Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Hey ringo.

I don't think you should cancel either, but what about postponing? Even just until January?

I think the pre-op diet is meant to shrink your liver so the surgery can be performed. It sounds like you have enough time to get back on track but if you don't, I worry that you are putting yourself at risk :(

I identify with food being your drug of choice. I am in the same boat. Just before I logged on, I was reading the 12x12 for OA. I am choosing to use this (along with my other supports) to help deal with the emotional, psychological and behavioral changes I will experience during this process.

I also identify with sudden loss and having a lot of responsibilities. The surgery could be a welcome distraction but on the other hand if you haven't given yourself enough time to grieve, it might be extremely difficult to do that as well as cope with losing your "drug". I don't know how strong your addiction is but I assume we will go through some sort of grieving process since we won't be able to "use" food after surgery. Only you know for sure whether now is the right time or not. But just know that you have support here :)

I was being considered for surgery here (in Canada - which means 100% covered) a couple years ago and about a month before my date, my surgeon pulled the plug. He said I wasn't ready. He didn't say I couldn't have it...he just said I wasn't ready at that time. I was devastated but he was right. I wanted to be ready, but I just wasn't. Looking back, I'm grateful for what he did, but at the time I was crushed. Now I am 100% ready now and feel much different. I know it is time. And it sounds like it's time for you too but...if it's not, it's ok to postpone for a few weeks or months.

Long ramble...just wanted you to know that I related to what you wrote, and am here to support :)

Respectfully,

A surgery sistah.

See I knew you guys would have encouraging words! Health bound, I think you hit the point I am stressing about and that's my concern over losing my "drug". That's the part that worries me... As for the liver shrinking bit, I'm hoping that this isn't an issue bc of my lower BMI. The pre op instructions given to me basically said 2-days of liquids... I think it said I could "try and lose a few lbs". Of course, I doubt the OCC would approve of my lasagna and baked ziti fast... Apparently when people die, the only thing others know how to do is bake Italian food.

I'm hesitant to reschedule because I feel like like that's admitting defeat. Plus, even though my circumstances aren't ideal, I do have someone else around right now who can help me out with kids. Mouse, you are right... They should help me out.... And they're willing to. I wonder if I wait till January, if they will be so eager.

Anyway. Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

Has anyone tried to get copies of their medical records from the OCC post surgery? I am having no luck in getting an actual answer, and I am having some pain issues that won't go away. My local Dr insists on seeing the records but won't contact the OCC directly, saying I must, but I'm getting the run-around. Would love to hear from others who have received their copy or tried. Thanks!

Vetniemeer, did you ever figure out your pain issues? How are you feeling now? Hope both you and your mom are doing well.

Ringo - this is my best pep talk...

I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, your ex, your sister. You have a LOT going on right now. Is the timing "perfect" to get your sleeve? Probably not. (I'm not sure what a "perfect" time is really.) So, my question to you...what do you GAIN by rescheduling? There is always going to be something going on. If you are already missing work, then big deal, what is a little bit more?

You said your BMI is "only" 33. And you are lucky. But that is your BMI today. Will your BMI be 34 next year? Or 35 the year after? You are a young woman with your whole life in front of you. Take charge. Make it your BEST life.

It's clear you are a woman who can get things done and you are a rock for many...smart enough to let an ex go who cannot give you what you need. Your sister is coming to you, the rock for support. I know you will find care for your kids the days that you are in Tijuana recovering from surgery, because you are clearly a woman who makes things happen.

Now. Put on your big girl panties. Decide you are going to KICK ASS on your pre-op diet. No excuses. Once you get your mind right, become determined, ferocious, powerful and focused you can achieve ANYTHING you set your mind to. This is all in your head. It's a mental game to "win" on your pre-op diet. Make a meal by meal choice (or hour by hour choice) to stick with your pre-op program and kick the crap out of your pre-op diet. Go into surgery feeling like a success! All the little choices add up to BIG success. Set yourself up for success by shrinking your liver for a safe surgery. You are in the home stretch before your sleeve. YOU CAN DO THIS!

I'm cheering for you here in HoosierLand! Keep us updated on your progress...we are here and want to watch you succeed! Go my sister and MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Edited by HoosierGirl

See I knew you guys would have encouraging words! Health bound' date=' I think you hit the point I am stressing about and that's my concern over losing my "drug". That's the part that worries me... As for the liver shrinking bit, I'm hoping that this isn't an issue bc of my lower BMI. The pre op instructions given to me basically said 2-days of liquids... I think it said I could "try and lose a few lbs". Of course, I doubt the OCC would approve of my lasagna and baked ziti fast... Apparently when people die, the only thing others know how to do is bake Italian food. I'm hesitant to reschedule because I feel like like that's admitting defeat. Plus, even though my circumstances aren't ideal, I do have someone else around right now who can help me out with kids. Mouse, you are right... They should help me out.... And they're willing to. I wonder if I wait till January, if they will be so eager. Anyway. Thanks again. You guys are awesome.[/quote'] You are awesome too. While I'm sure Lucia Dr. Ortiz and Martinez would frown upon your lasagna/ziti "fast", fact of the matter is you do have a lower BMI. My preop diet was specific to my BMI and it sounds like yours is too. Of course you shouldn't be gaining, but if you feel the time is right (and only you truly know if you are ready for this), then go for it. You've seen my posts-the hardest part for me was toward the end of the full liquid diet because I was completely over the shakes. I did advance my diet a day early but I did not cheat and go eat pizza or something I shouldn't because I was stressed, but it wasn't easy. You have additional stressors I don't have- I live alone and don't have children- you have people who will be eating around you during your postop period when you need to stick to the rules to heal properly. But in your own defense, you won't be so "over it" because your preop diet is not extensive, so that factor is good. I had to do shakes for 5-6 weeks- can you imagine? 16 days seems like nothing (paperwork says 17 but surgery day is included). Think about it and let us know what you decide. {)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

Edited by back2barb78

I love all this awesome support!!!! It's empowering me too :)

Soooooooo.....

