Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve to MGB in 18 days

Hi! Sorry about my writing/grammar, English is not my first language.

I had a sleeve gastrectomy done on April 25 2015. Things went wrong after surgery, I couldn't drink enough fluids, I couldn't´t sleep and I regurgitated every and all the night. I ended up in the ER on may 10, and on may 13 my bariatric surgeon did a Mini Gastric Bypass. I´m a few days post-op but I feel much better, I can tolerate Clear liquids and my progress is steady an headed to recovery.

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself to the group, I have been studying a lot about the MGB, I´m an M.D. so I think it helps. I have a couple questions for the experts:

1.-Sleeve gastrectomy + MGB = better results?

2.-What do you think about juicing....I´m thinking about buying a Nutribullet and use it for Breakfast

Hi there ! Wow, you've been through a lot in a short time !! I'm glad you are doing better. I had my MGB on 4/23 I was a revision from the sleeve which was a revision from the band (yep, 3 for me). Your first question is hard to answer because your sleeve was so new and also because the first part of the MGB is basically the sleeve. In other words your experience will be different than mine because I was a sleeve patient for 2 years. I would guess your experience will be exactly like that of an MGB patient since essentially that's what you had only in a 2 step process. In fact I once read that Dr. Rutledge commented that he if had performed 100 MGBs then he had performed 100 gastric sleeves. My experience is different because restrictive procedures are not new to my body and my portion size is much larger than yours will be. As far as juicing, I'm a huge fan !! I have a breville and I love Joe Cross ! Just be aware of your fruits, too much sugar even natural sugars may not agree with your new insides and could cause dumping. The other thing is you won't get much Protein from juicing and it may not keep you full long so I would prob supplement with it and not make it a primary form of nutrition. Hope this helps !!

Thank you very much for your reply, lots of good ideas and tips. How much fluid/food can a MGB patient hold? Wright now I'm on a clear liquid diet, and I'm trying lo learn on my own about my future diet. My surgeon was excellent, but his support staff (nutritionist, etc) are not.

Everyone is a little different, but don't judge it while you're on liquids and puréed because usually those go down easier. You will notice more restriction when you move on to real foods again. Just go slow because chances are you will be numb for awhile and not really feel full so just go with a couple ounces every few hours and work your way up from there. Staying hydrated is the most important thing right now and then Vitamins and Protein, also watch your salt intake as in you will need to add salt or some even lick it off the palm of their hand to be sure to get enough. Gatorade is a great option too for electrolytes. Don't rush too soon into advancing foods though, your body's been through a lot. My support staff isn't great either because I had surgery in Mexico this last time but I worked with a bariatric surgeon for over six years and I had my band in 2007 so I'm no stranger to weight loss surgery. I'll try to help if you have questions.

I did one week of Clear Liquids, one week of full liquids (protein shakes and cream Soups, yogurt) then a week of purée like apple sauce and really runny mashed potatoes and then a week of cottage cheese, refried Beans type foods before moving onto soft regular foods.

You are a real source of knowledge :)

Thank you so much!

My Delightful first VSG turned Nightmare @ "resleeve"

7 years ago I had a VSG with the wonderful now deceased Dr. Aceves. He was the most caring gentle sweet man and absolutely brilliant,no scars, he was there with me when I woke. He spent untold time with me personally. I loved him and the surgery was so successful. I lost 105 pounds, came within 3 pounds of my goal weight and was ECSTATIC.

A year and a half ago I had to leave my home state and move to rural NorCal to care for my aging parents. My active lifestyle screeched to a halt.. nothing to do here. The move was very difficult as I had lived in AK all my life and developed an amazing network of friends, had a booming business and a home i loved. I went through a terrible depression and a very sedentary lifestyle. Needless to say I began to gain weight. More depression. More weight. More depression, more weight. 40 pounds later I looked for a solution and found Dr. Almanza who proposed a 'resleeve" I did not know because I did not research that any reputable doctor would NEVER do a resleeve over a successful sleeve.. I does not work because the side of the stomach does not expand evenly.

