Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Guys Room: Walking shoes for obese men.

I've been wearing New Balance sneakers and shoes for years. Their wide widths, orthopedic insert friendliness, and motion control have been great for both my feet and knees. Wondering if any of you gentlemen have experience with Dr. Scholl's, Skechers, Asics or other brands marketed as walking shoes for obese men.

Edited by Nikasio

Nik -- I have, like you, historically gone with New Balance because they carry size 18 EW. However, I recently started walking with a pair of Dunham leather mid-tops for more support. The soles are just like walking shoes, but the tops look more like a boot. Not too sporty, but it has cut the pain in my ankles.

Just a few months post-op, I took up walking for my exercise. My goal was to get in 10,000 steps a day. But I had serious foot pain that kept me in my chair most of the time and the least bit of over exertion to my feet would put me out of commission for days.

I found these shoes, that are made for diabetics, are extra cushony and let me insert an extera 3/4 inch of padding (Dr. Schoals inserts, plus the shoes come with extra padding inserts). I've had 2 pair of these and put average of 3 miles a day of walking on them for almost 2 years. I swear by these shoes.

I think they are a bit pricy at $109, but they let me get in my walking, without causing foot pain.

http://www.phc-online.com/Orthofeet_Therapeutic_p/boot-581.htm

post-147109-0-29505200-1432211934_thumb.jpg

The Dunhams look nice, whereas the Orthofeet shoes seem functional. The Orthofeet shoes remind me of the diabetic shoes I use to buy my mom. She loved the velcro and that the insoles didn't cut into her feet. Whereas my dad loved my used New Balance sneakers. He insisted that since we had the same shoe size and width that I give him my used sneakers. I broke them in nicely for him. His favorites were the NB 1400 and 1500. I'd buy them, scuff them up a bit and give them to him as if they were old. It gave him the opportunity to whine about how when he grew up in the depression he would wear out shoes until they had holes in them and then some more. He would then wear them with his dress suits and fedora hat like some modern day hipster.

Edited by Nikasio

NB are great shoes, but my favorite are Brooks. They are a little pricey but well worth it in my opinion. They come in extra wide width. One of their models (addiction walkers, I think) I hear are quite good. But my go to shoe for the past 5 years or so has been the brooks beast actually.

I have tried New Balances as well... but recently I have been buying Merrils, their jungle mock line. I have a high arch and used to travel alot (not any more) so going through airport security is hard with tie shoes. These are slip ons have a very comfortable and removable insole and no bending over to tie your shoes... the come in wide width.. and a friend, who normally wears a 12 4E shoe fits comfortably in them... I am currently on my 6th pair. I have a pair for work and pair for home....

Thanks for sharing

Merell mocs are great for just slipping on and walking. I've bought these, but they were not as orthopedic insert friendly as I hoped.

When I was Obese, and had nerve pain from diabetes, I found "Brooks" to be the best...

I once thought I was being smart about cracks in callouses and my diabetic foot issues. I use to be a good brother and buy raw coconut butter for my sister's pregnancy stretch marks. Stuff worked wonderfully on her skin. So I tried it on my cracked feet and slipped out of my socks and fell one night.

So the ladies at work told me about shea butter. Who am I to look down at hundreds of years experience with African health and beauty products. Stuff worked wonderfully. The cracks in my callouses healed and the skin on my feet are nicely hydrated.

Going back to shoes, I ended up ordering Rockport Eurekas and New Balance 928's. If I find the brands you gents suggested at the mall, I will try them out. The Brooks Beast is a great looking running shoe, but at $150 it is out my frugal price range.

Thanks again.

I went to the Brooks website and used their stride analysis and bought the pair they recommended. They are the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned.

Edited by Dub