Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everyone, I am currently 1 month post op and took my accidental sip of 7up a few days ago. It was offered at a wedding I attended. I saw that the glass was clear and it was just that one glass so I took it and had that accidental sip. To my surprise there was no bloating, discomfort or nausea. I'm really surprised because I was told to avoid carbonated drinks early on because it might cause discomfort. Today I took a few sips of 7up free and again nothings wrong. What do I do at this point? I'm not THAT addicted to carbonated drinks but I can have an occasional drink. Am I going down the wrong path? I'm definitely not going to be guzzling down a lot of the drinks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Surgery I had was the Gastric Sleeve. Am I causing too much trouble for my stomach at this stage?

Edited by LeoRintona

What do I do at this point?

Well, you either follow your diet rules or you don't. That's what it boils down to.

took accidental sip of 7up

@@LeoRintona

Oh no :o

people have been shot for less :huh: :D :lol:

welcome to the boards and congrats on your first post! :)

you have been told not to drink soda

so......knock it off :angry: :D

no more soda for you dude!!

even if you didn't have problems drinking the soda

listen to your doc

he's the one in the know

ask any and all questions

read the boards thoroughly

you might see someone else ask a question you are also curious/interested in

everybody is very nice and helpful here (especially me :D )

you'll see/hear/get comments, experiences, help and support from other members :)

at the end of the day..........

always/only listen to your NUT/surgeon :)

you asked "going down the wrong path??"

you are probably/hopefully following all the rules you have been given

so you are on the right road/path to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

i can feel it in my bones that you will do great!!

good luck with your new tummy and sleeve :)

kathy

Since you seem to be able to take it or leave it, why stray off the program now? I think you should save the experimentation until your sleeve is more mature and you have become fixed in your new healthy eating style.

Your sleeve most likely won't be fully healed until you are 3 months post op. I was told the bubbles could compromise the effectiveness of the sleeve, and could slow healing. If you can hold off for a while, that's probably your best bet. Glad you had no discomfort!

Best,

Amy

I drink diet Pepsi everyday and I have since probably 2 months post-op. I really doubt it is going to hurt your sleeve, but I wasn't sure how the caffeine (which does Sprite have that?) would affect my stomach. I would personally wait a month or so yet, then enjoy all the diet Sprite (not the real stuff!) that you want. Once your stomach is healed it will not hurt you and they mostly discourage you from drinking soda because they don't want people drinking all of their calories in Coke. Diet soda isn't healthy, but strictly in terms of this surgery, it's not going to hurt you. Your stomach isn't a closed system, so after your sleeve has heeled, all of the fizzing will just make you burp, it won't stretch your sleeve. I am 1 year and 7 months out, still have major constriction, and disregarded the soda rule, so that would be what my advise is based on.

I was told by the nurses in my pre op class the REAL reason they tell people to stay away from carbonation is because it is a "gateway drug." You have one SMALL sip and next thing you know you've lost all will power. They had recently seen a woman who was coming in for revision from the sleeve to full bypass because she started just the way you did, a sip at a party. She then figured since it didn't have a negative effect she could have it. Fast forward she was drinking a 2 liter a day and had completely undone everything the surgeon had done for her. You need to ask yourself, is it REALLY worth the risk?

For me I feel diet Pepsi was my downfall. I slipped back into that trap and before you know it I gained 18 lbs. seems like I can eat a lot of food pretty often and so I did. I am trying to get back on track and have cut the diet soda completely and sure enough I feel restriction again. I don't think it's in my head I do believe the carbonation can bloat your stomach and allow you to fit more food in. I'm getting back on track and back to doctors orders! And if it is all in my head so be it. I feel restriction again and that all that matters to me

If this article doesn't make up your mind I don't know what will:

http://time.com/3746047/diet-soda-bad-belly-fat/

Quite terrifying. We spent so much money, time and energy losing weight. I think giving up soda is a small sacrifice.