Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

With the band you only lose x lbs. Why?

hi,DBAguy,I saw your post, and noticed that you got banded in mid may, and now we are at the end of june...did you lose 50 plus pounds, in that short of time?:omg:

please share the info if you can about the diet plan you are following at this time. I am struggling and need to rev up my action.

I think that it really depends on the diet plan that goes with this. My Dr. has a really strict plan that goes with it. I think I will have a good sucesss If I stick with his plan!! He said that 70-90% in one year but, he has a really strict diet plan. If you want me to share it with you I can. Good Luck. You will loose more with by-pass becasue they by-pass a lot of your small intestine so the nutrition can not absorbe. With the band you can still absorb everything you put in you and digest it, that's why the diet is so important with the band. Good Luck

I am being banded on July 11th and would love to see your Doctor's diet plan. Please e mail it to me at dovercomm1@aol.com.

Thank You,

Michele

Lol, I was both. I ate too much at mealtime and snacked heavily too.

And yes, the lapband has done very little to curb the snacking, I've had to do that myself, it will be a habit I always always have to resist but with practice, you do get better at resisting.

And of course, a snack now is small compared to large before.

Jody:

Lots of good info here. I hope you realize there are many sucessful people with the band.

You are 300 now and say you would not be satisfied to loose just 75 pounds. Think again. I dont know your BMI but I bet that 75 pounds would make the difference between being a walking time bomb vs leading a normal quality life. If you go from 300 to 225 you are a winner...

I've lost 58 lbs, including the 23 I lost before surgery. The band has, I think, given me some restriction without a fill ( I get my first fill next week), but I think the decision to get the surgery, and the factors leading up to the decision to get the surgery, have all combined to give me more 'mental' strength than I had before...this may be the greater effect right now.

Since I went on 'mush' food after surgery, and continuing with solid food now, I only eat 4 - 5 oz. of food per meal, and don't snack at all in between (snacking was never a big deal for me).

That's a major change from eating (for example) a Wendy's bacon cheeseburger AND a grilled stuft burrito AND two chalupas for lunch.

I also completely removed caffeine - I used to have two 20 oz. coffees with 4 shots of espresso each, and 4 or 5 diet Mountain Dews each day. Now, I drink only Isopure Protein drink, an occasional Decaf coffee, soy milk, and Water. I've been told that caffeine is an appetite stimulant, so i wanted to get away from it.

thanks for the reply..you are a motivation for me. I too, dont snack, but just eat to much at meal time. Starbucks, is going to be a tough one for me, but I have

realized that the 'mental' strength, is just as important as the band , in reducing one's weight.

keep up the good work.

peace..KEN

Not sure who you're asking - I never was on one meal/day. I eat three meals/day, 2-3 oz. of Protein and 2-3 oz. of fruit or veggie per meal. I've kept to that regimen for both mushie food and solid food. This includes going to a restaurant, ordering an appetizer (like boneless wings or quesadilla) and only eating a portion of it, taking the rest home, and eating for other meals.

I do this because my surgeon/nutrionists told me that I should expect to be able to only eat that much once I have restriction in place, and I didn't want to have to make a sudden mental shift to reduce what I ate...also, didn't want to experience much in the way of vomiting or 'PBs' once I had restriction in place.

I also take 60 - 80 grams of Protein, through Isopure pre-mixed drinks, soy milk, and Protein powder.

Hi Jody,

I went for my consultation last Tues. and my Dr. said I could lose as much as I want and that he would let me know when I had lost too much. He said that I wold lose slower but that one could lose all excess if you want.