With no research and desperation I made appt with ALMANZA. My first impression when I met him was he is terrible narcissistic. He paid NO personal attention to the patients... quick promises and all talk about HIM, his 6 pack abs, his good looks, etc. It was too late for me. I was THERE. I awoke to the most horrible scars... and I have experienced absolutely NO feeling of reduced appetite. I believe in my heart that he opened me up, ran into scar tissue from a previou Lipo job and said to heck with this and sewed me back up. A veterinarian would have done a better job at putting me back together. My scars are hideous and I have had NO weight loss. All he did was appear to the 'group once to extol his own virtues and we never saw him again. Now his staff blames my meds which are the SAME meds I was on with Dr. Aceves during the original surgery. SO if my meds would prevent weight loss....WHY oh why would the even take my money, promise my goal and do an ineffective surgery??? I asked for 1500 dollar back and they wont refund anything. I pegged him as a blowhard narcissist the night and the only time we met him... but it was too late. NEVER buy into the "resleeve"... it isnt "a real thing' done by any reputable doctor, but rather just a RIP off. Almanza is a quack and ripoff in my opinion. (unless it was a botched sleeve to begin with)

Almanza is an absolute cocky, self absorbed, swindler, and fraudster. In my opinion and experience. I would advise avoiding him completely. I made a terrible mistake and lost a good amount of money. I so wish Dr. Aceves were still alive. I just dont know what to do now. WHAT do I do now?

I have now done some research and the only reason a 'resleeve' is usually done is to fix an original sleeve that was botched. (not my situation). At this point, someone in my situation needs a Mini Gastric Bypass. It has been suggested to me once that a plication would apply but I dont agree.

I have been beat to crap on the message boards ... expressing my feelings and experience... even accused of being a 'ruse' working for another doctor and trying to steer business his way, OMG it breaks my heart to share the awful weight (no pun intended) of being an obese person with others who share the same but are so judgemental and cruel. I must grow thicker skin. so now i am looking for a safe and reputable place (my beloved Dr. Aceves has passed) and his clinic is just too expensive for me... after the $$ I wasted with Almanzo. Ohhhhh my gawd this is just such a dilemma. I was never happier than when people were telling me i was too thin. Superficial?? Maybe ... but the feelings are REAL. and i know there are a few of you who 'get it'. And the others want to bash the crap out of me. yes, my happiness revolves around my weight and size. so kill me.

Remember with all surgeries they are a tool and not a magic wand. I believe one can choose any surgery and the onus is on the individual to make it work. Anybody can regain weight after surgery.

Guest ClaireInCanada

My Delightful first VSG turned Nightmare @ "resleeve"

7 years ago I had a VSG with the wonderful now deceased Dr. Aceves. He was the most caring gentle sweet man and absolutely brilliant,no scars, he was there with me when I woke. He spent untold time with me personally. I loved him and the surgery was so successful. I lost 105 pounds, came within 3 pounds of my goal weight and was ECSTATIC.

A year and a half ago I had to leave my home state and move to rural NorCal to care for my aging parents. My active lifestyle screeched to a halt.. nothing to do here. The move was very difficult as I had lived in AK all my life and developed an amazing network of friends, had a booming business and a home i loved. I went through a terrible depression and a very sedentary lifestyle. Needless to say I began to gain weight. More depression. More weight. More depression, more weight. 40 pounds later I looked for a solution and found Dr. Almanza who proposed a 'resleeve" I did not know because I did not research that any reputable doctor would NEVER do a resleeve over a successful sleeve.. I does not work because the side of the stomach does not expand evenly.

