Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here and protein shake help needed

Hi! I'm new here. I live about an hour north-east of Dallas. I'm scheduled for banding on 6/28 with Dr. Richard Benavides at the Surgery Center of Richardson. I'm currently at 220 with a BMI of 34.5 and my goal is 140. I'm 5' 7". I have high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, PCOS, and am pretty sure I'm in the early stages of pre-diabetes because my morning blood sugar readings fluctuate into the 100s fairly often. My husband had this done several years ago and has NOT been successful with it but he is also one who refuses to do as the doctors' say. Good at taking his medicine but refuses to make lifestyle modifications even with all his health problems. I've learned a lot about what NOT to do from watching him.

I'm self-pay.

I'm excited about the surgery. There are just a few things that I'm nervous about.

1. the Protein Shakes. Because of my BMI I am only required to do one week pre-op of daily 2-3 Protein shakes and 1-2 meals with a serving of lean meat, all the green veggies I want, with one cup fruit. I don't know what I can do about the protein shakes. I have the option of Myocel (which I've heard is nasty) or Atkins shakes (I bought but could only get 3 sips down). I couldn't find powdered Atkins. I bought another shake mix that seemed to have similar nutritional values and was high protein and am hoping that mixing it with yogurt, skim milk and strawberries will make it tolerable.

I started low-carbing at the beginning of this week so I could kick the carb cravings before my official pre-op diet start date. That first day of low-carb was horrible. I'm in much better shape now with the cravings.

2. I'm a little worried about the liquid part of the diet as I have two weeks on that post-op. I also worry about PBing in front of my co-workers. I can handle that at home but in public...

Any advice on how to make protein shakes so they are more tolerable?

My dad who's a diabetic had the surgery 3 years ago. Since he was a diabetic, he was told to drink Glucerna for the liquid diet. When I got mine 2 months ago (I'm not a diabetic) he told me to get those because they were actually not half bad. I got them, and the chocolate flavored one (When cold) is actually pretty tasty. Good luck!

My doctor and nutritionist advised Slim-Fast/Low Carb. I only like the chocolate and have found blending it with ice helps "bulk" it up so I do not feel like I am getting nothing. I on the other hand only get 4 oz. of lean meat, no beef, and 1/2 cup vegetables for one meal. After reading several people's pre-ops, it is obvious there are many different versions. I think it is just what the doctor prefers, but I was told it had to be done for 14 days to help shrink liver to help surgery and recovery. It has been a challenge, but I am really trying hard to stick to it and my fear of surgery problems if I do not helps keep me motivated. Also, my nutritionist says you lose several pounds and that helps you go into the process feeling better about yourself already. For me, I am hoping for one clothes size before the surgery. Keeps me motivated.

EAS Advantage Carb Control - Is awesome - comes premixed and is cheap. 17 gr of protien, 2 net carbs and only 110 cals. chocolate Fudge is my fav but reg chocolate and vanilla are good too. Can get them at anywhere - Walmart too.

Hi! I'm also new here -- this is my first post. I'm currently on my pre-op diet and my doctor recommended Slim Fast Optima. I've been using the pre-made shakes and Rich chocolate, Cappuccino and Milk Chocolate are doable. After the first day, I had some digestion problems, so in speaking with the nutritionist, she said I could switch to Slim Fast easy digest, however, things cleared up after my body adjusted so I did not have to make the switch.

Good luck!

thisisforme,

I had surgery exactly 18 months ago today. I still drink at least one Protein Shake daily. I use Optimal Nutrition 100% whey gold standard in vanilla ice cream or double rich chocolate. I get in at GNC. I add SF pudding to thicken it and SF syrups to add flavor. Some of my favs are: choc. with toasted marshmallow syrup; choc. with raspberry syrup; choc. with Almond Roca syrup; choc. with Peanut Butter syrup; vanilla with banana cream pudding, pineapple and coconut syrup; vanilla with pistachio pudding; the combinations are endless. You can get SF syrups in so many flavors. Hope this helps you.

i Agree With Liberty. I Too Am Drinking The Unjury In chocolate Flavor. I Mix It With Organic Soy Milk, And It Tastes Great. It Doesn't Carry The After Taste, Or Mediciny Taste.

