Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling 15 day liquid diet

Is this actually true can't have anything but liquid for 15 days o is my surgeon going overboard ... Like not even vegetables blended like broccoli cream Soup? I'm starving have till 22. Idk idk I'm freaking out

Yes my surgeon is the same way. I made it 12 days only liquids and felt so sick I cancelled my surgery on March 30. I am seeing my MD this Thursday 4/16 and only made it 5 days on all liquids. I have lost 40 pounds. if i lose 5 more my BMI will be too low for my insurance. But I am finding it hard to stay on my diet so I believe I need the sleeve. It is a super hard decision. @@bella7984

If this is too difficult, it is good to give the surgery a second thought. It does NOT get easier, it is tough. Read what others have gone through and are going through. If you don't think you can do it, don't. It takes REAL STRENGTH to do this successfully, and STAY successful. Good luck to you both....

Remember that fat is stored energy, so you will not starve. The head hunger can be really bad, but it will be over before you know it and then you'll be on the other side.

Don't tell yourself you can't eat something...tell yourself you're choosing not to eat something.

The power is all yours on this!

Best of luck!

@@CanyonBaby

If this is too difficult, it is good to give the surgery a second thought. It does NOT get easier, it is tough. Read what others have gone through and are going through. If you don't think you can do it, don't. It takes REAL STRENGTH to do this successfully, and STAY successful. Good luck to you both....

I understand what you are saying completely. That is why I cancelled my surgery and am reconsulting with my surgeon. However I do not believe that there is a strong correlation between success on the preop diet and post op success. The inability to lose weight on structured diet programs over a period of at least 2 years is what led to my insurance approval. This is why I sought out the sleeve. After the removal of 80% of my stomach and most of my hunger hormone I am supposed to have the tools for greater success.

Is this actually true can't have anything but liquid for 15 days o is my surgeon going overboard ... Like not even vegetables blended like broccoli cream Soup? I'm starving have till 22. Idk idk I'm freaking out

Also many surgeons do not require liquids entirely. I am going to speak with mine about moderation. So far I have only been allowed to speak with the office dietitian.

I really believe there is a strong correlation of the diets, because it shows you're intention, your commitment. And you will need those to succeed. Yes, you will have the tools to assist you in your Quest, but they, like any other tool, can't be effective if not used correctly. I am so proud of you for recognizing the seriousness of the surgery, and the commitment required for it to be a success. I read so many times, on this site, about those who do this, do that, and NONE of it following their plan. Failure is evident in those cases. I think you are going to do GREAT! Let us know how you do!

I really believe there is a strong correlation of the diets, because it shows you're intention, your commitment. And you will need those to succeed. Yes, you will have the tools to assist you in your Quest, but they, like any other tool, can't be effective if not used correctly. I am so proud of you for recognizing the seriousness of the surgery, and the commitment required for it to be a success. I read so many times, on this site, about those who do this, do that, and NONE of it following their plan. Failure is evident in those cases. I think you are going to do GREAT! Let us know how you do!

Yes while I have not been able to maintain the Clear Liquids for 2 weeks - it has triggered my severe Migraines with aura which cause blindness in my right eye and caused electrolyte changes which which showed up as irregularities on my EKG I have stuck to a high Protein, low carb diet and have lost 39 pounds preop. I also go to the gym 1 hour each day Commitment is not the issue with the preop diet for most people I have read on this site. It is the feeling ill. As a registered nurse who has taken care of many Bariatric clients post op and many years later with post surgical complications I have my eves open wide. You can't make blanket statements. Each person is an individual. The preop diet should be individualized.

I can only take things as I read them on here, and the posts that I refer to are not related to illness, or feeling ill, per se, but of unwillingness to follow the plans (as the posters themselves refer to), because they want to continue as they have been doing their whole lives up to this point, wishing the surgery were a cure-all to the real issues at hand. I am talking about adjusting diets (pre-op, post-op) opposed to what their particular plan is (and I have to assume that the doctors, being DOCTORS know what they are prescribing for the patient), and the patient going against that plan, for their own reasons.

I Do hope your situation improves. Good luck to you.

I can only take things as I read them on here, and the posts that I refer to are not related to illness, or feeling ill, per se, but of unwillingness to follow the plans (as the posters themselves refer to), because they want to continue as they have been doing their whole lives up to this point, wishing the surgery were a cure-all to the real issues at hand. I am talking about adjusting diets (pre-op, post-op) opposed to what their particular plan is (and I have to assume that the doctors, being DOCTORS know what they are prescribing for the patient), and the patient going against that plan, for their own reasons.

I Do hope your situation improves. Good luck to you.

Thank you for your support and well wishes. Sometimes I think what the OP which was not me is looking for is comraderie. There are so many people who struggle with the preop diet and for every person who posts there are others who afraid of being judged when all they want to hear us "I felt that way and I succeeded ".

Yeah, you're probably right, and that is why I suggested giving it a second thought. I have read a lot of posts from folks who have stated they regret having the surgery, and wished their stomachs back. I wish they would have taken a few extra moments to determine if, indeed, this would be right for them. It is a VERY difficult decision, and some make it too hastily. Take some time, read the posts about questioning the surgery. Ask them why they regret it, this might help make the decision easier.

I, personally am ECSTATIC about having it; it has taken the decision of eating to excess out of my hands. I now can plan on having a longer (although who TRULY knows about that?) life, a healthier life, and a happier life, because I am now starting to CARE about my life so much more than I used to. I used to think "why am I still here, what is the point?". How sad is that? The downward spiral my life was diving into was unbearable. No way out, kinda thing. I wanted out, and this surgery gave me my chance. I took it. I don't regret it. But I DO have regrets in my life about things I cannot change. Regrets are not easy to live with. That's why it is SO important to REALLY learn about this surgery, and ALL the consequences of it, both good and not so good.

I DO wish you all the best, and happy thinking!!!