I now have a confirmed date of Dec.4 with Dr Oritz!!!!!

SO excited!!!!

Yay - we can PM each other to replace "drug-food" with venting :)

I love all this awesome support!!!! It's empowering me too :)

Soooooooo.....

I now have a confirmed date of Dec.4 with Dr Oritz!!!!!

SO excited!!!!

HealthBound - let us know when you start your pre-op diet and we will start cheering you on. Very excited for you!

One thing that is hard to really judge pre op is how your tastes change after the operation.

I'm not very interested in sweet things now. So many of the drinks and shakes are sweet that I'm much more interested in savory things. The scrambled egg with a little cheese I had for my first real food tasted better than anything I could imagine.

I keep reminding everyone that I'm old. That and lower BMI seem to make me a slow loser. Three weeks on Monday and just 8 lbs down from the day of surgery. But 22 from before pre-op.

It's slow but I'm sure I will get where I want to be.

I will be having my band to sleeve revision surgery on November 21st with Dr. Ortiz. Starting my preop on Nov. 6th.

OK. So this might not be the right place for this post. But' date=' see - I've been following along with you guys for awhile and I honestly feel like you're a bunch of sisters to me. Even though I rarely (if at all) chime in. I just wanted to tell you guys what's going on with me - if for no other reason than to get emotional support. I'm scheduled for November 1st at the OCC. I'm nervous, but I'm also excited. The past few weeks doing pre-op diet have been ridiculously hard (food is my drug of choice, see below). My BMI is pretty low (33), so I don't technically have to lose a ton of weight - but my food addiction has been on overdrive and well, now here I am a week to go before my surgery and I've GAINED weight and haven't even remotely started doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Theres a reason for this behavior though.... I should also mention that a few weeks ago my 17-year old nephew, with whom I am very close died suddenly in a tragic way. My ex-husband, who I was sorta trying to rekindle with has chosen now (of all times) to turn back into a drunk and abandon me and my kids. I have no parents (only 36) and it's just me and my sister - who has been a crumbling mess. She is living with me now... and her fiancee and their baby. As if that weren't enough stress on me, I've missed a lot of work because of this death and now I am trying to get caught up before my trip. I could've cancelled or postponed. But I didn't. I didn't because I NEED THIS. I realize that stress level wise and eating wise this is a bad time in my life to do this. Logistically, I have two young boys that I have to figure out what to do with while I'm gone and I'm missing even MORE work. But you don't understand how incredibly long I've researched and saved and looked at message boards related to this surgery. I feel like this is my time. I NEED to do this. Plus, I feel like the time alone away from all this will be the best thing for me. Can anyone relate to this? Am I totally screwing myself up by not trying to cancel this? I mean, don't get me wrong - I'm NOT cancelling at this point. I just wanted to get some input on my pre-op eating being off the hook... input on my stress level and what my post-op will look like. And maybe just a few positive insights on feeling better about my anxiety levels. Thanks, guys.[/quote'] Ringo, I can totally relate! Barb and I have been talking a good bit through this, she and I are both nurses who pull 12 hour shifts and I have such a hard time losing weight I started the Enspira shakes a month in advance of my pre-op diet (not a good idea, because now I am sick of them and I haven't even started my real pre-op diet yet! - surgery scheduled for 11/29 at OCC). I was actually feeling like maybe I'd dropped a few pounds because my scrubs were fitting a little differently. Hopeful, I jumped on the scale only to find I have GAINED another 6 pounds!! On the shakes, I've gained more weight. I want to take my ink pen and jab it into my carotid...

I'm getting really depressed. I am a mom to 4 kids. My twin girls are college freshmen, and I'm trying to be supportive of them and help them as much as I can. It's expensive and exhausting though I love my baby girls. My son is 12 and is involved in sports, he's in the gifted program at school so we are constantly shelling out money for field trips and special events, and my youngest is 3 years old. Some days I am honestly too tired to chase her. My husband is only modestly helpful, because throughout our marriage I have done everything. So, he's never had to, and I've created a monster. It is taking an act of congress to get family involved in helping with the kids while I'm gone. I'm actually printing schedules to give to everyone so they'll know what's going on with their respective child each day that I'm gone to Mexico. That's precisely why I chose to have my surgery the week of Thanksgiving. It's easier on my family. I have contemplated canceling this surgery more than once. I am inconveniencing everyone, I know. But I'm sorry. For once, I NEED help... And I NEED this surgery. And I'm not looking back. You shouldn't either. If you need an extra sister, you've got one here honey!

So liquid diet sucks. I knew it would. My preop diet says I'm allowed 3 shakes a day, 64 oz of Water and I can have up to 4 pounds of steam green veggies per day.

Now I know it says I'm allowed, but I feel like the veggies are cheating in a way. Someone free my guilty conscious if I eat green food!

So liquid diet sucks. I knew it would. My preop diet says I'm allowed 3 shakes a day, 64 oz of Water and I can have up to 4 pounds of steam green veggies per day.

Now I know it says I'm allowed, but I feel like the veggies are cheating in a way. Someone free my guilty conscious if I eat green food!

MOTM,

There's no way eating leafy greens is cheating. Do a few days of just shakes. You'll want something crunchy after a while anyway :)

MOTM' date='

There's no way eating leafy greens is cheating. Do a few days of just shakes. You'll want something crunchy after a while anyway :)[/quote']

I just wanna masticate something! Haha