Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is Monday, I have not done well on my pre op diet at all and I'm getting very scared. Wondering if I'm doing the right thing and considering canceling.

:think

Sometimes it's hard to know the right thing to say. I was a total wreck the day before my surgery, and I cried my eyes out wondering if I was doing the right thing. Well, I did go through with it, and it's turned out to be the best thing I think I've ever done for myself. I can't emphasize that enough.

That being said, are you ready for the changes that this surgery will impose on you? You said that you weren't very good on your pre-op diet...you'll have to commit yourself whole heartedly to your post op diet instructions to allow your band to heal in place. We aren't given the pre- and post-op diets just because the doctor wants to torture us. There is a reason for them. You just have to tell yourself, IT'S ONLY TEMPORARY, and you will be able to eat solid food again, just not right away.

If you're not ready, then you're not ready. The choice is yours, you have to do what's best for you.

Good luck, and let us know about your decision. I'm praying for you!

I was just banded two days ago. I can tell you I wasn't perfect on my pre-op diet, but I still lost the ten pounds that they wanted me to lose beforehand. I was pretty nervous about meeting that goal too. It was hard because I knew it would be a long time if ever that I'd be able to enjoy some of my favorite foods ( sushi, thai dishes with noodles, etc). I didn't go on any all-out binges, but like I said, I wasn't perfect.

You will have to be perfect in your post op diet though. I'm two days in so not too far...and honestly, I think it's because of the surgery, that I'm not hungry at all. I'm really glad of that because of all of the self-talk I did to myself before the surgery. Even thinking of missing certain foods made me more depressed. I can see missing people, places, friends, and pets...but I felt pretty pathetic thinking I was going to miss having another sub sandwich in my life...or a beer....or champagne....

To rethink this surgery is normal and perhaps a very good thing. You will be certain that this is right for you when you do do it. I felt it was rather surreal from two days before the surgery until one day after...I wasn't sure I was reallllly going to do it. Looking at my pros and cons list, I knew that I had a limited choice if I wanted to get a stronghold on my eating disorder (binge-ing). Once I had it done, I couldn't hardly believe I had done it...now that I have five tiny incisions showing me what I did to myself it's easier to believe. Now I'm left with a deep seated hope that this will be the answer for my brain and body.

That being said....everyone rethinks it, everyone's nervous and excited. Think about when you were making this decision for the first time and how resolved you were to have this done. Rely on that strength to get you through.

I know I didn't want to have to need the lap band. I wanted to be stronger than needing or wanting a surgical answer to my problematic eating. I look at the Lap Band as a huge helping of "hope." I hope that this procedure works out better than I can dream. Follow your doctors orders after Monday for your post-op diets and talk to the nurses, doctors and others out there that have been through all of this.

Good luck and let me know how your surgery goes. We'll all keep ourselves inspired! Deal?

I also re-thought before my surgery. But, my concern centered on my recovery and how long it would be before I was able to get back to doing the things I wanted. I am also a bread eater, so thinking about not being able to eat sandwiches again was a little disheartening as well. But, when I thought about how much good I was doing myself and how much better off I'd be, I couldn't change my mind.

I'm three weeks out now and loving life. I admit I'm a little tired of pureed food, but every day is a new adventure because my clothes are already looser and I feel fantastic. I can't wait to get on soft food and start trying some other things. I'm walking every day and would never go back!

Hang in there, but you need to do some serious thinking to make sure that you're ready for the changes you'll have to make and the changes that you'll notice as you lose weight.

I also re-thought before my surgery. But, my concern centered on my recovery and how long it would be before I was able to get back to doing the things I wanted. I am also a bread eater, so thinking about not being able to eat sandwiches again was a little disheartening as well. But, when I thought about how much good I was doing myself and how much better off I'd be, I couldn't change my mind.

I'm three weeks out now and loving life. I admit I'm a little tired of pureed food, but every day is a new adventure because my clothes are already looser and I feel fantastic. I can't wait to get on soft food and start trying some other things. I'm walking every day and would never go back!

Hang in there, but you need to do some serious thinking to make sure that you're ready for the changes you'll have to make and the changes that you'll notice as you lose weight!!!

Thanks guys so much for your replies!! Keep the prayers coming and any thoughts you may have! Everything helps! My son is leaving for the beach so I'll be back on in a bit.