With no research and desperation I made appt with ALMANZA. My first impression when I met him was he is terrible narcissistic. He paid NO personal attention to the patients... quick promises and all talk about HIM, his 6 pack abs, his good looks, etc. It was too late for me. I was THERE. I awoke to the most horrible scars... and I have experienced absolutely NO feeling of reduced appetite. I believe in my heart that he opened me up, ran into scar tissue from a previou Lipo job and said to heck with this and sewed me back up. A veterinarian would have done a better job at putting me back together. My scars are hideous and I have had NO weight loss. All he did was appear to the 'group once to extol his own virtues and we never saw him again. Now his staff blames my meds which are the SAME meds I was on with Dr. Aceves during the original surgery. SO if my meds would prevent weight loss....WHY oh why would the even take my money, promise my goal and do an ineffective surgery??? I asked for 1500 dollar back and they wont refund anything. I pegged him as a blowhard narcissist the night and the only time we met him... but it was too late. NEVER buy into the "resleeve"... it isnt "a real thing' done by any reputable doctor, but rather just a RIP off. Almanza is a quack and ripoff in my opinion. (unless it was a botched sleeve to begin with)

Almanza is an absolute cocky, self absorbed, swindler, and fraudster. In my opinion and experience. I would advise avoiding him completely. I made a terrible mistake and lost a good amount of money. I so wish Dr. Aceves were still alive. I just dont know what to do now. WHAT do I do now?

I have now done some research and the only reason a 'resleeve' is usually done is to fix an original sleeve that was botched. (not my situation). At this point, someone in my situation needs a Mini Gastric Bypass. It has been suggested to me once that a plication would apply but I dont agree.

I have been beat to crap on the message boards ... expressing my feelings and experience... even accused of being a 'ruse' working for another doctor and trying to steer business his way, OMG it breaks my heart to share the awful weight (no pun intended) of being an obese person with others who share the same but are so judgemental and cruel. I must grow thicker skin. so now i am looking for a safe and reputable place (my beloved Dr. Aceves has passed) and his clinic is just too expensive for me... after the $$ I wasted with Almanzo. Ohhhhh my gawd this is just such a dilemma. I was never happier than when people were telling me i was too thin. Superficial?? Maybe ... but the feelings are REAL. and i know there are a few of you who 'get it'. And the others want to bash the crap out of me. yes, my happiness revolves around my weight and size. so kill me.

I had 30 years of scar tissue in my surgery. I also know the names you get Called when you fail at WLS. try dr. Ponce de leon thru Bariatric Pal. I am beyond satisfied. Hit me up if you want to vent.

dr. Ponce de leon was my surgeon. He really is one of the greatest!!!

Guest ClaireInCanada

Hey @@Manuel Lopez Ganoza he sure is!!!

I am almost 5 weeks out and still following the instructions that were given.

liquids except Water are easy peasy for me to get down so I use my blender lots. I think you will be fine as long as you include some Protein powder in whatever you are blending.

I noticed the more Protein I do the more I lose

Yayy Team Ponce. He is the Expert for complicated cases

Hola Manuel! I had my VSG back in November 2011, lost about 52 lbs and a year later I got pregnant with baby number 2. I gained every single pound back during pregnancy. Is been 2 years since my baby was born and I'm about 6 lbs shy of reaching my pre-op. I am devastated! I have GERD, hypertension and I'm pre diabetic. My doctor said there is nothing to do and suggested gastric bypass. Reading your post gives me some hope. I am very scared of another procedure that seems a lot more drastic than the vertical sleeve. I'm happy to see you are doing well.

Greetings, Maria.

Hola Manuel! I had my VSG back in November 2011, lost about 52 lbs and a year later I got pregnant with baby number 2. I gained every single pound back during pregnancy. Is been 2 years since my baby was born and I'm about 6 lbs shy of reaching my pre-op. I am devastated! I have GERD, hypertension and I'm pre diabetic. My doctor said there is nothing to do and suggested gastric bypass. Reading your post gives me some hope. I am very scared of another procedure that seems a lot more drastic than the vertical sleeve. I'm happy to see you are doing well.

Greetings, Maria.

Hi MariaVSG!! Thank you for your comment and wishes. Compared to the pain I had the first 12 hours after VSG, the MGB was a walk in the park. I think I have mentioned it before, I 'm an M.D. (Psychiatrist) and I think I took the decision of having a VSG to soon. I'm convinced the MGB it´s a better procedure (at least for me). Be prepared to have more gas then expected, forget about the GERD and Constipation. Everything will be alright!!

So sorry for what you have been through. Try to put yourself first and treat yourself as you would want to treat someone else.