Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just beginning this process and im trying go to follow my surgeons pre-op instructions

I went to see the NUT yesterday expecting to receive a diet for the next 6 months and she gave me nothing. I was so shocked after she had explained what the diet was I would have to follow after the surgery. I told her that wasn't until 2016 what was I to follow now. She said she doesn't do that, what did the DR say. I told her he said to keep with NS but it isn't working like it should. She said well that is what you want to show the insurance so you can have the sleeve. I was shocked!!! I thought the 6 month supervised diet was to help you change your way of eating and lose weight in preparation for the surgery.

I would love to know from those who have had this surgery and had to do a 6 month supervised diet if this is what happened to you as well or were you given a diet to follow. I realize a lot of you haven't been to the Dr yet so would love to hear what happens when you do see the Dr. Hopefully you will not be as shocked as I was.

I was given the diabetic diet but truthfully, I wasn't very good at it. What I did do faithfully was do one Protein Shake a day, and 2 low carb meals. I lost 25 lbs in 2 months doing that. I am now doing 2 Protein Shakes a day and one low carb meal, I'll do that for a week, then move to a full liquid diet for 10 days. Then I get to have the surgery. I did listen to the surgeons suggestions, no carbonated drinks, pace my fluids, no drinking for 30 minutes before and after meals and of course, the one big problem, eat slowly and chew 30 times for each bite. I am STILL struggling with that one. They told me that if I worked at it before, it would be better after and I'm trusting them on that.

Diet plans can keep your nutrition on track, but it’s always a gamble as to whether they’re really worth the money and time.

Melissa Green from internethealth.org takes the guesswork out of your decision by creating the most comprehensive review of commercial weight loss programs out there.

Go to internethealth.org for more info.

@@ssflbelle, I have been to two NUT visits and all that I have been told is to eat a diet of Protein fruit and veggies and not to worry about calories at this point. I am also working on beating my cravings for fast food and binge-eating, so this is easier said than done. I am really surprised at the fact that my insurance company is even making me do this. She told me that my target weight loss is one pound a month. This almost feels like a joke (and a waste of a copay) but I am going to jump through every hoop that is required of me so that I can get this surgery. I am sorry that you are forced to keep up with NS but you won't be doing it for long... Best of luck!

@@ssflbelle, I have been to two NUT visits and all that I have been told is to eat a diet of Protein fruit and veggies and not to worry about calories at this point. I am also working on beating my cravings for fast food and binge-eating, so this is easier said than done. I am really surprised at the fact that my insurance company is even making me do this. She told me that my target weight loss is one pound a month. This almost feels like a joke (and a waste of a copay) but I am going to jump through every hoop that is required of me so that I can get this surgery. I am sorry that you are forced to keep up with NS but you won't be doing it for long... Best of luck!

Thanks However during the second visit with the surgeon I told him about the NUT visit and this time he told me to get off of NS and eat Protein first then vegs and only 3 meals. He wants me to try now to eat like I will after I have recovered from the surgery. He still did not give me an amount of weight I am to lose but he was happy with the 10 pounds I lost this first month. I see the surgeon 4 more time and the next visit is Aug 24th. He said I will not see the NUT again.

I met a man who had surgery ( he lost 150 and still have 50 more to lose) by the same Dr and he also thought the NUT was not good. He used different words for her. However the surgeon is good and answered all his questions and mine too.