay down. I'll take it each day as it comes and do what my body tells me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches