Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All my tastes have changed post-op

So almost all of the Protein I was drinking pre-op is now absolutely disgusting to me post op. Go figure. So I've basically had to start all over with tasting drinks and finding what works. And everything has to be diluted at least 2:1 with Water for me to even be able to stomach it.

Isopure seems to be going down the best. Alpine Punch was my staple but I ran out. Today I got single bottles of Apple Melon, Coconut and Mango Peach. I'll probably get a case or two of them and revisit my other shakes a few weeks or months down the line and hopefully I can start to tolerate them again. They're so expensive I'd surely hate to waste them or have to give them away. I can't return them since they've been opened.

Hi Im going to have my surgery April 21 and tomorrow I will start my 5 day liquid diet. Yikes :o its not gonna be easy!! This will be a challenge I'm sure. So how did you do on your liquid diet?

For me all Protein shakes taste terrible. The trick is to find one that you can tolerate. I finally landed using Muscle Milk Light (vanilla creme) powder blended in a Ninja blender (single serving size). I found that blending in a banana made it a little more acceptable.

The Protein requirement is the combination of the amount of protein obtained from meals combined with the protein from supplements (Protein Shakes, protein bars). As my meal volume increased, I relied upon homemade high protein chili and Soups. At one cup of food per meal, I am currently consuming around 65 grams of protein from my meals alone. So as I worked my way through the program, I transitioned from 3 Protein Shakes a day, down to 2 per day, down to 1 per day, and eventually none. I currently supplement my protein with a cup of hot cocoa (no sugar added) or a homemade blueberry smoothie.

I tried Isopure Isolate but found it tasted the worst. But if you can tolerate it, then that is a good choice.

I tend to stick with vanilla or unflavored Protein and try to mask the taste with fruits/veggies. Not a fan of chocolate chalky drinks.< /p>

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powders are my favorite - pre- and post-surgery. I especially like the fact that they have a chicken Soup option so everything doesn't always have to be sweet.

Hi Im going to have my surgery April 21 and tomorrow I will start my 5 day liquid diet. Yikes :o its not gonna be easy!! This will be a challenge I'm sure. So how did you do on your liquid diet?

Lucky you only 5 days. I did liquids only for 14 days pre-op. I did very well. Kept myself busy, got rid of all the food from my fridge so I wouldn't be tempted. At times where I would normally be eating, I ran an errand or worked out.

@@James Marusek Isopure diluted with a bit of Water has actually been the best for me to get down. I got a fresh Vitamin shoppe order about a week before surgery of my faves, which are no longer my faves, so I'm going to go exchange them for some isopure bottles today.

@@MrsSugarbabe I just ordered some yesterday, my doctor's office gave me samples and I found them to be perfect. If I can get down a serving of that and a bottle of isopure a day, I will get my minimum 60g in, plus whatever else I get from the little amounts of food I will begin eating.

I absolutely loved Protein shakes pre-op. Once I had surgery, I couldn't stand the taste of Protein Shakes. I had to give them up completely.

I had the same problem. Even Water tasted bad. It was hard drinking anything for about 12 weeks. But my taste buds came back. The only water I could get down was dasani and I didn't like it before then. Now I have no issues.

liquid diet BEFORE SURGERY PLEASE HELP......On my 4th Protein drink and I feeling vomiting and I have a headache. Is this normal? I'm so hungry and need some help can I eat a salad at least! Im feeling sick urhggghhh :(

I had a terrible head-ache on the pre-op liquid diet. For me, the headache came from the sugar withdrawal. It was really hard. But I liked the chocolate Protein drink from HMR. Made the sugar urge go away. And Sytex Fuzzy Navel. My food changed so much my bode rebelled. But today, 4.5 months later. Still no sugar and it feels great.

I did have a hot chocolate and it made me very sick and my first DUMP. I'm sure it was from the sugar in the hot chocolate. No hot chocolate for me unless it's sugar free and those have such a lot of crap in them, I just don't want to drink it.

I had the same problem. Even Water tasted bad. It was hard drinking anything for about 12 weeks. But my taste buds came back. The only Water I could get down was dasani and I didn't like it before then. Now I have no issues.

Plain water hurts my stomach! It's so frustrating because I know how important it is to get down pure water. Once I've had my Protein I can sip down a few oz of plain water. But at any temperature, especially colder than room temp, it hurts so bad.

liquid diet BEFORE SURGERY PLEASE HELP......On my 4th Protein Drink and I feeling vomiting and I have a headache. Is this normal? I'm so hungry and need some help can I eat a salad at least! Im feeling sick urhggghhh :(

Not that I don't think people here will help you, but my topic is pretty specific to post op tastes and you keep asking about your pre-op diet. Perhaps you should post a new topic in the pre op forum specific to your surgery so that you can get more answers. When your topic is in the right place, you've got a greater chance of people who can give you advice seeing it and giving good responses. Thanks and good luck.

i have found since my surgery in February, all mine have changed, and i cannot stand the taste of a lot of things.i thought it was me.so i am thinking a bought going vegan. i see my dietitian Tuesday, and i have a lot of questions too ask her.meat is not very appealing too me right about now.i loved meat but veggies for me are the way too go.