Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfilling (is that a word?) before vacation, your thoughts?

I've had surgery only 2 months ago, and have lost 28 lbs so far. So this isn't really a question that pretains to me, it's hypothetical at this point, but am curious what people think about this.

My doc told me that he would have no problem loosening me up as much as I want before going away on vacation or something, as long as I promise to come back. He then told me of some person that came in for a loosening before a religious Holiday where he knew he wanted to eat alot. Long story short, in two weeks, the guy gained 28 lbs!! He came back for his fill and lost in shortly thereafter. I guess my question here is, what do you think? Would you ever consider doing something like that?

To me, since I'm still trying to lose it all, that sounds absurd, but I'm wondering if down the road once I lose it all (crosses fingers) if I go away on vacation if I'd want to do something like that. I honestly don't know.

My fill RN told me that there was no way she would unfill me if I just wanted to go on vacay to eat to my hearts content. I don't think I would WANT to gain 28 pounds back!!! That would suck, plus clothes would be tight again!!! I have not had a fill as of now though, and can eat anything I want, so ask me in a year or two and the answer might be different. Deanna

Wow, how have you lost 47 lbs without a fill?? After a week after surgery I was eating almost as much as I did before, and wasn't losing an ounce! I was going crazy! I've had two fills already in two months, and am seriously contemplating another one in the next week or so.

Yeah, I am really not sure how I have done it. I exercise a lot!! I started walking right out of surgery, like an hour later and slowly worked my way up to two miles about two weeks out. Then I got a bike and started doing that. I now ride 50-70 miles a week. I had a weight set, and started doing basic weight training and then bought a bowflex and started using that. I feel like a skinny person now. Its weird, when I look at pictures of myself I am like...is that all I have lost...I feel way skinnier than I am, LOL. I am at 49 pounds down as of last week so on Thursday I will see if I have hit the 50 pound mark. I only weigh once a week. Good job on your weight loss and keep up the good work. I also think that I have some restriction without a fill because I can be eating and then all of a sudden I have a really weird feeling..can't even explain it, like a tightening in my chest and then I burp. Thats when I stop eating. There have been a few times I have NOT stopped eating when I get that burp, and I am sorry. Not because I PB or slime, just feels miserable and STUFFED!!! Deanna

I had heard that you could get an unfill before a vacation too. It sounded pretty good to me! I think I could only do it though if I felt I could really enjoy food without going overboard.

My surgery was only last Friday, so I'm pretty far out from even contemplating it though.

I just went to Hawaii for 10 days, and didn't give a single thought to not eating or drinking something because I "shouldn't". I didn't gain a single pound. I would never get unfilled before vacation, unless I'd already been contemplating an unfill (too tight, etc), then I'd get it just to avoid problems.

It just sounds really counter productive, and kind of against the point of the band.

I would never do it. Once you've done it once, I fear you'd be back before every Christmas dinner, birthdays etc or you might not get back for a refill etc and you'd be on a losing/gaining cycle all the time, so not good for you.

And I just think you have to break that mentality where you think that just becuase its vacation you have permission to pig out a bit. Last vacation I went on was the best I'd had in my life precisely because we ate out, yes, we drank, yes, but we kept it in proportion, ate healthy for the rest of the time, I ran every day and I got home and had lost another 2kg.

That feeling beats the hell out of stuffing my face for 2 weeks and coming home fat, bloated and having to diet for weeks to undo the damage.

I thought about that too because I miss eating all the food with family at Thanksgiving and Christmas time.

I'm still considering whether I'll eat any junk food, but I've decided that I won't be getting an unfill. It would be way too easy to ruin so much you've worked for just to have a little while of overeating pleasure.

I would rather be able to take a great picture with my family next year than eat like crap for a few days and knowingly contribute to slowly killing myself as I've done my entire life.

I think that's a wise decision.

Vacations arent all about eating, but they're not all about denial either. Eat some good things and ENJOY them! Just use your band to keep it in moderation and enjoy the wonderful feeling of coming home in good shape.

