Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose your doctor?

Question.,,, it seems that a lot of people that are on here seem to have had some real problems with the band... As many have revisions

If you eat well and take care of yourself you can lose a lot of weight right? You shouldn't reach a plateau?

My surgeon thinks the band is great yet complications happen when you push the boundaries with your band how long does it take to realise the difference between physical hunger and emotional hunger? Having a band do you need to take any additional multi Vitamins? I'm scared I won't no how to control myself with portions and eating the right foods don't want to make myself ill.

Question.,,, it seems that a lot of people that are on here seem to have had some real problems with the band... As many have revisions

If you eat well and take care of yourself you can lose a lot of weight right? You shouldn't reach a plateau?

My surgeon thinks the band is great yet complications happen when you push the boundaries with your band how long does it take to realise the difference between physical hunger and emotional hunger? Having a band do you need to take any additional multi Vitamins? I'm scared I won't no how to control myself with portions and eating the right foods don't want to make myself ill.

You'll be on a Multivitamin and Calcium supplement. Your band will restrict your eating. You'll notice quickly that you can only eat smaller portions.

When you first get the band, your stomach will need to heal. You will not get your first full until almost 6 weeks out. The band helps you to control your portions. Preplan your food the night before so you don't get too hungry and get off plan.

The band is a tool to help you lose weight. Most of it is up to you. It's not a magic fix. It will help you from over eating, and eating healthy portions. Your Nut will help you make healthy choices. Preparation is everything!

Emotional hunger is always going to be a problem for people that struggle with their weight. I walk when I feel like I want to eat out of boredom. Keep a food diary, and prepare your menu in advance and you will succeed! Best of luck!

Bands do not work that well, too many complications. If you only need to lose 40 to 50 lbs then go for it. They are not meant to stay in long term either. If the sleeve had been approved when I had my band in, I would have gone with the sleeve!

Glad that your is working fine. Wait 4 years down the road, and see if you feel the same. More bands are being removed, than installed these days.

I hope you're a rare case, and yours functions well forever! Mine slipped, and was causing major pain. Best of luck!

Just following the rules, but since your post was addressed to me,..... "These guidelines do NOT forbid disagreement and candid discussions on BariatricPal. Members may discuss and defend their points of view in respectful manners. "

I suppose we can just agree to disagree, because I do not agree with your opinion.

My band has worked to perfection! Just like it was intended to. I lost 130 pounds with my band. I have had it for 6 years in September. My surgeon, who is an expert, seems to think bands are long term....maybe you've got better info?

And I don't consider myself a rare success. I personally know people who've had their bands in for over 10 years...I played golf with one weekend before last. He just did a 10 year checkup..."everything looks perfect".

PS...I enjoy going back and reading people's post from years back....kinda gives a different perspective sometimes. ;)

Best wishes TO ALL!

I wasn't trying to single you out......just didn't like the direction this topic was taking.

Here's how I chose my surgeon.

I saw two different ones, one close to me and one about 40 minutes away.

The one closer to me (which wouldv'e been more convenient) seemed to keep trying to steer me away from the band. I felt like I was consistently justifying my decision of the band vs. RNY

His NP (who does fills) was obnoxious as well. She really turned me off!

The second surgeon, the one farther out, ONLY does lapbands. He seemed to TRULY beleive in them and believe in me as well. I just got a better feeling from him, which is why I ultimately chose him.

Sometimes you just have to trust your gut... Even if it means choosing an MD thats further away.

Ironically, its 3 years later and I use the surgeon closer to me (the one who I met with but didn't choose) to get fills. I will NOT use his NP

PS

3 years later I do wish I wouldn't have done the lapband, but thankfully I am having no serious complications (Heartburn, that's all)

Edited by Lapbandster

PS

3 years later I do wish I wouldn't have done the lapband, but thankfully I am having no serious complications (Heartburn, that's all)

Can I ask why you wish you wouldn't have done the lapband? 3 years and no serious complications is great!

Have you lost a lot of weight with the band? What would be the alternative method if you could choose again?

I know it's hard work in the beginning but hopefully rewarding in the end...hopefully

Hey there!

PS

Can I ask why you wish you wouldn't have done the lapband? 3 years and no serious complications is great!

Have you lost a lot of weight with the band? What would be the alternative method if you could choose again?

I know it's hard work in the beginning but hopefully rewarding in the end...hopefully

Well to be entirely honest I wish I hadn't done it because it never worked for me.

Did I lose weight? Yeah! I did! BUT If i was entirely honest with myself, the weightloss had nothing to do with the band, other than being a constant mental reminder that I better get my act together.

Got my band 3 years ago and went for fills, never felt restriction, everything went down- Except for the rare time that something would just get totally STUCK and I would be in literal agony until it came up. 2 years ago I started having heartburn and my surgeon got very nervous. He unfilled my band and took xrays. Everything looked and he sent me on my way. It was sad for me to have no restriction AND be told I was too tight!

After that I got one or two tiny fills and, but while I still didn't have restriction, I was scared of being more aggressive with fills because i was afraid of it becoming too tight. (which is dangerous, as we all know)

Suddenly last week I started feeling heartburn AGAIN, out of the blue!! I was so sad! I ran to my surgeon and he unfilled me a little bit and had me chug 12 ounces of Water. The Water went down just fine and I went home... but now I'm still having heartburn and i'm so sad

Sad that I never hit that "sweet spot" that i've read so much about

Sad that everytime I travel (which is about once a month) I am terrified that my band will tighten up and i'll be alone and screwed (actually, when the heartburn started and i was told it was too tight I was lucky I was home because I was supposed to be out of town at that time)
Sad that everytime I read about a lapband removal it is usually accompanied by a horrifying story. (permanent esophagus damage, scar tissue, etc)

BUT-

I am happy I am still down 50 lbs. (at my lowest i was down nearly 70 lbs) I cannot even IMAGINE where I would be without having lost the weight. I would probably be 300 lbs by now- and i'm only 5'2!!

And I am trying hard to TRULY not live with ANY regrets!!!

So would I recommend the band? not necessarily, but I cannot go back in time, so no point in regretting getting it :)

BTW the reason i'm questioning removal is because if it's not doing it's job anyways, why keep it? Long term there are potential complications that could really compromise my health, so i figure why not just take it out when i'm healthy, BEFORE it becomes an emergency (i'm only saying this because as stated above, i just simply have no benefits from it)

Edited by Lapbandster

I chose my surgical center because it's nearby, uses a reputable hospital and had friends who uses it. After attending the initial presentation , I was assigned a surgeon. I had the option to switch surgeons but after meeting with him I decided to keep him. I'm being banded Aug. 4th!