I went though the same thing

The night before surgery I had insane urges to eat everything I thought I could put in my stomache...like multiple cheeseburgers a whole pizza, thinking it was the last time in my life I could ever binge.

But, I didn't, because that would have really screwed up the surgery

I was terrified about getting it until it was lights out for me. Even as they put the oxygen mask on me I made the nurse tell me everything was going to be OK...lol. Allthough, the only other surgery I had was getting my wisdom teeth removed...

But when I woke up I knew I made the right decision!

Don't worry, it'll all turn out ok!

I think my 2 biggest concerns are # 1 the fact that i haven't followed the pre op diet. I havent binged or gained weight or anything, just haven't been able to follow and # 2 health/complications ect

I don't know if I was lucky or not that I didn't have to do a pre-op diet. I'm glad I didn't because I had a chance to get all of those last times in that I wanted. But, on the other hand, I also probably ate way more than I should have. I can tell you, though, I did not want ANYTHING to eat for about a week after surgery. I had to force myself to take in liquids and Protein. It was really about a week before I felt anything that remotely resembled hunger and even then it wasn't really. Now, I actually do get hungry. My hardest thing now is slowing down and not drinking when I eat. But, so far, so good. My husband is my cheering section. He watches how I'm eating and offers advice to help slow it down. And, we go for walks together. Great motivation.

I didn't have to do preop so I can't give any advice there but I can tell you that you'll do just great. It's something about having that tool inside you helping you along the way. I did the postop diet and haven't had any problems since and I'm coming up on my one year bandiversary. There are lots of people who've lost faster than me. I've only lost 70 pounds in a year but I would have gained 40 so I figure with the band I'm 110 pounds to the good. We'll be praying for you and I'll keep you in my thoughts. Pm me if you need to talk. You'll be fine.

Beachgirl,

"only 70"

70lbs in a year is a HUGE deal!! Congradualtions

and back to Tracy,

The complications are such a minor minor risk with the lapband

And I know alot of people weren't that great with pre-op diet

just focus on the post-op

I'm on day 3 and having noo problems, I barley even want to drink anything

Hey, my surgery is scheduled for Monday as well. I wasn't as good as I should have been either. I'm starving right now with the liquid diet; Crystal Light just isn't cutting it, but my doctor told me to keep it under 1000 calories. Geez, I could do that with solid food, but when you consider Protein Powder and skim milk is 190 for an 8 oz. glass, it's tough! Earlier this week I bought a watermelon and didn't blend it first; it was heaven! Don't back out. What brought you to the point of wanting the surgery? Think back. For me, it was medications; it was not being able to cut my toe nails well and any tie shoes were just ruled out. I was having trouble wiping myself well enough--sorry, but it's true. With the 30 pounds I've lost pre op, the last three issues have gone away. Now I'm fantasizing about buying clothes off of the rack and not having to alter them. Keep your focus as to why you want this. I hope this helps. I'll check in as soon as I'm able. I'm nervous about the gas pain after. Oh well, it too, shall pass! Barb

bsimoes,

I'm not gunna lie, I like many others have the gas pain

But it's only day 3 and it's better than yesterday

And what's a few days of pain for a life time of a new body!

Ps. Way to go with loosing 30lb's pre-op!

Congradulations to all your successes, I love hearing your stories, and thank you for all of your support!!!! Please keep em coming lol I have one more day to get through. After reading off and on all day (ive been very busy LOL) I'm not feeling too bad or scared about the pre op diet now and I'm feeling much better about the surgery. Ive been back and forth with my decision. One day Im ready to go and the next Im freaking out! I have a history of health problems most of which started when I turned 38 and it makes me a big worry wart (scaredy cat) I want this weight off # 1 for health reasons!!! I obviousley can't do it on my own as much as I'd like to or I would have during the last 13 years. My baby just turned 14 yrs old and I was never able to lose after my last child. I need this tool to help me. I know theres health risk with being over weight, which Im trying to get rid of my high BP and avoid diabetes and other things, but the surgery scares me too. I think Im back on track! This place is wonderful! I love all of the people and stories and support! I have to wonder why some people are in terrible pain and others are ready to go back to work on day 2??? What is the average down time? Its scary after reading some things I feel like Ill be in the bed in pain for a week or two ;)

Tracy - your surgery was today right? When you're feeling better, try to post and let us know how you're feeling.

Good luck and welcome to BandLand!