Please help me...you are the first banded member who has PCOS...so do I? How are you being treated for that?

I was banded two years ago...initially lost 60 lbs. and then it all stopped even though I can't eat much of anything without throwing up...usually just eat slush and mush...soups, watered down mashed potatoes, shakes, etc. I even GAINED about 20 lbs. I'm having an unfill next month because I can't eat and am not losing weight. Please tell me how your doctor is treating it. I was just diagnosed a few months ago...probably had it all my life. Thank you.

Sizewize -

I have had PCOS for many years. I was diagnosed after my daughter was born when I was trying to get pregnant again. At that point I knew nothing about PCOS. The internet wasn't so popular yet so information was not forthcoming. I was given infertility drugs to get pregnant and both times I did but quickly miscarried. Because the emotional pain of miscarrying was so high, I decided to not try anymore. Years went by and I just kept getting heavier, the male hair growth got worse, and the acne was bad. My moods swung from happy to sad. My periods were very very irregular.

One day a co-worker was diagnosed with PCOS as well and asked me questions. Unfortunately, I didn't know anymore then than I had in the beginning so I couldn't tell her much. I started to do some research and found that the internet contained loads of information. One thought is that PCOS is caused by insulin resistance. I decided to try Atkins since that would eliminate a lot of sugar from my diet. Lo and behold, it worked. I lost 55 pounds, my periods went from two-three months apart to every 28 days. My acne cleared up, I had so much energy, I no longer crashed every afternoon.

I maintained a 50 pound weight loss for a couple years but started to allow the carbs back in not paying attention to how many carbs I was actually allowing myself. A 5 pound gain here and there until I realized that I had gained back 20 pounds. I tried to stop it but couldn't. I went back to strictly Atkins but found it hard to stay there because I had gotten the taste of "carbs" that I had restricted myself from for so long. Even when I stuck straight to the plan, the weight continued to come back, I think in large part because of the amount of food I was eating. With the weight coming back, my morning blood sugar levels started to rise into the 100s (but the after meal levels were normal - go figure), my acne came back, I was tired again, periods went from 28 days to 5 weeks to 6 weeks, etc...

I went to a dermatologist for the acne who suggested I see an endocrinologist to treat the entire problem rather than just the acne. My endocrinologist ran a lot of blood tests and determined that my male hormone levels were too high and placed me on spironolactone. This has a mild effect on the blood pressure (lowers it) but it also reduced my testosterone levels so that my acne is gone. Because it is dangerous for a developing fetus when the mother is on spironolactone, the doctor also placed me on Yasmin to prevent pregnancy. This also has a positive effect on my symptoms.

I have gained back 45 of those original 55 pounds lost and am at 220. Once I got to about 195 on my upward trend I kind of gave up on my diet and ate anything I wanted to. I now know I will always need to lean towards a low carb diet because of the insulin resistance. I know it works for me. The biggest thing I've needed help with is Portion Control.

Does this help? In a nut shell, since I am not trying to get pregnant, I am being treated with spironolactone and Yasmin. If I were trying to get pregnant, they might treat me with Metformin.

hello there, banded on 3/5/07 age 60 1 fill lost 70 lbs to date and still going. You really need to get the rules and diet down. whey protien in choc. go to a health dood store and buy a big can of it. Mix it with ice and Water in a blender it gets very thick and tastes great you need one every day for at least 2 weeks . It has 37 grams of protien per shake you will be on Clear Liquids the first week then 1/2 cup never ever a whole cup-of grits oatmeal anything that is soft and easy to swollow. Remember to drink losts of water and caffeine free ice tea coffee no soda no matter what and no drinking with meals. you should only eat 3x a day. Little portions . If you over eat the band will stretch and defeat the purpose. You must follow a very strict diet. I am a type 2 diabetic and use to take 3 shots a day my sugars always in the 200's. now I take 1 shot a day .06units. I am on the tred mill every day and I have never felt better in my life. Do not forget flinstone chewable vitamins. 3 x a day--. Good Luck

Hello,

I am scheduled to get the band Dec 18th. I 'm excited and scared at the same time.:)