I get a very small unfill before traveling, because when I fly I can't even keep saliva down for 48 hours after. So my unfill makes me at normal restriction after flying. Then a week after I get home I go back and get that tiny bit put back. I usually try to schedual a chack-up at the same time so the doc can check out my bloodwork and take a peek at my band (my fills are all with fluro) at the same time. We discovered the hard way that flying really screws with my restriction, I spent most of my vacation feeling like crap in 90+ temps, and struggling to drink even Water. ~Mandy

I think you really need to stop and think about your actual thinking here. :scalesno:

Seriously, the whole idea behind the band is so that we can be like normal people and eat like normal people. With the band, for the most part, you can still eat all the regular foods you would normally eat anyway, right? So doing an unfill would serve what purpose? Allow you to eat like a cow again? I mean, that is what we do without a band, right?

Isn't it a bit like suggesting an alcoholic drink since they are on vacation?

The only value is so that you can eat mega portions. We are trying to get OUT of that mindset, not find excuses to go back to that way of thinking. We are trying to be normal again when it comes to food issues, not find reasons to go backwards.

I think you really need to stop and think about your actual thinking here. :scalesno:

Seriously, the whole idea behind the band is so that we can be like normal people and eat like normal people. With the band, for the most part, you can still eat all the regular foods you would normally eat anyway, right? So doing an unfill would serve what purpose? Allow you to eat like a cow again? I mean, that is what we do without a band, right?

Isn't it a bit like suggesting an alcoholic drink since they are on vacation?

The only value is so that you can eat mega portions. We are trying to get OUT of that mindset, not find excuses to go back to that way of thinking. We are trying to be normal again when it comes to food issues, not find reasons to go backwards.

The two points I bolded are the two I disagree with.

First, no you really can't eat the same foods. Not at all. When was the last time you had a steak, or a slice of pizza? Big big no nos after the band.

Secondly, an alcoholic has no help to stop drinking. There's nothing that will give him the same "high" like alcohol. With the band, if you go back for your tightening, you have the same "full" sensation which is why it works so well in the first place.

Again, I don't think I would do it, but there's no question that you can enjoy many more foods when it's unfilled.

First, no you really can't eat the same foods. Not at all. When was the last time you had a steak, or a slice of pizza? Big big no nos after the band.

I had a slice of pizza last weekend. One slice, and I was happy. Not the best choice to loose weight I know, but I decided that I was going to have a treat once in a while even if it slowed my weight loss. I've had steak as well. Really, the only things I can't eat are soft white bread, and often rice.

Granted, there are things that are better choices then others for us, like everyone else out there.

The two points I bolded are the two I disagree with.

steak is no problem for me at all. i have it a couple times a week. pizza? i've had it within the past month or so, but i am trying as low carb as possible, so not in my cards right now. but if i want a piece of pizza, i can eat it.

I had pizza over the weekend, it was delight from papa murphys. Half the calories and carbs of normal pizza, loaded with Protein and really very good. It's a cracker thin crust, with chicken,spinich, feta cheese, garlic and sun dried tomatos. I had several pieces over the weekend. No guilt. It was good, but not "real pizza" I guess.

I also have steak all the time. I eat a playing card deck size piece, and some veggies and I'm done. I don't have any problems with steak.

That being said I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I am unable to eat Rice, Pasta, and most bread. Like I said before I have to be partially unfilled before flying, and you better believe I have a grilled cheese sandwich before going back for a fill. I don't go crazy with double cheese burgers and fries (another no-no for me) But I do have a single grilled cheese sandwich.

I always joke with my band doc and I will see him in a few weeks, and a few pounds heavier, but it has never happened. I still manage to lose weight even when I am less restricted. I still share meals with my daughter, and we share Desserts too. I still avoid carbonation, sugar and carbs. Just because I lose some restriction doesn't mean I lose my mind too. ~Mandy